kumar26

New Delhi DCF

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

US embassy New Delhi website does not specifiy any period to show residency in India for DCF purposes.

Could any RECENT filer please post what period of stay in India are they accepting currently to file DCF?

Is it possible for a USC entering India on a long-term work visa to register with FRRO and file DCF in the first month ?

US embassy New Delhi website does not specifiy any period to show residency in India for DCF purposes.

Could any RECENT filer please post what period of stay in India are they accepting currently to file DCF?

Is it possible for a USC entering India on a long-term work visa to register with FRRO and file DCF in the first month ?

hey

well to get a residency in india you have to stay in india for a period of 3 months. You have to work in india,,show them them work proof ,tax paying proof, or having any property in india etc....you can only apply DCF when your 3 month period is over.. To get residency in india USC has to saty in india for 3 months ..thats compulsory...you cant apply before 3 months...and you should have all the proof of residency in india...thats important too..

My Timeline

14/07/2007----Met at Cousins Party (Notre dame, Indiana)

15/07/2007----Started talking (Exchange phone numbers)

31/08/2007----went back to India (For Family Issues)

2/10/2007---- Came Back to USA (Started living together)

12/12/2007----MARRIED in INDIANA,USA

07/03/2008----Gone to India (family Issues) Coudnt go back to USA Visa got finished!!!

23/08/2008---- My wife came to india (stayed 3 months)

24/11/2008----Applied DCF in New Delhi Embassy----GOT APPROVED same DAY got Packet 3.5 by hand

03/12/2008----Wife went back to USA

17/12/2008----Submit all documents @ VFS jullundher Packet 3.5

28/01/2009----Got interview date Packet 4: Feb 6th

29/01/2009----Went for medical

02/02/2009----GOT medical Report!! (all Fine)

06/02/2009---- INTERVIEW!!!! RECIVED 221g REQUSTING TO SUBMIT MORE DOCUMENTS with PASSPORT

28/02/2009---- Submitted 221g Documents with passport

18/03/2009---- Got passport without visa stamped on it

19/03/2009---- Called DOS and they said embassy is asking for my daughter's Birth cetificate and Passport

01/04/2009---- 1 month of AP!! - NO NEWS--- from embassy---called DOS No news---_STILL WAITING FOR ANOTHER 221g FROM EMBASSY!!!!!!

STILL UNDER AP!!!!! very Frustated

07/04/2009---- Case tranfered to FPU(fraud prevention unit)

15/06/2009---- Embassy asked me to submit my passport-----confused??

22/06/2009---- Got Visa in Hand

10/07/2009---- POE Denver!

Timeline

hey

well to get a residency in india you have to stay in india for a period of 3 months. You have to work in india,,show them them work proof ,tax paying proof, or having any property in india etc....you can only apply DCF when your 3 month period is over.. To get residency in india USC has to saty in india for 3 months ..thats compulsory...you cant apply before 3 months...and you should have all the proof of residency in india...thats important too..

Thanks Ken86 for the reply.

But where does it say 3 months? The website does not. Do they have 3 months written on a noticeboard somewhere in the embassy or did someone tell you 3 months when you went to file?

hey

Thanks Ken86 for the reply.

But where does it say 3 months? The website does not. Do they have 3 months written on a noticeboard somewhere in the embassy or did someone tell you 3 months when you went to file?

http://newdelhi.usembassy.gov/uscisi130pet.html

Well iam going through DCF process from New delhi... I been to embassy several times and they said your spouse have to stay in india for 3 months... thats the evidence of residency... after 3 months we applied for DCF and iam just waiting for my interview to scheduled.

DCF is the fastest and easiest way to get immigrant status in USA... When you go to USCIS office in new delhi.. they will give you the form I-130 it has all the information about residency in india......check that form and 3 months is compulsory...

Check the link..

Edited by ken86

My Timeline

07/03/2008----Gone to India (family Issues) Coudnt go back to USA Visa got finished!!!

24/11/2008----Applied DCF in New Delhi Embassy----GOT APPROVED same DAY got Packet 3.5 by hand

06/02/2009---- INTERVIEW!!!! RECIVED 221g REQUSTING TO SUBMIT MORE DOCUMENTS with PASSPORT

19/03/2009---- Called DOS and they said embassy is asking for my daughter's Birth cetificate and Passport

01/04/2009---- 1 month of AP!! - NO NEWS--- from embassy---called DOS No news---_STILL WAITING FOR ANOTHER 221g FROM EMBASSY!!!!!!

My Timeline

Timeline

Thanks Ken86. I read both the forum DCF guide and your thread. The guide says 6 months though. It also says;

In addition, emergency cases, such as life and death of health and safety, and cases determined to be in the national interest can be processed without the residency requirement being met. Examples of family emergencies include minor children who would be unexpectedly left without a caretaker.

This would have applied to you and you could have applied without the residency requirement.

By the way, how much time does New Delhi take from DCF filing to visa stamping?

Thanks Ken86. I read both the forum DCF guide and your thread. The guide says 6 months though. It also says;

In addition, emergency cases, such as life and death of health and safety, and cases determined to be in the national interest can be processed without the residency requirement being met. Examples of family emergencies include minor children who would be unexpectedly left without a caretaker.

This would have applied to you and you could have applied without the residency requirement.

Well i told them about the emergency case in mine. but they said we have to complete the 3 month process and apply it...it says that is not for Indian embassy and consulates ...

well for most of the countries it is 6 months but for India its 3 months...

well from the day u file the petition(I-130) it takes around 2 months to get the visa stamped..

well as soon as u submit the packet 3.5 after filing petiton.the quicker the process will be ..

Please apply for police certificate now..coz in india it takes arnd 1-2 months to get it....

Do register your marriage in Indian court thats compulsory....that also takes arounbd 15-20 days...

for that your wife has to go to US embassy and get the NOC certificate for marriage...to apply in indian courts...

My Timeline

Timeline

Well i told them about the emergency case in mine. but they said we have to complete the 3 month process and apply it...it says that is not for Indian embassy and consulates ...

well from the day u file the petition(I-130) it takes around 2 months to get the visa stamped..

well as soon as u submit the packet 3.5 after filing petiton.the quicker the process will be ..

Please apply for police certificate now..coz in india it takes arnd 1-2 months to get it....

Do register your marriage in Indian court thats compulsory....that also takes arounbd 15-20 days...

for that your wife has to go to US embassy and get the NOC certificate for marriage...to apply in indian courts...

Thanks Ken86 for all the helpful information.

Actually, I am not yet married, not even engaged. My GF is in california. I have a visitor visa and I am planning to marry her in US.

But I am still weighing whether to adjust status in US or return with her and go for DCF.

Obviously, adjusting status will take about 3 months longer( 8 months adjusting status vs 3 +2 months DCF) but the plusses are , she won't have to move to India and I won't have to get police certificates.

*Any suggestions?

*Does US embassy also require a long term Indian work visa along with 3 m residency to file DCF? Or can you file on an Indian visit visa?

Thanks

Edited by kumar26

Actually, I am not yet married, not even engaged. My GF is in california. I have a visitor visa and I am planning to marry her in US.

But I am still weighing whether to adjust status in US or return with her and go for DCF.

Obviously, adjusting status will take about 3 months longer( 8 months adjusting status vs 3 +2 months DCF) but the plusses are , she won't have to move to India and I won't have to get police certificates.

*Any suggestions?

*Does US embassy also require a long term Indian work visa along with 3 m residency to file DCF? Or can you file on an Indian visit visa?

Thanks

well DCF is the safest and easiest way...if you apply ur status in states is kinda expensive and long.. around an year...DCF is just takes just maximum 5 months to get GC.....

Yes for DCF u should have long term valid indian visa..u cannot apply from visitor visa....

But in my case it was kinda different....my wife was on short term indian visitor visa(6 months)...but they allow us to file DCF because we were married in USA....

My Timeline

Timeline

*Any suggestions?

Thanks

well DCF is the safest and easiest way...if you apply ur status in states is kinda expensive and long.. around an year...DCF is just takes just maximum 5 months to get GC.....

Yes for DCF u should have long term valid indian visa..u cannot apply from visitor visa....

But in my case it was kinda different....my wife was on short term indian visitor visa(6 months)...but they allow us to file DCF because we were married in USA....

Did they ask you about your wife's visa? Can I safely do that too? Get married in US and bring my wife on a short term visa and file DCF?

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Ken,

I was also looking for DCF information. Regarding registering marriage in India, is it fine if it is done via "Registrar of Marriages (as done for indian cititzens)" or is it mandatory to register it in Indian courts. If so what is the procedure to get NOC from US embassy. How much time did they take for it.

Could you please let me know?

Thanks...

It sounds like you are currently in India. If so, you are not able to legally adjust status after entering the US on your visitor's visa - that is visa fraud. Adjustment of status on a visitor's visa is only allowed when there was no intention to immigrate upon arrival.

Your choices are between marrying her in the US and then leaving and waiting in India while your wife is in CA and go through the normal CR1 visa process (ie, file the I-130 at the CA USCIS office and go through NVC). Or to marry in the US and bring your wife back to India with you on a resident visa, file the I-130 petition in India after 90 days, and then get the CR1 visa.

Even with the three month waiting period in India before filing, DCF is still a much faster, easier process. And your soon-to-be wife could leave India after filing the I-130 petition. Well, you would also have the option of having her file the 129f and getting a fiance visa, but since you already have a visitor's visa, I recommend going for either of the two routes I mentioned to get a CR1 visa.

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I'd be careful with just using a visitor's visa to gain entry into the US, marrying, and staying to adjust status. You could be setting yourself up for a huge issue. You may well be showing intent to marry using a visa not intended for that purpose. On some of the other threads here you can read about people's take on this and some arguments that may show times when using the visitor's visa is perfectly legal. But, to "premeditate" (for lack of a better word) that you'll just use the visitor visa to marry with the intent on that trip to stay is visa fraud.

On the other hand, if you marry in the US, leave, and file for whichever marriage based visa you choose - that's fine. I know the wait is hard but the penalities will be stiff if you're caught.

If I misconstrued what you meant, I apologize in advance...and if I were in the same position with my fiance having a visitor's visa I can't tell you how tempted I would be at this point to just do that - but in the end I wouldn't want to jeopardize throwing a gigantic wrench in the process.

Since there is a chance [and it's growing stronger every day] that we may try a DCF next, can you confirm that you have to switch off of the tourist visa in India to file DCF? I guess I'm just trying to confirm a timeline - let's say I go to India; in my case we fall under the special marriage act so there's a 30 day wait to marry. I'd need to change visas to an X visa at that point at the FRRO? My residency clock to meet the 6 month minimum would start from the change over to an X visa or from the marriage date?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

can i apply in new delhi for i-130 and cr-1 if i'm on tourist visa to india? i have lived here for one month and a half now. my tourist visa lasts for ten years. is this sufficient or do i have to be working here to apply for direct consular filing?

interview date- 11/06/2009

visa approved! 11/17/2009.. pheww!!

received passport-11/20/2009

entered in US- 12/14/2009

POE- New york

welcome received- 02/01/2010

green card received- 02/08/2010

removal of condition-12/15/2011

ROC package sent to CSC- 09/21/2011

http://craftychefcooking.blogspot.com/

Timeline

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I think I will marry in US and bring her to Delhi to file I-130.

MILO75

New Delhi requires at least 90 days and not 6 months. They do not specify this on their website but that is what posters having gone thru Delhi have posted. They will look at the entry stamp on your passport and count 90 days.

I'd be careful with just using a visitor's visa to gain entry into the US, marrying, and staying to adjust status. You could be setting yourself up for a huge issue. You may well be showing intent to marry using a visa not intended for that purpose. On some of the other threads here you can read about people's take on this and some arguments that may show times when using the visitor's visa is perfectly legal. But, to "premeditate" (for lack of a better word) that you'll just use the visitor visa to marry with the intent on that trip to stay is visa fraud.

On the other hand, if you marry in the US, leave, and file for whichever marriage based visa you choose - that's fine. I know the wait is hard but the penalities will be stiff if you're caught.

If I misconstrued what you meant, I apologize in advance...and if I were in the same position with my fiance having a visitor's visa I can't tell you how tempted I would be at this point to just do that - but in the end I wouldn't want to jeopardize throwing a gigantic wrench in the process.

Since there is a chance [and it's growing stronger every day] that we may try a DCF next, can you confirm that you have to switch off of the tourist visa in India to file DCF? I guess I'm just trying to confirm a timeline - let's say I go to India; in my case we fall under the special marriage act so there's a 30 day wait to marry. I'd need to change visas to an X visa at that point at the FRRO? My residency clock to meet the 6 month minimum would start from the change over to an X visa or from the marriage date?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.