Larry and Maria

When does the Permanent Resident Clock Start?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

We have searched for the unambiguous definition of "Permanent Resident" over the past couple years and still do not find any clear explanation and definition.

Does the date the Conditional "Green Card" was issued count as the start date for the clock running to apply after 3 yrs for Citizenship?

Or, does the 10 year resident card issuance date start the clock?

Can you point us to the USCIS Government page where the definitions are clearly stated?

Thanks!

Larry and Maria

Larry and Maria

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The date you were approved for Permanent Residency is the date you use to count forward 3 years for naturalization. You can actually apply 90 days before the 3-year anniversary date.

I see from your timeline that your AOS was approved on Jan. 17/07. That means you are eligible to apply for naturalization in October, 2009.

Edited by raymaga

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

It's all on the USCIS website if you look for it.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

We have searched for the unambiguous definition of "Permanent Resident" over the past couple years and still do not find any clear explanation and definition.

Does the date the Conditional "Green Card" was issued count as the start date for the clock running to apply after 3 yrs for Citizenship?

Can you point us to the USCIS Government page where the definitions are clearly stated?

Thanks!

Larry and Maria

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks!

Larry and Maria

Regardless if I look at the Resident Since date on my wife's conditional or ten year green card, made scanned copies, they took these back, the dates are the same. Aren't they the same on yours? All USCIS forms insist on a mm/dd/yyyy format, but on her green cards, they use a mm/dd/yy format, wonder why they do that?

But that Resident Since date is when the clock starts ticking, clearing explained in the M-476 manual, worthwhile reading if you do not want to hire an immigration attorney.

Your green card has a "resident since" date written on it. That is the date when you became a lawful permanent resident according to the USCIS.

Whether your initial LPR status was conditional or not has no effect on your wait time for citizenship. If you go through the removing conditions process, your 10 year green card will have exactly the same "resident since" date as your original 2-year card. That "resident since" date is the important one for determining when you became a LPR.

Typically, if still married, you can file for citizenship about one year after you filed for removal of conditions, assuming you meet all of the many other requirements as stated in the M-476. You DON'T have to wait until you've had your ten year card for a certain time; you only have to wait until the required time has elapsed since your "resident since" date.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline
Your green card has a "resident since" date written on it. That is the date when you became a lawful permanent resident according to the USCIS.

Whether your initial LPR status was conditional or not has no effect on your wait time for citizenship. If you go through the removing conditions process, your 10 year green card will have exactly the same "resident since" date as your original 2-year card. That "resident since" date is the important one for determining when you became a LPR.

Typically, if still married, you can file for citizenship about one year after you filed for removal of conditions, assuming you meet all of the many other requirements as stated in the M-476. You DON'T have to wait until you've had your ten year card for a certain time; you only have to wait until the required time has elapsed since your "resident since" date.

Ha, my wife never received her ten year card until a month before her USC interview, then they took it back before her oath ceremony. Was a lot of money and work to get that card, just for a couple of months of usage.

Shouldn't they let us amortize the cost of that card and give us back 1-2/120 times our money back?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks!

Larry and Maria

Can't tell you a website but can tell you to simply look at her card.... it is clearly stated there

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

This quite clearly addressed in the form instructions for the associated applications. Give them a read, you'll find your official answer.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thank you for all the answers.

Yes, we looked at the M-476 Guide before asking.

The 2 years "green card" only says "Resident" for the date.

No 10 year "green card" yet so there's no other card to compare with.

We like most of you, have spent quite a bit of time searching USCS docs and VJ "Guides" over the past three plus years to get answers to questions.

Some of the info on VJ we've actually found to be out of date.

In all the documentation, we've not see a definition that clarifies the difference between "Conditional" Permanent Resident and Permanent Resident with "Conditions Removed" affects "Resident" dates.

That was the question we were looking to find an answer for in all the USCIS docs.

For example, a good place would be Page 22 of M-476; it's not there.

Maybe it's somewhere and we just didn't find it.

What we were trying to avoid was filing before it was time and causing a "gotcha"!

It seems odd that the designation "Conditional Permanent" and "Permanent without Conditions" is the same, at least as far as the date goes.

It seems the real "Permanent Resident" Date would be the date the 10-year "green card" is issued with no "conditions".

Thanks again for taking the time to have responded; we appreciated it.

Larry and Maria

Filed: Timeline

A Conditional Permanent Resident is a Permanent Resident.

We like most of you, have spent quite a bit of time searching USCS docs and VJ "Guides" over the past three plus years to get answers to questions.

In all the documentation, we've not see a definition that clarifies the difference between "Conditional" Permanent Resident and Permanent Resident with "Conditions Removed" affects "Resident" dates.

That was the question we were looking to find an answer for in all the USCIS docs.

What we were trying to avoid was filing before it was time and causing a "gotcha"!

It seems odd that the designation "Conditional Permanent" and "Permanent without Conditions" is the same, at least as far as the date goes.

It seems the real "Permanent Resident" Date would be the date the 10-year "green card" is issued with no "conditions".

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline
A Conditional Permanent Resident is a Permanent Resident.

For the N-400, you must be a lawful permanent resident since the date your conditional card was stamped with that date, as it expires exactly two years later on the day before your 2nd anniversary date, you can go back two years and add one day for the day you first became a lawful permanent resident.

Can also be a LPR with an expired conditional card as long as you have that one year extension notice, an I-551 stamp in your current valid foreign passport, OR an infopass issued I-94 pass.

Have to admit to being only 99.7% sure of my wife's LPR status before risking 675 bucks, so called my immigration attorney, no charge, he said he was 100% sure as my wife had a soon to expire one year extension notice. We sent it in, no problems and that was precisely 90 days before her 3rd anniversary plus a day's grace, make that 89 days.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.