Todeski

Greencard Approved. I-94 Taken. Travelling before getting card

10 posts in this topic

Hi there. I had my AOS interview this week where the officer took my I-94. They said 10 days to get my Greencard, but I am traveling overseas before my green card arrives. I have my AP forms, which he did not take. Since I have my AP forms, will I still need my I-94 or am I going to face trouble getting back into the country on Jan 3? Would telling my situation as I leave the US enable them to mark something into the system so they know I have left? I know the answers to these questions can't change me leaving but it would put my mind at ease knowing if anyone can help!

Thanks.

Hi there. I had my AOS interview this week where the officer took my I-94. They said 10 days to get my Greencard, but I am traveling overseas before my green card arrives. I have my AP forms, which he did not take. Since I have my AP forms, will I still need my I-94 or am I going to face trouble getting back into the country on Jan 3? Would telling my situation as I leave the US enable them to mark something into the system so they know I have left? I know the answers to these questions can't change me leaving but it would put my mind at ease knowing if anyone can help!

Thanks.

You may be walking on thin ice. You should have asked for a I 551 stamp in your PP.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Thanks.

You may be walking on thin ice. You should have asked for a I 551 stamp in your PP.

I had my greencard interview this week and the interviewer told me that while I'd be waiting for the card to arrive, my AP would no longer be valid. I will suggest you to schedule infopass then ask for the temporary greencard stamp on your passport.

Good luck!

K-1

Application mailed.............12-04-2008

NOA1...............................12-07-2008

Touched...........................03-19-2008

NOA2...............................03-19-2008

Touched...........................04-08-2008

Touched...........................04-22-2008

Sent to NVC......................04-23-2008

Case number generated.....04-29-2008

Case left NVC....................04-30-2008

Case arrived at embassy....05-06-2008

Packet 3...........................05-07-2008

Medical check....................05-08-2008

Packet 4............................05-08-2008

Interview date....05-22-2008 APPROVED

Visa in hand.......................05-29-2008

US entry............................06-02-2008

The wedding......................06-07-2008

AOS, EAD, and AP

Application mailed..............06-18-2008

Application received............06-20-2008

NOA1................................06-24-2008

Touched............................06-27-2008

Biometrics appointment.......07-15-2008

Touched on I-765...............09-03-2008

EAD Card ordered...............09-03-2008

EAD & AP received..............09-10-2008

AOS interview.....................12-08-2008

AOS approved.....................12-08-2008

Two-year GC received..........01-05-2009

Removing Condition (I-751)

Application mailed..................09-17-2010

Application received................09-20-2010

NOA1................................09-27-2010

Biometrics appointments...11-04-2010 & 12-28-2010

App approved...................01-13-2011

Ten-yr GC received.............01-18-2011

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Once you are approved for AOS your AP and EAD are no longer valid and can not be used. If you have immediate travel plans you should take evidence of your travel to your interview and ask for the I-551 stamp in your passport.

If you have already had your interview and are leaving within the next 10 days you need to make an infopass appointment at your local office and request the I-551 stamp. Make sure you take your travel info and your passport with you.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks.

Exactly! Get back to the local office with evidence of imminent travel abroad and ask them for the I-551 stamp in your passport. AP is no longer valid.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I am in the same situation. My wife got AOS approved today, i94 was taken away and she want to go back to visit her mom for mother's day which is 4 days away .

She didn't get stamped. Is there still time for infopass appointment to ask for I 551 ? without travel ticket purchase.

becuase she wants to make sure she can get I551 in time then purchase plane ticket.

can she take the trip anyway and I can mail her greencard once I receive in the mail and come back to USA using Greencard?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
I left the US after my AOS was approved and before I had received my GC. Upon my return I presented my AP with my passport and was processed as normal. The AP was valid.

I would make an infopass apt and press the importance of the travel. If they do not feel its an emergency, they might not stamp your passport,

but if you are real convincing, they might ;) good luck!

Timeline: I am the USC - my husband is the beneficiary

11-02-05:..........Met online - We are both musicians: him music composer and me vocalist ( visit me at: www.myspace.com/etherealsopranoamethyste )

11-26-08:..........My love comes to see me for a holiday visit.

01-24-09:..........Impromptu Wedding in our little apartment!!! I LOVE you!!!

02-03-09:..........Went to the Civil Surgeon - Enveloppe in hand! Life is good!

02-09-09:..........Mailed ( certified ) the AOS package ( I-485, I-130, I-864, I-765, I-131, G-325A + all supporting evidence and more! )

02-11-09:..........Package delivered at Chicago Lockbox

02-20-09:..........Money Orders Cashed!

02-23-09:..........We received today our 4 NOAs ( I-485, I-130, I-765 and I-131 ) - NOAs dated 2-18-09

02-24-09:..........Biometrics apt. Letter: 03-08-09 8AM.

03-09-09:..........Biometrics done - in and out in 10 mins.

03-20-09:..........Received today INTERVIEW LETTER FOR: 04-21-09!!!! ( TOTAL DAYS FROM FILING TO INTERVIEW: 68 DAYS!!! )

04-10-09:..........Received AP in mail!

04-13-09:..........Received EAD in mail! ~~~ WE ARE SO GRATEFUL AND HAPPY!!! ~~~

04-21-09:..........AOS interview in Manchester NH - I-130 approved - I-485 No decision made - Were told to wait for decision letter

04-27-09:.......... ******* WELCOME TO AMERICA LETTER RCD! ******* ~~ adjustment from VWP without a problem! ~~

05-01-09:..........GREENCARD IN HAND!!! WOOO!!!

TOTAL TIME FROM AOS REACHING LOCKBOX TO GREENCARD IN HAND: 79 DAYS!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

It's risky, to say the least, to travel pending the GC. Think instead of all that time (and money) spent on getting approved for AOS, and think of the good possibility that there will be difficulty re-entering the US. Get the nearest USCIS office to stamp the passport, and postpone the trip even if Mother's Day is the reason for it. Mom will be glad to see you even if it's two weeks later, right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.