warlord

Pop Vs. Soda Debate

89 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I personally want to know what "other" is. If it's not Soda, Pop or Coke then what the hell else would it be called?

I've heard "Cola" and "Fizzy" as well. I went to university in the south, and heard a variety terms. Mostly, I heard Soda/Coke in cities and pop in the less populated areas.

LoL @ Sprailenes ....... more people call it by its proper name "Soda" than pop, nuffsaid :dance:

Actually it comes from the original term Soda Pop .. Soda being the adjective, and pop being the noun.

Pop is the correct term as it is the noun. For example, you have a cloud, a white cloud, but do you have a white. Or.. A boy, a dirty boy, but not a dirty.... In the same vein, you have soda pop, pop, but NOT soda. Ergo, soda is not proper. You might as well call your sweater "wool" :)

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I personally want to know what "other" is. If it's not Soda, Pop or Coke then what the hell else would it be called?

I've heard "Cola" and "Fizzy" as well. I went to university in the south, and heard a variety terms. Mostly, I heard Soda/Coke in cities and pop in the less populated areas.

LoL @ Sprailenes ....... more people call it by its proper name "Soda" than pop, nuffsaid :dance:

Actually it comes from the original term Soda Pop .. Soda being the adjective, and pop being the noun.

Pop is the correct term as it is the noun. For example, you have a cloud, a white cloud, but do you have a white. Or.. A boy, a dirty boy, but not a dirty.... In the same vein, you have soda pop, pop, but NOT soda.

Ring Ring Ring! I smell a winner. ;) As a fellow linguist, I concur with the Zyg-miester.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

funny, i go back n forth from soda to coke....grew up in cali and have lived in ky for 11 years now. Although in louisville, i hear pop/soda pop more than coke...rarely coke.

someone called me out when i first moved here because I said soda..."you're not from around here are you?" lol

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Pop is the correct term as it is the noun. For example, you have a cloud, a white cloud, but do you have a white. Or.. A boy, a dirty boy, but not a dirty.... In the same vein, you have soda pop, pop, but NOT soda. Ergo, soda is not proper. You might as well call your sweater "wool" :)

The addition of pop is completely arbitrary. Soda was named as such because it was derived from soda water and delivered to the consumer from a soda fountain.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Here in the Boston area, many older people call soda "tonic".

Timeline
The addition of pop is completely arbitrary.

In your mind it may be arbitrary but if you have no facts to back it up saying that it is arbitrary then I refuse to believe you ;)

My eyes filled with grit

Timeline
The addition of pop is completely arbitrary.

In your mind it may be arbitrary but if you have no facts to back it up saying that it is arbitrary then I refuse to believe you ;)

Well, the facts are that it was derived from "Soda Water". :devil:

It's always funny seeing the reaction you get in different places using the improper term for that area. People found it funny when I was in university at some of the things I said, but in time, they started using it. I take full responsibility for the usage of the word "Dude" in Clemson South Carolina :))

How long will it be til you too will ask a waitor "Could I get a refill on my soda?"

buahahahahahahahahahaha :devil:

Timeline
How long will it be til you too will ask a waitor "Could I get a refill on my soda?"

NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

My eyes filled with grit

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QylncpJy5Rc

its Soda cause Kim Mitchell said so!!!

Edited by flames9

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Well, I always said i'd never use "Y'all" when I was in univ., but I quickly picked that up. Mel has picked up "dude", and I have picked up "eh", next thing will be your conversion..... Give in to the Dark Side (we have cookies). :yes:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Eric and I alwayyyysssss talk about this topic!!! Almost everyone here, in Georgia, call it Coke and if not Coke, then Soda. I call it pop and he laughs at me. Actually, many people look at me weird when I say pop. LOL Don't think I'll ever start calling it Coke or Soda.

It makes me laugh when someone asks if you want a coke and when you say yes, they ask what kind. :D

I can't wait for Eric to come home from work.. gonna have to show him this map!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Here in the Boston area, many older people call soda "tonic".

Yeah I just read that in the North East they call it tonic as well. Other names mentioned were cola and soft drinks. So guess those would be the 'other' catagories.

I got mixed up as a kid. In Canada called it pop, then living in Hawaii it was soda so I learned to call it that, but when we moved back to Canada everyone called it pop again. Everyone just automatically assumed "soda" was the US name and "pop" was uniquley Canadian. I found this wrong when my friends in Michigan always said pop.

After that I just refused to call it by any name and just refered to it as the brand name or 'soft drinks'. Guess that scared me for life so much that about 8 years ago I stopped drinking all soft drinks all together and now I just ask for either water or MGD...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.