kaydee457

Obama's true colors: Black, white ... or neither?

49 posts in this topic

The only thing I can see here is some rather extreme right wingers trying to mitigate the circumstances for the loss of their own candidate. It's easier to swallow that somehow Obama was manipulated into office by the 'liberal' media or the 'white guilt' vote or the 'black' vote or whatever else they can come up with than tha actual fact that McCain was a lame candidate who's decision to tag Ms Palin as VP and use pathetic 'Joe the Plumber' anecdotes to woo the voting public back fired so spectacularly with a very damning rejection of what he stood for.

The fact is that there are many reasons why people voted for Obama and he certainly did not rely on being black to get elected, had that been his core message he'd be back in the senate at this very moment. Voters may not all be very sophisticated but the majority aren't going to vote simply to see the first 'black president' at the expense of their own well being - voters chose Democratic because they felt in the end that the Dem candidate had the better handle on the economic situation, he is their best chance to weather the recession. Whether they are right or not of course remains to be seen.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
All I can say is that until Tiger Woods, who is 1/6 black, can play at Augusta National without anyone looking at him like he's the "help", we as Americans will still be defining people by their color. It is a shame.

A complete shame indeed.

Happy Sunday to all. :)

HAL 9000 is out the door for the day before tomorrow's freeze down.

Have a good one. :)

48 for a high today. 18 tomorrow. Brrrrr...

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: Timeline
All I can say is that until Tiger Woods, who is 1/6 black, can play at Augusta National without anyone looking at him like he's the "help", we as Americans will still be defining people by their color. It is a shame.

A complete shame indeed.

Happy Sunday to all. :)

HAL 9000 is out the door for the day before tomorrow's freeze down.

Have a good one. :)

48 for a high today. 18 tomorrow. Brrrrr...

Damn. It's in the 60's here when I wake up. :D

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Lisa-

I don't need to prove otherwise...you said 'the data supports it' so I'm calling you on it. I've made no claims to prove or disprove here.

We've already all agreed on the fact that there have only been white candidates for POTUS, so how can anyone imply racism for 'voting white' on any group? That's my point, in case you missed it.

Sounds like a dodgy SAT problem:

'All candidates are white, all evangelicals are republicans, so which is true? A. evangelicals are racists B. republicans are racist, etc....'

Insomuch as black evangelical republican non POTUS candidates, I have no clue....you made the claim there's supporting data, so I'm interested in seeing it. Unless that was bull$hit?

Semantics indeed!

Inherently, its called common sense. Look it up unless you have data to the contrary.

Furthermore, its yet again the lack of reading issue which predominates in your response. I never used the assumptive, 'all are this or that' definition some people like to use quite frequently. Please read more carefully.

Evangelical Christians almost always vote for republican candidates. Candidates who almost always happen to be white.

Almost always? So when the repub candidate is not white, what do those Evangelicals do?

We'll see when there is a notable non-white Republican candidate that gets a Presidential nomination.

So how does that factor into the whole 'EC's always vote along racial lines' theory? ;)

I wasn't speaking in absolutes. Just wondering why its ok to slam blacks who voted for obama (the black community tends lean democrat anyway

) but apparently not ok to point out that the same hold true for some republican voters.

Exactly.

The only thing I can see here is some rather extreme right wingers trying to mitigate the circumstances for the loss of their own candidate. It's easier to swallow that somehow Obama was manipulated into office by the 'liberal' media or the 'white guilt' vote or the 'black' vote or whatever else they can come up with than tha actual fact that McCain was a lame candidate who's decision to tag Ms Palin as VP and use pathetic 'Joe the Plumber' anecdotes to woo the voting public back fired so spectacularly with a very damning rejection of what he stood for.

The fact is that there are many reasons why people voted for Obama and he certainly did not rely on being black to get elected, had that been his core message he'd be back in the senate at this very moment. Voters may not all be very sophisticated but the majority aren't going to vote simply to see the first 'black president' at the expense of their own well being - voters chose Democratic because they felt in the end that the Dem candidate had the better handle on the economic situation, he is their best chance to weather the recession. Whether they are right or not of course remains to be seen.

Yes, even wingnuts can be sore losers.

Edited by HAL 9000

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.