alphajon

Planning to file I-130 for my both parents - question about prrof of citizenship

3 posts in this topic

Hi I am U.S citizen now. I got the required docs. Like my birth certificate my parents marriage certificate. Now the last thing they are asking for proof that I am a U.S citizen. So according to the I-130 instructions they are saying send a copy fo the u.s citizenship ceritifcate. On the certifcate itself it saids it is illegal to make a copy. So what to do in this case?

Edited by jonathan184

Filed: Timeline
Hi I am U.S citizen now. I got the required docs. Like my birth certificate my parents marriage certificate. Now the last thing they are asking for proof that I am a U.S citizen. So according to the I-130 instructions they are saying send a copy fo the u.s citizenship ceritifcate. On the certifcate itself it saids it is illegal to make a copy. So what to do in this case?

Congratulations on your citizenship. I found some information for you on the USCIS.gov Website. Hope it helps... Also, here is the link to InfoPass where you must make an appointment so that you can take the original and copy to them so that the official can verify your identification and may certify your copy. But please read the information below that I cut and paste from the website:

http://infopass.uscis.gov/ :thumbs:

Good Luck!! :thumbs:

How Do I Obtain Certified True Copies of a Certificate of Naturalization?

When a naturalized US citizen needs to have a Certificate of Naturalization “authenticated” by the U.S. State Department for use by Foreign Governments/Embassies, USCIS can copy the document and certify it as a true copy. “Authentication” is a term used by the U.S. Department of State and other Governments to describe what USCIS refers to as Certified True Copies. When you require a Certificate of Naturalization to be authenticated, be sure to use the term "Certified True Copy."

If you have the original document to be certified, you must make an appointment with your local USCIS office by using the InfoPass Appointment Scheduler on our website. When you go to your appointment, be sure to bring your original naturalization certificate and a copy of it. Also bring another form of photo identification, such as a drivers license or passport. A USCIS officer will review the documents and may certify the copy, if the officer can confirm your identity and status as a naturalized citizen.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, will provide Certified True Copies and return these along with the supplied documentation to the requester. USCIS cannot act as an agent of the U.S. Department of State by accepting fees on behalf of other government agencies, or forwarding documentation to any other government agency. All documentation coming from a requester, along with any documentation supplied by the Department of Homeland Security, will be returned to the requester.

To obtain the services of the U.S. Department of State, Authentication Office, you should use one of the following methods:

Write to:

United States Department of State, Authentication Office

518 23rd Street, NW

Sa-1 Columbia Plaza

Washington, DC 20520

202-647-5002

Email / internet: aoprgsmauth@state.gov | http://www.state.gov/m/a/auth/

Also, here is the link to InfoPass where you must make an appointment so that you can take the original and copy to them so that the official can verify your identification and may certify your copy.

http://infopass.uscis.gov/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

You can make a copy of your US Citizen Certificate for immigration purposes. I am a naturalized US citizen and sent a copy to the USCIS with my husband's I-130 and didn't have any issues.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.