janeaus

NVC rejected certified copies of 2 civil documents. What am I to do?

21 posts in this topic

On the bright side, I now know that NVC accepts notarized/apostilled copies from Ukraine. Please see this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579901 for details. I'll be happy to repost it as a new thread here if this is allowed.

Finally, a question: How can I contact the moderator of this forum on VJ?

In general, they should return all original documents at the interview - except for police certificates.

A list of VJ moderators can be found here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;CODE=leaders

It's not surprising that this is a common mistake, RFE documents from NVC, in general, are not incredibly clear (ie they contain a lot of 'not needed' info and therefore some real information can get lost).

Glad you got this cleared up.

Trailmix,

You are all wet.

You went off on the same wild goose chase that my friend Janeaus did.

I see you are a newbie, having joined up in March 2007.

Now, so far, VJ posters have good heartedly but erroneously suggested:

1. Resubmitting the documents back to NVC. This would never work because the documents never should have been sent to NVC in the first place.

2. Talk to a supervisor. This is normally an exercise in futility - takes a lot of time - and you are 50/50 getting someone who knows what they are doing.

3. Your suggestions again indicate you did not grasp the root cause of the op's problem-and that was the op made a mistake in reading the instructions from NVC concerning the DS-230 requirements that the mother of the OP, not the OP, was responsible for submitting documents, not to NVC, but to the consular official at the U. S. Embassy at time of visa interview in Kiev.

In reading the most recent thing Janeaus has posted, I still think he is misconstruing the role of NVC in this process with that of the U. S. embassy regarding the examination of certain documents which pertain to his mother.

FYI, British Expats has been in business a whole lot longer than VJ. Have you never been there?

Finally, you infer that I didn't want to help OP. Actually, last night, when I pieced everything together, I privately messaged OP and told him where he was going wrong, and Janeaus reported that today.

Best wishes,

SG - Archie Wilson

--------------------------------------------

Let's hang Archie Wilson.

Shoot him on sight.

I was drunk when I typed what I typed.

Part of what Archie said is erroneous.

NVC is a collection point for documents pertaining to DS-230.

Apologies to Trailmix.

Archie Wilson

p.s.

Soberly, I don't think it is a good idea to send originals of anything to NVC.

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

SG,

I did misunderstand what NVC wanted from me and reported that on this thread (see the title in bold above.) However, I must take issue with the following:

> I still think he is misconstruing the role of NVC in this process with that of the U. S. embassy regarding the examination of certain documents which pertain to his mother.

1) Being a US citizen residing in the US and

2) Following the I-130 process of petitioning for my mother to immigrate from Ukraine, and

3) Being the petitioner AND the agent for my mother,

4) I must communicate with the NVC and NOT the US embassy in Kiev on all DS-230 and AOS matters

5) UNTIL the NVC examines my AOS and DS-230 packages, finds them complete, and forwards them to the US embassy in Kiev in preparation for my mother's interview.

Best Regards,

janeaus

Trailmix,

You are all wet.

You went off on the same wild goose chase that my friend Janeaus did.

I see you are a newbie, having joined up in March 2007.

Now, so far, VJ posters have good heartedly but erroneously suggested:

1. Resubmitting the documents back to NVC. This would never work because the documents never should have been sent to NVC in the first place.

2. Talk to a supervisor. This is normally an exercise in futility - takes a lot of time - and you are 50/50 getting someone who knows what they are doing.

3. Your suggestions again indicate you did not grasp the root cause of the op's problem-and that was the op made a mistake in reading the instructions from NVC concerning the DS-230 requirements that the mother of the OP, not the OP, was responsible for submitting documents, not to NVC, but to the consular official at the U. S. Embassy at time of visa interview in Kiev.

In reading the most recent thing Janeaus has posted, I still think he is misconstruing the role of NVC in this process with that of the U. S. embassy regarding the examination of certain documents which pertain to his mother.

FYI, British Expats has been in business a whole lot longer than VJ. Have you never been there?

Finally, you infer that I didn't want to help OP. Actually, last night, when I pieced everything together, I privately messaged OP and told him where he was going wrong, and Janeaus reported that today.

Best wishes,

SG - Archie Wilson

Timeline (to be expanded):

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-16

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-27

I-130 Approved : 2008-06-10

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Sorry, I read this after posting a response! :)

I would much rather not submit originals to NVC, but this is the quickest way. I am fortunate to have a duplicate of my hard-to-obtain birth certificate, and a certified copy of my Bulgarian marriage certificate can be obtained from the issung authority if push comes to shove (hopefully not!)

On the bright side, this will be a good test of NVC's guarantee of returning originals at the interview. I'll report the result.

Merry Christmas! :star:

Timeline (to be expanded):

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-16

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-27

I-130 Approved : 2008-06-10

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Sorry, I read this after posting a response! :)

I would much rather not submit originals to NVC, but this is the quickest way. I am fortunate to have a duplicate of my hard-to-obtain birth certificate, and a certified copy of my Bulgarian marriage certificate can be obtained from the issung authority if push comes to shove (hopefully not!)

On the bright side, this will be a good test of NVC's guarantee of returning originals at the interview. I'll report the result.

Merry Christmas! :star:

Good luck on getting your RFE cleared up quickly and a speedy interview for your Mother.

Edited by trailmix

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Gleb,

We have not gotten to this step yet, but we did need to get the same documents for my case when I came as a refugee many years ago, and had to get the same docs for my husband when he came on a fiancee visa.

What we did when I came was: have a copy (not a photocopy, but a typed-out copy of the birth certificate ) notarized by a respectful agency, + have a translation in the same format also notarized by the respectful agency.

The same went for my parents' marriage certificate. We did not have any issues along the way. I know that this information is "dated", but hope this helps..

My husband went to ZAGS and got a duplicate ("POVTORNE") birth certificate on the Ukrainian stationary (thus he now had one on a USSR stationary and one on Ukraininan). Then, he notarized a photocopy of the Ukrainian one and had it TRANSLATED into Enlish and notarized.

If you have any other questions re: format, PM me.

Please, keep updating the thread. We are very interested and will need this info soon

Shortened timeline:
Oct 18, 2003 - 129F Package sent to VSC
Feb 18, 2004, 4PM Eastern Europian time - VISA IN HAND smile.png))
-------------------------------
JUNE 25, 2004 - We are MARRIED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------
01/19/05 - I-485 approved. CPR status granted!!!!!!!!!!
----------------------------------
Jan 2007 - AOS - Permanent GC Holder
----------------------------------
March 24, 08 - NOA for naturalization
April 08, 08 - Biometrics
November 18, 2008 - Interview Notice for December 17, 08
December 17, 08 - Interview passed
January 14, 2009 - Oath

-------------------------

Jan 29, 2014 - NSC - NOA-1 - I-130 for husband's mom

Filed: Timeline
Please read the below as it contains an important amendment!

As embarrassing as it is, I must post this, with apologies to NVC, to remain a good forum citizen. Yesterday I called the NVC and they were surprised that I brought up my mother's birth and marriage certificates. Turned out, this is not at all what they'd requested. They had requested MY birth and marriage certificates! The mistake was totally mine.

What happened was that I saw:

MISSING DOCUMENT LIST FOR: <My mother's name>

1) PETITIONER'S BIRTH CERTIFICATE

I saw, but not register the word "Petitioner's", reading "Beneficiary's" instead. The rep said that this actually happens quite often. There's some consolation in numbers... not much though.

Anyway, NVC processed everything correctly and now I am submitting the missing documents, my own birth and marriage certificates. Previously I had submitted their protocopies to the CIS along with the I-130, but that was not sufficient for NVC. After all, they require originals or certified copies. Since the originals are with me in the US, I'll submit them. I'll report later on whether the NVC make good on their promise of returning them to my mother through the officer at the interview.

i'm in the process of submiting ds-230 for my mother, but where does it say the PETITIONER'S birth certificate and marriage certificate to submit?

anybody please?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.