Twisted K

No engagement ceremony

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hello, I posted a similar topic on the regional forum, however to widen the base, I am "casting the net" out there. While my fiance and I are in the wonderful world of the waiting game, I am taking this time to drive myself nuts with questions :wacko:

Has there been anyone who was temporarily denied the visa with a 221g asking for engagement ceremony proof including pictures, reception hall bills, catering bills, and guest lists, but DID NOT have a ceremony? What did you do to correct the situation? Did your visa get issued?

We submitted a letter explaining how we met, fell in love, decided to get married, etc. A notarized affidavit stating we were unaware of the necessity of a ceremony, phone records, emails, letters, cards, attorney receipts, photos, etc.

I don't enjoy being put in suspense, unless it is a happy ending, lol :innocent: .

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My then fiance and I didn't have an engagement party. The consular officer at USE Manila did not ask for proof of engagement party. I was not denied at the interview for not having an engagement party.

K1 visa
12.20.07 : NOA1
05.01.08 : NOA2
05.27.08 : MNL case number was received in the US
07.01.08 : interview
07.21.08 : visa on hand!!!
08.25.08 : POE:LAX
09.10.08 : applied for SSN
09.13.08 : just married!!!

11.03.08 : passed behind-the-wheel drive test

AOS
11.12.08 : Sent packet for AOS, EAD and AP
11.17.08 : Packet received at Chicago, IL (day 1)
11.24.08 : Check encashed (day 7)
12.17.08 : Biometrics! (day 30)
01.13.09 : AP and EAD approved (day 57)
01.20.09 : AP arrived in the mail (day 64)
01.22.09 : EAD card received (day 66)
04.20.09 : AOS interview
04.24.09 : Welcome letter received

My then fiance and I didn't have an engagement party. The consular officer at USE Manila did not ask for proof of engagement party. I was not denied at the interview for not having an engagement party.

The OP is talking about an interview at the USEM in India. The CO's in India are aware that engagement ceremonies are very common in India, they are part of the normal culture, so that is why they may be asked about an engagement party or why they did not have one.

There is someone on this forum that has been temporarily "put on hold" as far as approval for K-1 because they did not have an engagement party (they also interviewed at the USEM in India). I am sorry I cannot find the link for that topic, but if you do a search and ask around I am sure someone can direct you kaushalia.

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

The OP is talking about an interview at the USEM in India. The CO's in India are aware that engagement ceremonies are very common in India, they are part of the normal culture, so that is why they may be asked about an engagement party or why they did not have one.

There is someone on this forum that has been temporarily "put on hold" as far as approval for K-1 because they did not have an engagement party (they also interviewed at the USEM in India). I am sorry I cannot find the link for that topic, but if you do a search and ask around I am sure someone can direct you kaushalia.

I found a link for a topic where someone was asked for evidence concerning a future-planned wedding ceremony and interviewed in India: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166591

They do not mention evidence for engagement ceremony but they were asked to present evidence for a planned wedding ceremony. I suggest you contact the member by PM for more info.

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted!

Edited by MARM

Visa Journey completed, but we are still here to provide support! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I found a link for a topic where someone was asked for evidence concerning a future-planned wedding ceremony and interviewed in India: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=166591

They do not mention evidence for engagement ceremony but they were asked to present evidence for a planned wedding ceremony. I suggest you contact the member by PM for more info.

Hope this helps!

Keep us posted!

Thank you very much, I read this post previously, also. I thought it was crazier than the request they gave me, lol. They tell you not to plan anything just in case you don't get the visa, then they asked his fiance, "Why didn't you plan anything?" One flew over the cuckoo's nest.

There is not much age difference in us, either, he is 10 months older than me. Neither of us have been married before, and no children. I have read where one person was denied with the 221g and he was successful the second time by starting from scratch and going there for the next interview. If all else fails, that is what we will have to do also. But I don't want to make any plans for that if this actually, by the grace of God, gets approved.

Still keeping my fingers, and toes crossed.

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.