Wis-Can

Canadian Medical

28 posts in this topic

Hey guys, just wondering from fellow Nova Scotian's (Canada) what all was involved with their medicals? Thank you. :whistle:

Wisconsin Hunter & A Canadian Beaver

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Had mine in Halifax with DR doane on Quinpool road ( i think) near wendys and Canadian tire!! The physical part was very painless-- quick head to toe assessment and asked some questions! Then it was off to the hospital (short drive--they give u directions) for blood work and. x-rays. I believe Dr doane only accepted cash, but at the hospital I belive they took credit card/debit card as well. Can't recall how many pictures I had to take with me, me thinks 2??? Was a very painless procedure!! I paid $20 (back in 2004) and had the results couriered to me.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Had mine in Halifax with DR doane on Quinpool road ( i think) near wendys and Canadian tire!! The physical part was very painless-- quick head to toe assessment and asked some questions! Then it was off to the hospital (short drive--they give u directions) for blood work and. x-rays. I believe Dr doane only accepted cash, but at the hospital I belive they took credit card/debit card as well. Can't recall how many pictures I had to take with me, me thinks 2??? Was a very painless procedure!! I paid $20 (back in 2004) and had the results couriered to me.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. That was the doctors name that I was given. I live in the Annapolis Valley, so I am only an hour and a half away from the city. So not bad. THANKS AGAIN.

event.png

Timeline

I was in Greenwood NS at the time

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My fiance Danielle will be going to see him soon. Thanks for the information. Was the hospital visit for blood work and xrays fairly painless?

She's gone to Dartmouth medical for lab work before and it was simply a nurse taking blood. Similar situation as best you can remember?

Thanks!

USA_a.gif

Timeline

Since Im a RN student, ur comment 'simply a nurse" doesn't exactly sit well with me!! Not sure what you mean by that?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I meant that rather than a lengthy waiting time and red tape, she just talked to the receptionist in the waiting area where 30 or so people were waiting. Afterwards, we entered a room with 5 women, who were taking blood from individuals. I wasn't specifying her job, but rather the environment.

USA_a.gif

Timeline

flames, I think the sentence was meant to be read as - she went to the Dartmouth medical for lab work and it was simply blood work being drawn by a nurse.

I don't think they meant to imply that a nurse is simply a nurse. Bad karma if they did.

She's gone to Dartmouth medical for lab work before and it was simply a nurse taking blood. Similar situation as best you can remember?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;p=557998&

i went to Dr. Doane and here's our review.. he also got out a ruler and measured my tat.. so expect that.. he's pretty detailed.

The cost of most of the exam was covered via Blue Cross for me - so if you are covered it might be worth submitting the receipt (you have to ask for one with his address on it) for reimbursement as well! :thumbs:

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Timeline

Lot of cases in those environments they aren't nurses (RN or LPN),but phlebotomists,which in many cases are better at drawing up blood than nurses as they do it all the time! i went to my family Dr back in June--the nurses or medical assistants were late and the Dr. tried to take my blood,lol after 3 pokes he gave up!! So i had to wait for them "experts to come in,lol

The whole evolution took pretty much a day. I think my appt at dr doans was around 10am and from their straight to the hospital. Did Xrays first then bloodwork! I think I finished around 2 pm Anytime one deals with stuff with a dr--it involves a lot of waiting! bring a book!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
My fiance Danielle will be going to see him soon. Thanks for the information. Was the hospital visit for blood work and xrays fairly painless?

Thanks!

When she goes to the hospital after the medical, she'll have to go to the business office first and pay for the x-ray and the bloodwork, she'll need to show the receipts to the two different departments and tell them she needs them for a USA visa and theresults need to be sent to Dr.Doane. They are used to this. The set-up is a typical hospital -- lab techs will take her blood, x-ray techs will take her x-ray. It's fairly painless, although getting around the QEII hospital can be a bit confusing.

Dr. Doane's office is very efficient and he is very efficient, it was a pretty painless process.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

I was in Greenwood NS at the time

Cool, I acutally live in Torbrook, minutes outside of Greenwood. Thanks for the help.

Thanks!

When she goes to the hospital after the medical, she'll have to go to the business office first and pay for the x-ray and the bloodwork, she'll need to show the receipts to the two different departments and tell them she needs them for a USA visa and theresults need to be sent to Dr.Doane. They are used to this. The set-up is a typical hospital -- lab techs will take her blood, x-ray techs will take her x-ray. It's fairly painless, although getting around the QEII hospital can be a bit confusing.

Dr. Doane's office is very efficient and he is very efficient, it was a pretty painless process.

THANKS VERY MUCH.

event.png

i went to Dr. Doane and here's our review.. he also got out a ruler and measured my tat.. so expect that.. he's pretty detailed.

The cost of most of the exam was covered via Blue Cross for me - so if you are covered it might be worth submitting the receipt (you have to ask for one with his address on it) for reimbursement as well! :thumbs:

I just read your review of your medical, WHAT THE HELL! I'm not comfortable with that. Why would you have to strip? I can get copies of my mammograms from the Nova Scotia Breast Screening and copy of my last pap from my family doctor. I think that's terrible. I can see the blood work, and could probably deal with the pelvic exam. But to strip, is this normal procedure. You must have been....I don't even know what to say. I have had medicals done before, height, weight, blood work, blood pressure, medical history, but never to that extreme. Blood work I woud think would tell them everything they need to know. Do you know or anyone else know if there is a standard for the Visa Medical that covers what all is done? Now I'm on a mission to find out. Thanks for the info. Take care,.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I just read your review of your medical, WHAT THE HELL! I'm not comfortable with that. Why would you have to strip? I can get copies of my mammograms from the Nova Scotia Breast Screening and copy of my last pap from my family doctor. I think that's terrible. I can see the blood work, and could probably deal with the pelvic exam. But to strip, is this normal procedure. You must have been....I don't even know what to say. I have had medicals done before, height, weight, blood work, blood pressure, medical history, but never to that extreme. Blood work I woud think would tell them everything they need to know. Do you know or anyone else know if there is a standard for the Visa Medical that covers what all is done? Now I'm on a mission to find out. Thanks for the info. Take care,.

I don't mean to freak you out.. and perhaps I was an odd duck, but I was shocked.. I TOTALLY didn't expect that - and I was completely freaked out during the exam. I didn't even shave if you get my drift! I came out of there totally humiliated, not by his lack of professionalism- cause he had that, but because my expectation was that it was just a "little medical".. IMO he's WAAAAY more over the top than many of the other Dr's that people write about here. He literally took a ruler out and measured my tattoo (on my back - i'm in the nude and he's behind me measuring.. ).. that was a little humiliating.. it was put in my medical too (the size and the type of flower). Just want to make sure you know my experience - maybe it will be different for you - but that's my experience.

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.