Flames9_RN

Renewing Cdn passport WHILE residing in the USA

60 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

"Must have been issued within the last six years (or after August 1, 2003 if the passport was applied for by mail from the United States);"

Ok- just to confirm- I should be ok to do the simple process, mine expires August 2009 and it was applied for and received in Canada.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
"Must have been issued within the last six years (or after August 1, 2003 if the passport was applied for by mail from the United States);"

Ok- just to confirm- I should be ok to do the simple process, mine expires August 2009 and it was applied for and received in Canada.

dang I just missed the 6 year cut-off :angry:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That sucks. :(

Not a huge difference aside from the fact you need a Guarantor. They can even be relatives now- and it doesn't have to be from the list of professions like it used to be, just someone who has known you for 2 years.

Timeline

That sucks. :(

Not a huge difference aside from the fact you need a Guarantor. They can even be relatives now- and it doesn't have to be from the list of professions like it used to be, just someone who has known you for 2 years.

and I think it has to be someone who has a Canadian passport....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This is from Passport Canada:

Simplified Passport Renewal Process

The Simplified Passport Renewal Process allows Canadians to renew their passports without resubmitting proof of Canadian citizenship or supplementary identification and guarantor information. Some conditions apply.

Canadians who meet the following eligibility criteria are now able to benefit from this process:

At the time they applied for their previous passport, they must have been at least 16 years of age.

Their most recent passport:

Must have been valid for five years;

Must have been issued in Canada (as indicated under "Issuing Authority" on page 2 of the submitted passport);

Must have been issued within the last six years (or after August 1, 2003 if the passport was applied for by mail from the United States);

Must not be damaged and must never have been reported as lost or stolen; and

Must have been issued under their current name.

Eligible guarantors

Your guarantor must:

Hold a five-year Canadian passport that is valid* or has been expired for no more than one year, on the day you submit your application;

Have known you personally for at least two (2) years.

In the case of a child, have known you (parent or legal guardian) personally for at least two (2) years and have knowledge of the child;

Be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older;

Have been 16 years of age or older when he or she applied for his or her own passport;

Provide the requested information contained in his or her passport;

Be accessible to Passport Canada for verification;

Reside in Canada, in the United States or in any of the areas where submission of the "in Canada and in the USA" application form is authorized, e.g.: Bermuda. It is not necessary that the guarantor reside in the same country as the applicant.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/ren.aspx?lang=eng&region=USA

Despite the restrictions it does make things easier for most.

Edited by OBX

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi MissStacey and Everyone,

Yes, it's good that the "1 Guarrantor" (if one is needed for the general application process) can be relatives that you've known for more than 2 years (as long as they fit the "professional" category, if this rule still applies). So if you have a relative who can be a "guarrantor", you may be in luck there...

However, "2 References" (whcih are different from Guarrantors), as stated on both the general application form and the simplified application form, "cannot be relatives". In other words, you have find two other non-relative individuals to use as "references", which if you know a lot of non-relative individuals, you may be in luck there too...

Lol..gee brings us to a total of "3 other individuals" that you have to search, hunt down, look for, ask, beg, plead, bargain with, etc. for their name, personal information, contact information, and signature...just to renew/re-apply for a Canadian passport! You would think that this seems like a "job application process" rather than just a "passport application process". Lol...if it takes this many individuals to apply for a Canadian passport, how many individuals does it take for one to apply for a job at Passport Canada (just kidding there).

Lol...I can just see it now at one's next social gathering: "Happy Holidays! Oh by the way, instead of giving me a holiday gift this year, can you sign my passport application form, so that I can travel to see you?" (pathetic...and I hope none of you have to come to this desperate point...)

Seriously though, they should just get rid of this Guarrantor and Reference thing....Frankly, the Canadian government (or any other government) has enough information on an individual (through SSNs, SINs, DMV records, MTO records, tax records, health records, passport records, immigration records, etc.) on their "government databases", they why not use that information instead to prove one's "identity" and to use as "references"? It's their job to "prove" who we say we are, not ours, especially more so that we are paying them (sometimes outrageous prices) to do the job!

Anyways, good luck to Everyone, renewing their Canadian passport (you'll definitely need the luck there), and good luck to Everyone on the rest of your immigration journey too.

Happy Holidays, Everyone!

Ant (Looking for Santa Claus, instead of Guarrantors and References...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

The professional categories guarantor rules no longer apply Ant, a guarantor can be any passport holding Canadian citizen.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Hi Reba and Everyone,

Oh ok, good to know that they got rid of the "professional guarrantor" rules (I wasn't sure if this rule still applied, hence I typed "if this rule still applies"), which is one small step in the right direction.

However, they still haven't gotten rid of the fact that one still needs to have an extra "guarrantor" (that one has to be "friends" with for 2 years of more and has to be a Canadian citizen) for a passport application, so definitely changes still need to be made there...

Ant

The professional categories guarantor rules no longer apply Ant, a guarantor can be any passport holding Canadian citizen.
Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Reba and Everyone,

Oh ok, good to know that they got rid of the "professional guarrantor" rules (I wasn't sure if this rule still applied, hence I typed "if this rule still applies"), which is one small step in the right direction.

However, they still haven't gotten rid of the fact that one still needs to have an extra "guarrantor" (that one has to be "friends" with for 2 years of more and has to be a Canadian citizen) for a passport application, so definitely changes still need to be made there...

Ant

With regard to the references - the last 2 times I renewed my passport I simply used friends / neighbours. I don't think you really need to worry about that portion. All that is required is their contact information and how long they have known you. In fact when I renewed my passport this fall to reflect my married name I used my son's girlfriend and a neighbour. No one was ever contacted to verify my info. These references do not have to supply their passport info just the one guarantor does.

USCIS

NOA1 08/19/08

NOA2 01/20/09

NVC

Received 01/26/09

Completed 02/13/09 (19 Days)

Interview Assigned 03/27/09 (6 weeks after NVC completion)

Medical

04/14/09 (Toronto)

Interview

Montreal 05/12/09 (88 days after NVC completion) **APPROVED**

POE

06/16/09 Buffalo

07/02/09 Welcome Letter Received

07/07/09 Applied for SSN

07/10/09 "Card production ordered" email received

07/13/09 SSN received

07/14/09 "Approval notice sent" email received

07/17/09 GREEN CARD received

Removal of Conditions

03/21/11 I-751 mailed to VSC

03/23/11 I-751 received at VSC

03/29/11 Cheque Cashed

03/30/11 NOA1 received (3/24/11)

04/11/11 Biometrics appointment notice received

05/05/11 Biometric appointment

12/13/11 **Approval date** (5 days short of 9 months!)

12/19/11 Approval letter and green card received

Naturalization

05/16/2019 Filed online (estimated completion February 2020)

05/18/2019 Biometrics scheduled

05/21/2019 Receipt notice and biometrics notices posted to online account.05/23/2019 Hard copy of NOA1 received

05/24/2019 Hard copy of biometrics appointment received

06/07/2019 Biometrics appointment (estimated completion January 2020)

12/31/2019 Email received "Interview scheduled"

01/01/2020 Interview date notice posted to online account (02/19/2020)

01/05/2019 Hard copy of interview appointment received

02/19/2020 Interview (**Approved**) and same day Oath Ceremony. 

Timeline

I always find it odd how relatively simple it is for US citizens to get passports .. they just fill out a form, go to the post office get their picture taken and voila, a few weeks later they have their passport which is good for 10 years :blink:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Hi Marilyn and Everyone,

I agree with your there, as to how much easier the US passport application process is, in comparison to the Canadian passport application process. You would think that two countries that are so close together and have a lot in common with each other, would have the same methods when it comes to this issue. I guess not then....

Yes, Passport Canada can learn a thing or two from the Americans here (and from other countries who have similar methods) when it comes to passport applications! Why can't Canadians just pay the money, and get a passport good for 10 years, without worrying about guarrantors, references, names, and all this other "simple" conditional application ####### they throw at its applicants...

Lol....Imagine if we all went to the DMV, SSA, or any other government agency, and they had the same restrictions as Passport Canada has in order to renew your identification documents. Boy, there would sure be backlog, a lot of complaints, and nothing would ever get accomplished on time!

On that note, thanks for the extra motivation and extra reminder, as to how much easier it is to get an American passport. I'll definitely be getting one of those, as soon as I'm eligible to get such next year or the year after. Oh how good it will be to not have to worry about passports for the next 10 years afterwards, when I get that done! That's deifinitely one of the advantages of being an American Citizen: Applying for and getting an American passport (the quick, simple, and cost-effective way)!

By the way, in order to get an American passport, one must send in their original (no photocopies) Certificate of Naturalization. So make sure you make extra copies of that before you send it in (and hopefully they send the original back to you too). Oh and no worries about guarrantors either, as they don't do that here. And as for references, only one is needed, and yes, family members can be references too. Lol..two less people I have to bother...I think others would be happy too...

Ant (Waiting to for an American Passport...)

I always find it odd how relatively simple it is for US citizens to get passports .. they just fill out a form, go to the post office get their picture taken and voila, a few weeks later they have their passport which is good for 10 years :blink:
Edited by AntandD

Wow, it took us two trips and about 7 hours to get Claudeth's Filipino passport renewed. :blink:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

One of the stipulations for completing the passport application (simplified or otherwise) is that you be a Canadian citizen. Okay, if you go through naturalization I understand that you must renounce your Canadian citizenship (altough Canada doesn't recognize it). So let's say you do that and get your American passport, does this mean you're lying to the US government by saying 'yes, I am a Canadian citizen' to that question and could it conceivably pose any problems?

Am I sweating the small stuff here?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Jo-Anne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oops, I just found this statement on a immigration lawyer's website. I guess I've answered my own question but feel free to weigh in......

"....taking the U.S. oath of allegiance will not result in a loss of Canadian citizenship. A formal application must be filed and approved before renunciation will be effective. If no formal application is made, a Canadian citizen who subsequently naturalizes in the United States will continue to be a citizen of Canada."

Jo-Anne

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sweating the small stuff,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.