Wis-Can

Canadian Medical

28 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I guess some dr's do more than others, it is his signature stating that you are healthy, so he ensures is a full physical. As i recall, i thought mine was very quick, I do believe he did the cough test,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I do believe he did the cough test,lol

Somewhere in the back of my mind I know that there is "more than meets the eye" to this statement, but I can't think for the life of me what it is you are "insinuating" :wacko:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I could be lewd or proper, so I'll aim for the middle road. Generally, I have assumed that it is when the doctor places his or her hand on a man's ####### and has them

cough. This to ensure proper transition from adolescent to adulthood. I don't know the specifics beyond that.

I will let her know what I've found from your situations, I hope that if the "stripping" is needed, that at least she knows ahead of time. Sorry to hear about your

uneasiness with the situation.

USA_a.gif

Timeline

lol, ya its a guy thing,lol I thought everyone knew what the cough test was!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
I could be lewd or proper, so I'll aim for the middle road. Generally, I have assumed that it is when the doctor places his or her hand on a man's ####### and has them

cough. This to ensure proper transition from adolescent to adulthood. I don't know the specifics beyond that.

I will let her know what I've found from your situations, I hope that if the "stripping" is needed, that at least she knows ahead of time. Sorry to hear about your

uneasiness with the situation.

gotcha... 'nuff said!

Yep.. I guess that's all hubby & I were shocked at.. we really thought it was just a rubber stamp medical (kinda like what you get for a driver's test).. turns out it's a wee bit more involved than that :)

lol, ya its a guy thing,lol I thought everyone knew what the cough test was!!

I guess if you are a GUY you know what it is :blink::)

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would imagine the same mysteries surround the women's visit to her gyno office. We, or I, can only assume that feeling versus

the examination of the prostate later on in life.

Anyways, has anyone who visited this doctor not had it covered by insurance, and if so, what was your cost? We are on a tight budget

and its nice to know ahead of time. Also, did you bring your 3 passport pictures to the office?

USA_a.gif

Timeline

Dr. Frank Doane

6169 Quinpool Road

Halifax, NS B3L 4P8

902-422-4555

Your best bet is to phone to check the $$$, as the fees always seem to change!! I think the whole thing was around $300. Dr doane only took CASH (no credit card/cheques) back in 2004. I was in the Air Force, so I paid out of pocket.

And as much as one hates physicals, it is probably good that he does a proper one, as if he does find something alarming, you can get it looked at in canada, vice paying the big bucks in the USA (if u dont have insurance)

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;p=557998&

i went to Dr. Doane and here's our review.. he also got out a ruler and measured my tat.. so expect that.. he's pretty detailed.

The cost of most of the exam was covered via Blue Cross for me - so if you are covered it might be worth submitting the receipt (you have to ask for one with his address on it) for reimbursement as well! :thumbs:

I just read your review of your medical, WHAT THE HELL! I'm not comfortable with that. Why would you have to strip? I can get copies of my mammograms from the Nova Scotia Breast Screening and copy of my last pap from my family doctor. I think that's terrible. I can see the blood work, and could probably deal with the pelvic exam. But to strip, is this normal procedure. You must have been....I don't even know what to say. I have had medicals done before, height, weight, blood work, blood pressure, medical history, but never to that extreme. Blood work I woud think would tell them everything they need to know. Do you know or anyone else know if there is a standard for the Visa Medical that covers what all is done? Now I'm on a mission to find out. Thanks for the info. Take care,.

The standard should be a complete physical examination. I'm sure that's what it states has to be done prior to your visa interview. To me, a complete physical examination means you strip, and put on one of those paper towel gowns, and you may or may not have a breast examination, your genital region could be examined or not. Your stomach is palpated, your ears, nose throat and mouth are checked. Your temp, weight, height, eyes, are checked. You have a urine test. Hmmm, maybe reflexes, your fingers and toes, perhaps the nails to see if they're healthy. Back tamping and checking with stethascope, bp checked....gosh, anyway, that's what a physical check up means to me. I'm sure there was something on the medical for tattoos and scars. Your drug and mental health history is also discussed. Actually, didn't someone once scan a copy of the medical report and post it here on VJ? or is it on someone's profile photo's?

So Wis-Can...what are you objecting to?

I would imagine the same mysteries surround the women's visit to her gyno office. We, or I, can only assume that feeling versus

the examination of the prostate later on in life.

Anyways, has anyone who visited this doctor not had it covered by insurance, and if so, what was your cost? We are on a tight budget

and its nice to know ahead of time. Also, did you bring your 3 passport pictures to the office?

The physical's, and x-rays and blood tests are done by a Surgeon who is approved by the US gov't. to conduct these tests. This is done over and above their regular "Canadian" practice, and thus they are paid in cash usually, and it's not covered by the provincial insurance plans at all. A few of us have got our vacinations done, maybe the blood and xray done under the provincial health plan, or asked for money from their private insurer for that to be reimbursed, but I've never heard of anyone having their medical exam done and it being covered. Costs range anywhere from $250 - $400.00. You'll be lucky if you get any vaccinations, x-rays and blood work covered as well. This could cost upwards to $100-200.00 on top of the medical examination cost.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
The physical's, and x-rays and blood tests are done by a Surgeon who is approved by the US gov't. to conduct these tests. This is done over and above their regular "Canadian" practice, and thus they are paid in cash usually, and it's not covered by the provincial insurance plans at all. A few of us have got our vacinations done, maybe the blood and xray done under the provincial health plan, or asked for money from their private insurer for that to be reimbursed, but I've never heard of anyone having their medical exam done and it being covered. Costs range anywhere from $250 - $400.00. You'll be lucky if you get any vaccinations, x-rays and blood work covered as well. This could cost upwards to $100-200.00 on top of the medical examination cost.

Oh oh me over here. I got my medical exam reimbursed by Blue Cross. I believe they said something at the time that if the exam had been done IN province they wouldn't cover it, but because I had to travel to NS, they would cover it. I did pay out of pocket but when i returned to PEI I got my money back at the quick pay office. the x-ray was covered under the provincial plan. I considered myself really lucky to have received reimbursement for everything :)

AOS:

Removal of Conditions:

Naturalization

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;p=557998&

i went to Dr. Doane and here's our review.. he also got out a ruler and measured my tat.. so expect that.. he's pretty detailed.

The cost of most of the exam was covered via Blue Cross for me - so if you are covered it might be worth submitting the receipt (you have to ask for one with his address on it) for reimbursement as well! :thumbs:

I just read your review of your medical, WHAT THE HELL! I'm not comfortable with that. Why would you have to strip? I can get copies of my mammograms from the Nova Scotia Breast Screening and copy of my last pap from my family doctor. I think that's terrible. I can see the blood work, and could probably deal with the pelvic exam. But to strip, is this normal procedure. You must have been....I don't even know what to say. I have had medicals done before, height, weight, blood work, blood pressure, medical history, but never to that extreme. Blood work I woud think would tell them everything they need to know. Do you know or anyone else know if there is a standard for the Visa Medical that covers what all is done? Now I'm on a mission to find out. Thanks for the info. Take care,.

I don't mean to freak you out.. and perhaps I was an odd duck, but I was shocked.. I TOTALLY didn't expect that - and I was completely freaked out during the exam. I didn't even shave if you get my drift! I came out of there totally humiliated, not by his lack of professionalism- cause he had that, but because my expectation was that it was just a "little medical".. IMO he's WAAAAY more over the top than many of the other Dr's that people write about here. He literally took a ruler out and measured my tattoo (on my back - i'm in the nude and he's behind me measuring.. ).. that was a little humiliating.. it was put in my medical too (the size and the type of flower). Just want to make sure you know my experience - maybe it will be different for you - but that's my experience.

That ok, know ahead of time is much better. I've never heard of a medical that detailed before. Take care.

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Timeline

A complete physical should be a head to toe assessment! Yes some other Immigration approved Dr's may not do that--quick and dirty and pocket the $$$$. As a RN student I would feel pretty bad if I signed my name to something that was only half A S S E D completed! Believe me its nothing "sexual" when I have to do certain procedure on female (or male) patients, it is strictly professional! Your uncomfortable, and so am I!!

Hmm, well I guess I will get her to contact the office. She lives within the province, so I doubt that loophole would work.

Thanks for the information so far.

If your fiancee has group insurance where she works it may cover it. Mine covers a percentage for a full medical, I live and work in Nova Scotia. Good luck with your journey! :thumbs:

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.