PnA

Problems getting married in Egypt

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline
Hey guys,

I have been reading alot of posts stating, that Im going to be denied the certificate I need to marry here in Egypt. Supposedly the Egyptian government is cracking down on giving foreigners permission to marry Egyptian citizens.

Does anyone have any insight on this ?

Maybe I'm out of touch but I haven't ever heard of this problem. I know that the US Embassy was refusing to provide US Citizens with the proper documentation (required by the Egyptian government) for about a year between April 07 and February 08 which resulted in Americans being unable to get legally married in Egypt (myself included during that time period) but I have never heard of the Egyptian Government making it difficult for foreigners to marry Egyptian citizens.

As far as I know you do need to have a document from the US Embassy stating you are eligible for marriage, (or something to that effect). And if you've been married before you need to have a certified copy of your divorce decree.

Here is a link to the US Embassy's website giving instructions on how to get married in Egypt: http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/acs12.htm

If you could give more information about these problems you are hearing about maybe more information can be found...

K

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

No. This is new? There was a period last year where the American Embassy in Cairo wasn't giving them the certificate saying they are free to marry because they don't have a right to say that or do background checks on Americans. After a few months they finally started issuing them again because the Egyptian government required them for Americans and Egyptians to marry.

As far as I know, unless you are the first to tell us new news, then it is free and clear again for Americans and Egyptians to marry. However I do know in parliment they were trying to permit that Egyptian Males can not marry before the age of 32 because of all the Egyptian males who try to skip out on military duty by marrying a foreigner. That also no longer works btw because of marriage reform laws in Egypt. At the begining of this year they started taking Egyptian males married to foreign spouses between the ages of 18-30. My Husband has been taken and he won't be released until May 15th, 2009. This threw a whole wrentch in our visa process delaying us for nearly a year an half.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

there is no problems

u can get married

dont worry

salam

huda.jpg

tvquran_16.gif

My Visajourney

Our Marriage: (2008)

Date I-130 Sent : ( 2009-10-14)

Your item was delivered at 9:38 PM on October 18, 2009 in CHICAGO, IL 60680. USPS

The Money order money cashed at last on October 26, 2009 ... Waiting the NOA1

Date I-130 NOA1 (Receipt) : (2009-11-2) Dated in 23 Oct

Touched 27 Oct 2009 and 11,12 Feb 2010

Date I-130 NOA2 (Approved) : (2010-02-12) 4 Months From sending date !!

♥NVC JOURNEY♥

02-19-2010 : NVC case number assigned

04-07-2010 : Sent DS-3032 by E-mail

04-10-2010 : DS-3032 Accepted

04-14-2010 : Paid (AOS) Online

04-16-2010 : (AOS) shown as PAID

09-10-2010 : IV bill shows as PAID

08-03-2010: (AOS) packet completed and returned

08-23-2010 : NVC Received Completed (AOS)

09-20-2010 : DS-203 Completed and returned

09-23-2010 : NVC Received Completed DS-230

09-24-2010 : (AOS) accepted Per operator

09-28-2010 : DS-230 Entered Into System( and they also send checklist about sponsor :S )

10-15-2010 : DS-230 Completed with Checklist Also :S

01-11/14-2011 : Mailed /Delivered wt missing in both packets

02-01-2011 : SIF!!

02-03-2011 : Case Complete!

3rd Aug2011: Interview Date (AP Alhumdolillah ,,)

12 OCT2011 : Visa In Hand AP is over after 2 months from interview date

NOV2011 : POE

Filed: Timeline

I haven't heard of any issues and we have a friend (American) getting married to an Egyptian next month...so I'm almost certain there are no current issues. Also our very good friend from England just married an Egyptian man this past month, they had no issues.

Best of luck!! (F)

Like everyone else said, if this is what's happening, it's news to us. The only paperwork you will need to have issued in Egypt is a document that says you are free to marry. Take your future husband with you because the document has two sides - English on the left and Arabic on the right - and your English will have to be translated into Arabic. The Embassy does not and will not provide someone to translate. You will either have to have your future husband do it or find a friendly face to do it for you. Also, get there at 8:00 sharp, when the American Citizen Services section opens because getting the paper takes hours and if you don't have it in your hand before 11:00 you will not have it that day.

I'm curious. I've seen your posts in the DCF section and I'm wondering how you manage to live with your future husband in Egypt. I thought that was illegal?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

It was a problem a while ago, but it looks to be corrected acording to the embassy.

http://cairo.usembassy.gov/consular/acs12.htm

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

i guess what Jillai talking about in case the husband is Christian i have a friend married to Italian and the problems showed when he wants to get some approves from church in order to complete his papers part for the marriage and its a lil bet hard but he got it thats the only hard part i knew and about the others problems it WAS but now its ok

if he is Christian let me know and i will ask him for you what exactly needs to be done for the papers

Service Center: Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Egypt

Marriage : 2008-03-03

I-130 Sent : 2008-05-29

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-06-06

TOUCHED : 2008-31-12

I-130 Approved : 2009-1-1

.png

Filed: Timeline
Like everyone else said, if this is what's happening, it's news to us. The only paperwork you will need to have issued in Egypt is a document that says you are free to marry. Take your future husband with you because the document has two sides - English on the left and Arabic on the right - and your English will have to be translated into Arabic. The Embassy does not and will not provide someone to translate. You will either have to have your future husband do it or find a friendly face to do it for you. Also, get there at 8:00 sharp, when the American Citizen Services section opens because getting the paper takes hours and if you don't have it in your hand before 11:00 you will not have it that day.

I'm curious. I've seen your posts in the DCF section and I'm wondering how you manage to live with your future husband in Egypt. I thought that was illegal?

It is illegal.

But so many people do it there...in the American/European areas of Cairo. Tons of students and Western companies rent out flats and men/women just stay over or share flats. I think managers of buildings just look the other way for a few more bucks a month or Orfy... :whistle:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We were married in '06 in Alexandria. I know shortly after the American Embassy changed their policy of giving the free to marry certificate.

The free to marry certificate was re-instated again in '07. The USC has go to the

American Service section and if you have been previously married you must have your divorce decree before they will issue your free to marry certificate.

The free to marry certificate has one side in english and the other in arabic. My hubby filled out the arabic side for me. Then we were called to one of the windows and they notarized the document.

Wael went to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Alex to have them stamp the free to marry certificate.

We then had to get an appointment with the Ministry of Justice for our marriage. You both will need your ID's, the free to marry certificate, two male witnesses and pay the fees.

After your marriage call the embassy for an appointment to file your DCF petition.

One last thing....Wael had a home investigator sent by the embassy and he was concerned

if we had a wedding party. We did and he was satifised. I know of some cases that didn't have

a party and it didn't matter, but in our case the party was an important element for the embassy.

Good luck with your journey!!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Country: Egypt
Timeline

Actually the problem was resolved at the beginning of this year. Just days before I left Alexandria on Feb. 9th 2008 we discovered that the Consulate was doing the papers again. Too late for us, but nice for everyone else.

One other suggestion, if you are already married Orfy don't lie about that in the interview. If you have been living together in Egypt prior to your Official Marriage and then lie about having been married Orfy it will not well for you in the interview process. H came on a K-1 Visa and they asked him in the interview if we were already married Orfy and he told them we were. They asked if we had been married Officially in Egypt and he said no. No problem, they just wanted to know if he was lying. Worse to lie than have an Orfy marriage before the Official one...

Mabrook on your upcoming marriage.

K

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.