Tasha and Abdou

Buying a house or property in MENA

Buying a house or property in MENA  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Have you thought about buying a house or property in your SO's country?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If yes, did you proceed forward and purchase a house or property?

• Yes, we live there full time
    • Yes, but we don't live there
    • No, we decided against it
    • Undecided

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hey VJ folks!! My fiance lives in Morocco and I think it as beautiful country. I would love to someday purchase a house there for us to go to for holidays and vacations. I was just wondering if any of you have had the same feelings about your SO's country. I would like to hear about some of your personal experiences. Moroccans especially but MENA as a whole. Any and all responses will be appreciated. :thumbs: Edited by Tasha and Abdou

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

We definately plan on it in the future.

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

I thought I wanted to own property in Egypt, now, I don't think so... When I met my husband I was actually thinking of buying property there for retirement. (I'm 50). My last trip I stayed 2 months. That was when I changed my mind about buying there. As I get older I like the comforts of home... Home in America... pillow top mattresses, parking in my garage, parking spaces when I go shopping, and central heat and a/c. Just to name a FEW of the things I missed when I was there.

It didn't matter to me on shorter trips, or when I was younger. I have many American/Canadian girlfriends in Egypt and some are happy there and some are "stuck" there. I also met an American from my OWN town while I was there who lives there 6 months of the year and here 6 months. Her husband is Egyptian, but lived in the US for the last 35 years and is now retired from Boeing and they decided to live in Alexandria part time to save money and enjoy the culture change while they pursue some hobbies they can do anywhere.

One thing is that the prices in Egypt have skyrocketed in the last 5 years. Partially because of the change in landlord tennant laws (no more rent control...) which made it much more profitable to rent than sell, and then the Iraq war brought in alot more foreign buyers which also drove up the prices.

I might change my mind again someday, because I really really crave having my OWN Place when I go there, but for now it seems out of reach and only something to consider some time down the road. Right now I'm just hoping my husband learns to like it here...

Average price of a flat that I would find suitable for long term living in Alexandria is over $100,000 USD. A rather LARGE committment financially...

K

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Hello - nice to meet you both!

Yes, we talked about buying property in Tunisia - prices & rental income from tourist are both very good. However, right now were working on getting him here. One day in the future once we get settled, we'll check more into it.

Has anyone here actually bought property in there SO's country, other than what they might have already owned? How was the process for you?

The Story of Prince & his Angel

Our Marriage in Ariana, Tunisia - May 1, 2008

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

U.S. Embassy: Tunis, Tunisia

The Journey through VSC:

I-130: June 09, 2008 to April 03, 2009

I-129F: August 5, 2008 to April 03, 2009

The Journey through NVC:

Received by NVC: April 04, 2009

Left NVC: April 13, 2009

The Journey through the Consulate:

April 24, 2009 - May 14, 2009

May 19, 2009 Interview Day @ 11:00 am - PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

May 20, 2009 Picked up VISA

June 26, 2009 Prince flies to America, arrives to JFK - exactly 18 months from the day we met!!

The Journey through AOS:

May 05, 2010 - mailed I-485

May 11, 2010 - text message stating application received

May 13, 2010 - NOA1 for AOS

May 17, 2010 - Biometrics letter rec'd

June 10, 2010 - Biometrics appt

August 03, 2010 - AOS @10:45 am - "conditional" approval pending corrected medical form by Civil Surgeon

Sept 8, 2010 - AOS Approved for 10 year Greencard!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Esalaams/Hello!

We live in my husband's country ... we have a house. Buuut legally I am allowed to own property here as a foreigner. Upon my husband's death his property goes to our son ... but if we had no children together ... then legally they could not kick me out from the home, but I would never be able to own it.

Something to think on for everyone thinking to buy property in the SO's country.

BTW Sara: your baby is beautiful as usual!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Currently, my husband owns a building already but when times are better we have thought about having our own flat built in Alex or the Sinai area. We almost purchased one about 6 months or so in Alex...kind of like a condo plan but decided it wouldn't be in our best interest and I am glad we made that decision. Work hasn't come easy and it would be one more bill to pay.

We have discussed purchasing a vacation home in Jordan. We don't want to live there full time though as even my hubster has admitted to growing quite fond of the easy ways here (ie running water, heat, air conditioning, parking spaces, less litter, and stuff of that nature). We would love to have our own place there though so when we do visit, we could have our own privacy. I want to wait until my son is a bit older before I uproot him from America. He already has enough of an issue learning as it is...

amal

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband and I are definately considering it because the prices of property in Morocco are great. At one time I considered relocating there, but my husband wanted me to focus on school first. Now the thought is buying property to stay in for the holidays or vacations. Really think about it because you get your privacy and don't have to worry about finding a place to stay.

Casandra and Aziz's Timeline
03/26/07 - Received my first call from Aziz
07/21/07 - 1st trip
12/14/07 - 2nd visit to Morocco
05/20/08 - 3rd visit to Morocco
07/10/08 - Married in Morocco
02/15/09 - 4th trip to Morocco

05/12/12 - 1st trip to Morocco together

CR1 Visa Journey
10/06/08 - Sent I-130 Packet
10/09/08 - Received NOA1
04/24/09 - Approval Notice Sent for I-130
07/13/09 - Informed by NVC Casa consulate busy***wait for September interview
07/27/09 - Received appointment letter from NVC WOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09/14/09 - CR1 interview in Casa @ 8:00 am ******APPROVED******
09/15/09 - Visa in Hand
11/07/09 - Travel to US
11/27/09 - Received greencard
ROC
10/21/11 - Sent I-751 package
10/24/11 - USCIS receives the package
10/31/11 - NOA1 received
11/18/11 - Biometrics Interview in JAX
06/27/12 - Approval Notice sent

N-400

09/21/13 - Application filed

09/26/13 - NOA received

10/24/13 - Biometics apt

12/12/13 - Interview date

01/01/14 - Approval notice sent

03/27/14 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yes!

As soon as we get some $$ saved, inchallah... would be great if we could purchase a place or some land or a start a small business in Maghreb.

Inchallah...

Until then, still dreaming.. :innocent:

hz

love0038.gif

For Immigration Timeline, click here.

big wheel keep on turnin * proud mary keep on burnin * and we're rollin * rollin

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Currently, my husband owns a building already but when times are better we have thought about having our own flat built in Alex or the Sinai area. We almost purchased one about 6 months or so in Alex...kind of like a condo plan but decided it wouldn't be in our best interest and I am glad we made that decision. Work hasn't come easy and it would be one more bill to pay.

Hi Tasha, Where in Alex were you thinking of buying? What kind of prices did you find? And what's a "condo plan" that you can build yourself???? All I ever see are high rise buildings. I know there were "villas" in the past but not any more...

Where is your husband's building? I really want a small place where we can stay when we visit near Cleopatra, Ibrahemia, or Semoha if we could afford it... but prices seem to have gone sky high!

Just be sure if you buy there to have it in YOUR name. You can own property there as an American but if it isn't in your name if something happens to Ayman you're going to have a mess on your hands. But he's a lawyer so hopefully he can prevent that. Of course they always say "the cobbler's children have no shoes"... so make him lawyer up and find a way to protect your interest in the property... :)

I think we need to be neighbors... ;) We can build a duplex. tehehehehehehehehehe

K

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi Tasha, Where in Alex were you thinking of buying? What kind of prices did you find? And what's a "condo plan" that you can build yourself???? All I ever see are high rise buildings. I know there were "villas" in the past but not any more...

Where is your husband's building? I really want a small place where we can stay when we visit near Cleopatra, Ibrahemia, or Semoha if we could afford it... but prices seem to have gone sky high!

Just be sure if you buy there to have it in YOUR name. You can own property there as an American but if it isn't in your name if something happens to Ayman you're going to have a mess on your hands. But he's a lawyer so hopefully he can prevent that. Of course they always say "the cobbler's children have no shoes"... so make him lawyer up and find a way to protect your interest in the property... :)

I think we need to be neighbors... ;) We can build a duplex. tehehehehehehehehehe

K

I will have him to send me the site of the condos they were building and email it to you. They were very nice, near the sea, had a playground for the kids. It wasn't too bad of a price either.

I will most definately make him have my rights protected.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.