muchosuerte

Can she visit her family without a hitch?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

I think I might not be confused anymore.

We are filing the I-485 now (December), for my wife who is here on a K-1.

From what I understand, we may have her Green Card in two to three months. If we wanted to leave the country in lets say May, for two weeks - all she needs to get back into the US is her Green Card - No other documents, right? I can throw this I-131 ####### in the garbage (and it is grabage collection day today!)?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

2 to 3 months?? It usually takes more than that. She will recieve her Advance parol document in2 to 3 months... the green card will probably take longer. Did you fill out the Advance Parol and the Emplyment Austorization Document?? (I-765 and I-131??)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I would file the I-131 anyway to get AP, there is NO fee for AP based on a pending I-485.

I have seen AOS take anywhere from 4 months to YEARS to process.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
2 to 3 months?? It usually takes more than that. She will recieve her Advance parol document in2 to 3 months... the green card will probably take longer. Did you fill out the Advance Parol and the Emplyment Austorization Document?? (I-765 and I-131??)

Great, you put me back in the confused lane!

Why do I need Advance Parole? Thats what I was ripping my hair out about. What is re-entry, what is advance parole? I just spoke with the service center and she said that my wife can come and go once she has her green card without any other documents. The advance parole instructionsd says its and "extreme measure" for a "compelling emergency". This all makes me want to run into the arms of a lawyer. Must resist.....must resist.....

Why do I need Advance Parole? Thats what I was ripping my hair out about. What is re-entry, what is advance parole? I just spoke with the service center and she said that my wife can come and go once she has her green card without any other documents. The advance parole instructionsd says its and "extreme measure" for a "compelling emergency". This all makes me want to run into the arms of a lawyer. Must resist.....must resist.....

The Advance Parole will allow her to tavel out of the country before she has received her Green Card, it's not just for emergency purpose. I just came back from Germany, using the Advance Parole for re-entry....without any problems

07-25-07 petition sent

08-07-07 NOA1

01-23-08 NOA2, 182 days after filing

02-11-08 medical

03-04-08 interview in Frankfurt---approved!

03-11-8 Visa in hand --- what a heck of a procedure for this little sticker ;-)

06-16-08 flight to IAD

07-11-08 Wedding in Santa Barbara, CA

08-07-8 AOS package sent

08-10-08 AOS package delivered to Chicago lockbox

08-14-08 check cashed

08-13-08 NOA1 for EAD,AP,AOS

09-03-08 Biometrics appointment

10-02-08 Case transferred to CSC

10-16-08 EAD and AP approved

01-26-09 AOS approved w/o interview

01-31-09 PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD RECEIVED

02-11-11 Biometric Appointment for Removing of Conditions

Our Wedding Pics:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rahela07/OurWedding07112008

Timeline

A K-1 is a SINGLE entry visa, IF they leave the USA while adjustment of status is pending and the do so WITHOUT (AP Advance Parole) they will forfit the Adjustment of status, and you will be starting all over again this time filing an I-130 for a spousal visa for her to return to the USA.

AP is filing form I-131, and using the resulting AP document to return to the USA while green-card (Adjustment of status) is pending.

You do not need to justify your reasons for the AP document, it is an interim benefit for persons who are adjusting status.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Filed: Timeline

If your wife needed to leave the USA before she has her greencard then she will need to advanced parole to be able to return, it is a normal form for people to complete along with their AOS and it is included in the cost of AOS, I agree that the wording on the form is very off putting but it can be used for any reason that you have to leave the USA, most people use it for a vaccation or just to have incase there is an emergancy back home.

Advanced Parole, is for people still waiting for their AOS to be approved.

Re-Entry Permit is for Greencard holders who will be outside the USA from more than 12 month and wish to protect their LPR status.

Once your wife has her greencard she will only need a valid Passport and the Greencard to be able to return to the USA.

Jon

Timeline

A K-1 is a SINGLE entry visa, IF they leave the USA while adjustment of status is pending and the do so WITHOUT (AP Advance Parole) they will forfit the Adjustment of status, and you will be starting all over again this time filing an I-130 for a spousal visa for her to return to the USA.

AP is filing form I-131, and using the resulting AP document to return to the USA while green-card (Adjustment of status) is pending.

You do not need to justify your reasons for the AP document, it is an interim benefit for persons who are adjusting status.

It seems you do need to justify it. It wants you to have "an explaination or other evidence showing the circumstances that warrant issuance" or a USCIS receit for AOS, which I don't have as I'm turning them in together. Man this is some crazy paperwork.

Timeline
It seems you do need to justify it. It wants you to have "an explaination or other evidence showing the circumstances that warrant issuance" or a USCIS receit for AOS, which I don't have as I'm turning them in together. Man this is some crazy paperwork.
Simply saying "To be able to return home to visit family" is all the justification needed.

Timeline
Simply saying "To be able to return home to visit family" is all the justification needed.

Thanks again Dan!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think the explanation section is there mostly because the form is used for different purposes (travel document, reentry permit, refugee travel document or advance parole), and for some of those an actual specific need to leave is required.

I know it confused me too but I just wrote as Dan said and have my documents in hand.

K-1 Application

================

2nd October 2007 - I-129F sent to CSC

10th October 2007 - NOA1 issued

31st January 2008 - NOA2 issued

22nd May 2008 - Interview date

18th July 2008 - US here I come

22nd August 2008 - Wedding date

AOS

================

15th September 2008 - AOS Pack (I485, I131, I765) Sent

22nd September 2008 - NOA1 x 3 Received

6th October 2008 - Transferred to CSC

17th October 2008 - Biometrics

5th December 2008 - EAD & AP approved

20th February 2008 - GC approved

I-751

================

1st December 2010 - I-751 Sent (CSC)

3rd December 2010 - I-751 Received

7th December 2010 - Cheque cashed

3rd January 2011 - Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Definitely file the I-131 at the same time as the AOS. Not to worry you unduly but my AOS took nearly 2 years to approve. With the AP I was able to leave the US and safely return. While you may be lucky and get a quick approval, you may also be unlucky and get a slow one. I certainly wish you the former - but as insurance, fill out and submit the I-131 as well.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.