Flames9_RN

Renewing Cdn passport WHILE residing in the USA

60 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Once a Canadian, always a Canadian. And even if you get US citizenship thru naturalization, you should always still keep your Canadian passport current for when you travel home to Canada. And for international travel, a Canadian passport is still looked upon more favourably than an American one.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I always find it odd how relatively simple it is for US citizens to get passports .. they just fill out a form, go to the post office get their picture taken and voila, a few weeks later they have their passport which is good for 10 years :blink:

I've thought about that a lot.

Not only is the process easier to get a U.S. passport, but they last longer. I got mine in 2005 and it's good until 2015. As far I know, Canadian passports are only good for five years (which seems like a rip-off to me).

I think, however, the reason the Canadian passport process is more difficult is due to the relative ease in which someone can immigrate to Canada. In contrast, immigrating to the United States is far more difficult, but getting a passport is simple. Maybe it's also because there are so many more people in the U.S. than in Canada, the government had to streamline the process.

Once a Canadian, always a Canadian. And even if you get US citizenship thru naturalization, you should always still keep your Canadian passport current for when you travel home to Canada. And for international travel, a Canadian passport is still looked upon more favourably than an American one.

Well... that's opinion. You're entitled to it, of course. But I hardly think having a Canadian passport grants the owner any special privileges over an American one (unless you're planning on visiting Cuba or perhaps Iraq).

Edited by DeadPoolX

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

An alternative to the guarantor is the "Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor". I used this form cause I did not know anyone that met the requirements of the guarantor. With this form you are able to have the documents notarized by a notary public. I had no issues with renewing my passport using this form. I had my new passport within 10 days. I was amazed at how quickly the process was done.

Also, Passport Canada contacted both of my references who were both people in Canada who have known me since I was a kid. My one reference almost thought it was a joke or some kind of scam and was ready to hang up the phone but then remembered me asking about using them for a reference for my passport renewal and fortunately didn't hang up the phone. :) They called really early in the morning.

Filed: Timeline

Well... that's opinion. You're entitled to it, of course. But I hardly think having a Canadian passport grants the owner any special privileges over an American one (unless you're planning on visiting Cuba or perhaps Iraq).

She's probably referring to the number of times we hear about terrorists kidnapping Americans (or worse) based solely on the fact that they're holding American passports. :(

Also, Passport Canada contacted both of my references who were both people in Canada who have known me since I was a kid. My one reference almost thought it was a joke or some kind of scam and was ready to hang up the phone but then remembered me asking about using them for a reference for my passport renewal and fortunately didn't hang up the phone. :) They called really early in the morning.

Phew. That was close. lol. One of my guarantors was contacted in the early morning also.

iagree.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Who knows, probably depends where u go in the world. I have traveled a lot with the Cdn Armed Forces and always received very well. A few times they thought I was American, but once I informed them I was a Canuck, the service was better. I recall 1 time port visit in Indonesia, lot of American sailors wanted Cdn flag pins, so they would get better deals,lol.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
She's probably referring to the number of times we hear about terrorists kidnapping Americans (or worse) based solely on the fact that they're holding American passports. :(

Good point. I suppose the incidence of that depends where you go. Some countries are more hostile to Americans than others. Of course, many people from other nations -- especially non-western ones -- can't tell an American from a Canadian.

Who knows, probably depends where u go in the world. I have traveled a lot with the Cdn Armed Forces and always received very well. A few times they thought I was American, but once I informed them I was a Canuck, the service was better. I recall 1 time port visit in Indonesia, lot of American sailors wanted Cdn flag pins, so they would get better deals,lol.

That's interesting. I know that (traditionally speaking) Americans have been preferred customers in restaurants when traveling abroad. It's not because Americans are necessarily any nicer or meaner than others, but due to Americans normally handing out higher tips. I wonder how true that is today, with the economy having problems.

Tais tois, you American you. :lol:

iagree.gif

I stand by what I posted, its not only opinion, but fact. There are countries in this world who view Canadian passports looked upon more favourably than American passports. I believe there are even countries where Americans are required to get a tourist visa before entering, but Canadians are not.

Peter Jennings was an international reporter for how many years for a US network? He NEVER travelled on his US passport. He always used his Canadian passport when out on assignment, and for personal travel.

I have friends who are Canadian of Irish descent. On a trip to Ireland they were stopped on the street at gun point and asked their nationality, they immediately said "Canadian" the soldier said "sorry, we thought you were American, off you go".

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

Of course one could be held up at gun point and asked what nationality you are, and u state Canadian, and then BANG BANG, for bringing Celine Dion into this world,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Of course they change it now LOLOL

I just got my passport 3 months ago while having been in the USA for 1.5 years. It was insaneeeeeeeeeeeee trying to get a guarantor!!!!

Now that I am adjusting should I get a USA passport AND always keep renewing my Canadian one for 2 passports? Or should I just get one or the other?

**EDIT** Didnt realize this thread had more pages, my question was answered lol. I guess I will keep a passport for both countries!

Edited by Brian and Jenn

9137.gif

AOS Timeline

11/18/08 - I-130 Package sent

11/20/08 - Delivered to Chicago Lockbox

12/01/08 - Money Order Cashed

12/05/08 - Received all 3 NOA's dated November 28th

12/10/08 - Touched

12/11/08 - Received Biometrics appointment dated 12/05/08

12/19/08 - Biometrics Appointment (Completed!)

12/19/08 - Touched

12/22/08 - Touched

01/22/09 - EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/09 - 2nd Email for EAD Card prodcution

02/02/09 - EAD Arrives in the mail (Yay!)

Timeline
I always find it odd how relatively simple it is for US citizens to get passports .. they just fill out a form, go to the post office get their picture taken and voila, a few weeks later they have their passport which is good for 10 years :blink:

I've thought about that a lot.

Not only is the process easier to get a U.S. passport, but they last longer. I got mine in 2005 and it's good until 2015. As far I know, Canadian passports are only good for five years (which seems like a rip-off to me).

I think, however, the reason the Canadian passport process is more difficult is due to the relative ease in which someone can immigrate to Canada. In contrast, immigrating to the United States is far more difficult, but getting a passport is simple. Maybe it's also because there are so many more people in the U.S. than in Canada, the government had to streamline the process.

Deadpool, I think you are off the mark on this one. I sincerely doubt that the passport application process in Canada has any basis in the immigration process - I am unsure how you can even make that connection?

While I am in agreement with the gist of what Reba has said and can honestly say that, in my travels, I have experienced similar incidents, I really do want to give my thoughts on this. We have all married Americans so we're in agreement that they're not all bad. ;) The thing which bothers me about generalizations is that some groups and countries and/or their peoples will interact, or hear about an interaction, with a less-than-appealing type of individual who happened to be from the US, and conclude that all Americans are such-and-such. In addition, the US plays a dominant role on the world stage and, as such, is involved in a lot of armed conflict. (As unpopular as war is, you can guarantee that it has been discussed with the other members of the United Nations prior to, and during, the invasion or peace-keeping of any country.) As a result, Americans are not looked upon too kindly and are treated as such. I say this to say that the American people are not only a victim of generalizations, but they are also a victim of their own governmental policies. Stories like Reba's tend to get relayed again and again. But stories of generous and helpful and really really nice Americans aren't heard. It just won't make the "news". And "news" is what sells.

iagree.gif

I hadn't intended to say anything negative at all about Americans. And I don't believe I did. I was just stating that Canadian passports are looked upon more favourably than American ones in some countries. Even my American husband has said so. And my Aunt, who has 3 citizenships, UK, Canada and US, will only travel using her Canadian passport.

I think it has a lot to do with how America (the government, not Americans the people) handles foreign affairs. Which is not always very well unfortunately. Perhaps that will change some day.

I hadn't intended to say anything negative at all about Americans. And I don't believe I did. I was just stating that Canadian passports are looked upon more favourably than American ones in some countries. Even my American husband has said so. And my Aunt, who has 3 citizenships, UK, Canada and US, will only travel using her Canadian passport.

I think it has a lot to do with how America (the government, not Americans the people) handles foreign affairs. Which is not always very well unfortunately. Perhaps that will change some day.

No, you didn't say anything negative, Reba. You just stated some facts. Sorry if I made it seem like I was saying otherwise.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
As a result, Americans are not looked upon too kindly and are treated as such. I say this to say that the American people are not only a victim of generalizations, but they are also a victim of their own governmental policies. Stories like Reba's tend to get relayed again and again. But stories of generous and helpful and really really nice Americans aren't heard. It just won't make the "news". And "news" is what sells.

Agreed.

I think it is an unfortunate truth about how many countries in the world work. If I ever got a US passport, I would never use it to get into another country for my own safety and general travel experience. I've traveled in Europe a bit and there is such hostility towards Americans. I have been asked a number of times if I'm American to which I shake my head no, I'm Canadian, and all of a sudden people are not so suspicious towards me any more. In fact, people are almost overly kind.

So much of it is the people of our world who do not agree with American foreign policies and then attribute it to the American people. But part of it, and I must say this, is how I have seen American tourists act when overseas. I remember going to see the Tower of London with a friend many years ago. And there were these Southerners, with massive cameras around their necks and fanny packs around their wastes talking to each other like they wanted the whole world to hear them. Every one was starring at them but yet they didn't quiet down or were not embarrassed. I guess in Europe there is a refinement that doesn't hit all places in the United States (or Canada for that matter...)

We all have a different view to Americans because we live here and we married one. We know that many Americans are intelligent and mannerly people. It's unfortunate that the government has really spoiled their image.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.