w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Is English the 'official language' of the U.S.?

50 posts in this topic

Timeline
that multiple states have federal election ballots in other languages.
Which is a damned shame.

Does anyone else see the BS involved in requiring the ability to speak and write English as a condition of naturalization, and then providing the associated materials in a language other than English?

Just another reason why people vote Republican - even if they are not Republicans.

I don't really mind it being in Spanish seeing as Puerto Ricans that live in the mainland can vote.

Puerto Ricans are taught English as well. Spanish and English are both official languages there, even if most don't speak it fluently or want to.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Legally (as there are no specific laws that state this), there is no "official language" for the USA (at least from what I've read). However, English is already the "unofficial most commonly used language" in the USA, and should be made the "official" because of its frequent use now and throughout history here. For those in the USA who cannot understand and have difficulty communicating in English, they should learn and improve their English. Otherwise they will have extreme difficulty living their life here, as the majority of the people in the USA communicate in the English language. It's simple, you learn English, and you can communicate clearly with everyone, using just one common language, thus making your life happier and easier here.

The bottom line, as someone else stated here on this message thread so perfectly:

This is the US of A. We speak English here. If you want to come to this country, learn our language. If I decide to live in your country someday, I will learn yours.

Ant (Happily communicating in English in the USA...)

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Legally (as there are no specific laws that state this), there is no "official language" for the USA (at least from what I've read). However, English is already the "unofficial most commonly used language" in the USA, and should be made the "official" because of its frequent use now and throughout history here. For those in the USA who cannot understand and have difficulty communicating in English, they should learn and improve their English. Otherwise they will have extreme difficulty living their life here, as the majority of the people in the USA communicate in the English language. It's simple, you learn English, and you can communicate clearly with everyone, using just one common language, thus making your life happier and easier here.

The bottom line, as someone else stated here on this message thread so perfectly:

This is the US of A. We speak English here. If you want to come to this country, learn our language. If I decide to live in your country someday, I will learn yours.

Ant (Happily communicating in English in the USA...)

We appreciate you speaking English here, instead of Canadian :devil:

I do agree with you, btw :P

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Hi Scott&Lai,

Thanks for agreeing with my previous post about learning English here in the USA.

By the way I do write/speak "Canadian English" at times (which is like "British English"). So don't be surprised if I spell words in -re, -our, grey, -ll, say "zed", use the metric system, and write the date in dd/mm/yy; instead of -er, -or, gray, -l, say "zee", use the non-metric system, and write the date in mm/dd/yy. Old habits die hard, I suppose, as I find it quite the challenge at times to translate "British/Canadian English" into "American English". Oh well, I'll learn and get used to it. After all, it's all pretty much the same "English" language right (with a few minor differences)?

Neverthless, I still believe that the "British English" system had it right before, as they were the ones that invented English and imported it here to the USA. Oh well, I'll stick with learning and using "American English" more often, as apparently that is the "un-official language" that everyone here in the USA understands (or is supposed to understand).

And (Learning and using "American English", even though prefers "British/Canadian English"...)

We appreciate you speaking English here, instead of Canadian :devil:

I do agree with you, btw :P

Edited by AntandD

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife took her driver's test in Vietnamese. Actually I think only about 45% of the applicants at our DMV do it in English.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Everyone who has posted is missing one minor point. You don't speak English.

You speak American!

The grief I get for misunderstanding basic elements in my profession because you lot can't use the correct English to describe stuff (don't get me started on "mud") is beyond belief. It may have been George Bernard Shaw, Oscar Wilde, or even Winston Churchill who said that England and America are "Two nations divided by a common language."

But back on topic, countries with more than one national language (think Belgium) tend to have an undue amount of friction between and contempt of fellow countrymen who speak a different language (although part of that could be that one half speaks French).

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Hi Pooky,

:rofl: ....Now that I think about it...we all do communicate in "American" in America.... :rofl:

I guess "English" wasn't good enough for them here. Good quote about "Two nations divided by a common language". I wonder what it was like hundreds of years ago, when the Americans were fighting with the English....Hence the beginnings of America....

Interesting example too, about Belgium having more than one national language. Funny, this reminds me of Canada, where the official languages are English and French. And boy, are there debates about that (and at one point almost led to the splitting up of the country as the French in the province of Quebec had a vote about 15yrs ago which they wanted to be out of Canada)....

Historical references aside, let's all accept that we speak/write one "unofficial" language here in America: "American".

Ant (In America, speaking/writing "American"...)

P.S. Forgot to say too, on my previous post that I also spell words in -our; instead of -or

Everyone who has posted is missing one minor point. You don't speak English.

You speak American!

The grief I get for misunderstanding basic elements in my profession because you lot can't use the correct English to describe stuff (don't get me started on "mud") is beyond belief. It may have been George Bernard Shaw, Oscar Wilde, or even Winston Churchill who said that England and America are "Two nations divided by a common language."

But back on topic, countries with more than one national language (think Belgium) tend to have an undue amount of friction between and contempt of fellow countrymen who speak a different language (although part of that could be that one half speaks French).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

vivan los Estados Unidos!!

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
My wife took her driver's test in Vietnamese. Actually I think only about 45% of the applicants at our DMV do it in English.

You know what - I'm glad that they offer the tests in foreign languages, because for driving purposes, I want to make sure that everybody who gets a license understands the test they just took. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

yes.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
You know what - I'm glad that they offer the tests in foreign languages, because for driving purposes, I want to make sure that everybody who gets a license understands the test they just took.
Oh yeah - like passing that lame test even remotely indicates that one is a competent and capable driver. As if a "driver's license" is anything more than a mechanism for tracking citizens and ensuring the young ones have difficulty buying alcohol and cigarettes. Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
Baaaaaahahahaha. :rofl: McCain on Univision? :rofl:

I love his justification of voting for the retarded border fence:

-I didn't vote for an..., I don't know what you are exactly what you are referring to.

I, er, uh.. forgot. Border fence? Wuts that? :wow:

I cut pork, but want to waste billions on a border fence. :dancing:

I swear every time that man talks he kills brain cells. Just put him in a retirement home already before he potentially gets elected and ruins the country.

:thumbs:

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
No disagreement, desert fox, but the fact is, we don't have an official language. We have a de facto language, but no official one. Which I think is kind of weird.

Once people dissociate the supremacist kind of thinking from the de facto/logical reality, making English an official language shouldn't be a problem. Problem is...

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
that multiple states have federal election ballots in other languages.
Which is a damned shame.

Does anyone else see the BS involved in requiring the ability to speak and write English as a condition of naturalization, and then providing the associated materials in a language other than English?

Just another reason why people vote Republican - even if they are not Republicans.

I don't really mind it being in Spanish seeing as Puerto Ricans that live in the mainland can vote.

Puerto Ricans are taught English as well. Spanish and English are both official languages there, even if most don't speak it fluently or want to.

An agenda pushed by the Pro-US Statehood party while in power. English was never officially declared an official language alongside Spanish on the island because it was mired in judicial proceedings as to the actual maneuvers taken to do make it so.

The case of Puerto Rico is a colonial one that makes for some very interesting arguments in that regard... but since it will never be a State of the Union, fighting for English and its official status down there is more of a political ploy rather than a matter of common sense. A majority of island Puerto Ricans can barely understand the English they 'learn,' even after 100+ years of US rule.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.