briscokid

Shame on U.s. embassy in manila

60 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hollywood has already shown filipinas the good side, everyone knows america is a paradise already, I don't see the point of showing people that yes, you can earn more money in the US, you can have a good life, your own private jet, whatever... that's already the expectation (OK, I don't think people expect their own private jet). As for seminars for american's marrying foreigners, I think awareness is plenty high already, I've heard the warning about women marrying for visa's plenty of times, nevermind the fact that one of the first things I did was look into various scams and problems I could run into when I first considered any kind of relationship with someone from another country...

If you can't understand why they focus on what they focus on in the films, take a moment to consider what it's actually like if you are in a foreign country, an emergency happens (I have no idea who to call in the philippines if say... a kid fell off a roof and no one was around), the person who you most likely rely on, your future husband, happens to be manipulative and abusive, it happens, sometimes the things you find out about people you thought you knew are down right amazing, and unfortunately even when marrying in your own country, people end up in abusive relationships, but in your own country you *should* know how to get help, in a country you've only been in a short time you may not know where to go, especially if you haven't any friends, family, or even co-workers who you can rely on for help yet. I know that in the philippines I'd be lost in a lot of situations, as a foreigner I wouldn't know what to do at all... of course, filipinas in the US probably know enough english that they aren't quite as lost as I am in the philippines... but they are also on average about 5 inches shorter, and 30-40 lbs lighter than the average female here, nevermind the guys here. Basically an abusive husband with a foreign wife is a worst case situation and I'm willing to bet that domestic abuse is not as rare as you might want to think, maybe I'm going off the rails but heck, look at the sexual offenders lists (they actually map out where they live these days) if you want a wake up call of sorts on the kind of problems that exist in america.

I can't wait for my fiance to be here in the US, but I also worry about her safety here, being victimized in any way would be pretty devastating, even though I know she'll be able to rely on me. Our own schools teach our kids all kinds of things, like don't talk to strangers, if someone touches you a certain way tell your parents, an adult whatever... should we stop showing these educational films just because you yourself aren't a kidnapper, and are insulted someone might insinuate that you possibly could be because we teach our kids not to talk to adults they don't know, including you?

As for those fees though, I have to agree, it does pretty expensive compared to what people living in the philippines actually make.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
My fiancé went to her seminar after passing the interview. We thought the seminar would tell you everything about the USA, and what to expect and how to count money or something Or about the weather or something educational and helpful. Instead they flooded her brain with discouraging stories and videos of the Filipinas that got treated bad. Stories, pics and vids of prostitution, beatings and death etc. Can you believe the embassy passed fiancé visa interviews and the couple have only known each other for a month or so.. This really pissed me off to know they do that during the seminar instead of making you feel comfortable. I mean the process is frustrating enough, and then they do that at the end of it to stress you out more. How sad is that. And you have to pay for it.

Shame on The U.S embassy in Manila

MY fiance arrived on my bday. sept 2 woohoooooo!

While it doesn't sound like it was presented in the best manner, I think it is important information to be made aware of.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hollywood has already shown filipinas the good side, everyone knows america is a paradise already, I don't see the point of showing people that yes, you can earn more money in the US, you can have a good life, your own private jet, whatever... that's already the expectation (OK, I don't think people expect their own private jet). As for seminars for american's marrying foreigners, I think awareness is plenty high already, I've heard the warning about women marrying for visa's plenty of times, nevermind the fact that one of the first things I did was look into various scams and problems I could run into when I first considered any kind of relationship with someone from another country...

If you can't understand why they focus on what they focus on in the films, take a moment to consider what it's actually like if you are in a foreign country, an emergency happens (I have no idea who to call in the philippines if say... a kid fell off a roof and no one was around), the person who you most likely rely on, your future husband, happens to be manipulative and abusive, it happens, sometimes the things you find out about people you thought you knew are down right amazing, and unfortunately even when marrying in your own country, people end up in abusive relationships, but in your own country you *should* know how to get help, in a country you've only been in a short time you may not know where to go, especially if you haven't any friends, family, or even co-workers who you can rely on for help yet. I know that in the philippines I'd be lost in a lot of situations, as a foreigner I wouldn't know what to do at all... of course, filipinas in the US probably know enough english that they aren't quite as lost as I am in the philippines... but they are also on average about 5 inches shorter, and 30-40 lbs lighter than the average female here, nevermind the guys here. Basically an abusive husband with a foreign wife is a worst case situation and I'm willing to bet that domestic abuse is not as rare as you might want to think, maybe I'm going off the rails but heck, look at the sexual offenders lists (they actually map out where they live these days) if you want a wake up call of sorts on the kind of problems that exist in america.

I can't wait for my fiance to be here in the US, but I also worry about her safety here, being victimized in any way would be pretty devastating, even though I know she'll be able to rely on me. Our own schools teach our kids all kinds of things, like don't talk to strangers, if someone touches you a certain way tell your parents, an adult whatever... should we stop showing these educational films just because you yourself aren't a kidnapper, and are insulted someone might insinuate that you possibly could be because we teach our kids not to talk to adults they don't know, including you?

As for those fees though, I have to agree, it does pretty expensive compared to what people living in the philippines actually make.

ok, I understand what you have said and I agree with you !! but from what my wife has told me. the movies seem to be a lot more to scare than to educate. maybe they are trying to use a shock factor for educational purposes. I remember years ago they had a series on tv called scared strait, it reminds me of that sort of tactic. only used for educational reasons.. anyway I wish all the foriegn women no matter where they are from, a safe and happy life with their husbands in their new enviroments

My fiancé went to her seminar after passing the interview. We thought the seminar would tell you everything about the USA, and what to expect and how to count money or something Or about the weather or something educational and helpful. Instead they flooded her brain with discouraging stories and videos of the Filipinas that got treated bad. Stories, pics and vids of prostitution, beatings and death etc. Can you believe the embassy passed fiancé visa interviews and the couple have only known each other for a month or so.. This really pissed me off to know they do that during the seminar instead of making you feel comfortable. I mean the process is frustrating enough, and then they do that at the end of it to stress you out more. How sad is that. And you have to pay for it.

Shame on The U.S embassy in Manila

MY fiance arrived on my bday. sept 2 woohoooooo!

While it doesn't sound like it was presented in the best manner, I think it is important information to be made aware of.

agreed !!!

2008-03-03 : I-130 Sent

2008-03-03 : I-130 NOA1

2008-05-08 : Touched

2008-10-16 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-03-27 : I-129F Sent

2008-03-31 : I-129F NOA1

2008-04-24 : Touched

2008-10-03 : Touched

2008-10-05 : Touched

2008-10-06 : Touched

2008-10-20 : Touched and Approved (NOA2)

2008-10-22 : NVC Receive

2008-10-24 : NVC Left

2008-10-30 : USEM Receive

2008-11-10 : Wife's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-01 : Son's Medical - PASSED

2008-12-19 : USEM Interview - PASSED

2009-01-14 : VISA RECEIVED

2009-01-25 : US Entry (JFK)

very well said!!!! :thumbs:

the highlighted part is what some people couldnt understand..

bottomline, it is so hard to be in a foreign country..

"i don't know much about love but i know that i love him.."

The title of this thread is: Shame on U.s. embassy in manila, The Seminar.

Does the U.S. Embassy have anything to do with the CFO seminar at all? I thought is was a product of the Philippine government.

Kev

Edited by kev_n_jena

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Does the U.S. Embassy have anything to do with the CFO seminar at all? I thought is was a product of the Philippine government.

Kev

See post #2 & 3 in this thread....

YMMV

Kev

:thumbs:

Edited by envy_me

I read post 2 & 3. Considering the course this discussion has taken, I'm wondering if some people didn't believe the answers. Maybe starting a new topic would be more appropriate rather than pounding away at this poor thing.

I intend no offense. I'm just trying to point out a fact. I believe many points in this discussion are valid and well worth talking about. I'd just like to see a title that reflects what's being discussed.

Kev

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Timeline

Relax... Their intentions are good for the most part. This helps educating Filipinos who will be totally alien to the life they may lead in the states. Tp avoid complications, let's just leave it at that. They mean well...

Timeline
I read post 2 & 3. Considering the course this discussion has taken, I'm wondering if some people didn't believe the answers.

I am not sure how more clear the answer can be... including but not limited to a link to the official CFO website....

YMMV

Timeline

Kev

:thumbs:

:yes:

09/28/08-green card received

1-751

07/02/10-mailed it 2day

07/06/10-they received my application forms

07/13/10-received notice receipt(gc extended for one year)

07/28/10-received biometric appointment

09/23/10 GC approved!!!

9/26/20 Gota pproval notice

10/01/10 GC receivedd

event.png

I never knew how much love my heart could hold until my son called me "MOMMY."

Timeline

I don't think a new thread is necessary, the topic is a little off but well, that happens, all threads in forums have a good chance of derailment... this one just started off the rails and maybe got put back on it.

I don't think shock tactics work that well... and a lot of PSA (public service announcements) ads seemed to do the opposite of what they were meant to do... I remember the no smoking ads, those always made me crave a cigarette.

If you search the internet you will run across many news stories similar to the examples given from the CFO seminar... and one other that is a little bit different from the gold digging/wife beating example... A man married a woman he loved, and she was literally poisoning him to death, slowly... unfortunately now I'm not 100% sure where I saw that story, and while it passed the BS filter at the time I read it... in retrospect it just sounds like a movie plot.

I don't think a new thread is necessary, the topic is a little off but well, that happens, all threads in forums have a good chance of derailment... this one just started off the rails and maybe got put back on it.

I don't think shock tactics work that well... and a lot of PSA (public service announcements) ads seemed to do the opposite of what they were meant to do... I remember the no smoking ads, those always made me crave a cigarette.

If you search the internet you will run across many news stories similar to the examples given from the CFO seminar... and one other that is a little bit different from the gold digging/wife beating example... A man married a woman he loved, and she was literally poisoning him to death, slowly... unfortunately now I'm not 100% sure where I saw that story, and while it passed the BS filter at the time I read it... in retrospect it just sounds like a movie plot.

couldnt agree more.. ;)

in fairness to CFO, they did discuss some points abt some "bad" filipinos..

abt what and how they did some bad things to other foreign spouses..

it is just that they're stressing out bad experiences of some filipinos abroad..

cos that's basically the objective of the seminar..

to guide, enlighten and open the eyes of filipinos that it is not always "good fortune" for all of us when we go to the US or other countries..

and also the films that they're showing are based/from a documentary videos abt bad experiences of filipinos abroad..

nevertheless i think most girls here who've had their cfo seminar would agree to me if i say that..

the videos are so uncomfortable to watch but it's very informative and helpful in so many ways..

Edited by envy_me

Timeline

couldnt agree more.. ;)

in fairness to CFO, they did discuss some points abt some "bad" filipinos..

abt what and how they did some bad things to other foreign spouses..

it is just that they're stressing out bad experiences of some filipinos abroad..

cos that's basically the objective of the seminar..

to guide, enlighten and open the eyes of filipinos that it is not always "good fortune" for all of us when we go to the US or other countries..

and also the films that they're showing are based/from a documentary videos abt bad experiences of filipinos abroad..

nevertheless i think most girls here who've had their cfo seminar would agree to me if i say that..

the videos are so uncomfortable to watch but it's very informative and helpful in so many ways..

i agree. at first i was reluctant about the seminar more so since i will be marrying a filipino guy as well but then the seminar is not centered on that video alone. they inform us our option if ever we get into an abusive relationship or our spouse die, they told us the stuffs that we can bring to the US among others. i also learned from CFO that you can send your US marriage certificate to the Philippine consulate so that your marriage will be registed with the NSO. the video is just an eye-opener but it does not intend to scare Filipinas who are going abroad.

"We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose" Romans 8:28

[/url]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I dont think CFO is conducted to scare us. Just like everyone else is saying, it gives us information what to do, where to go, in case of abuse, where to go in case you ran away from an abusive partner and you need a roof on your head, they give you infos about the filipino communities who can give help, they talked about - Welfare and support services available abroad;Rights of migrants overseas; and Coping up with problematic or difficult domestic situations.

Welll, the lady said, that america is not all nice food, and cars and beautiful houses, (we already have that paradise picture of america in our minds) sometimes things can turn out bad and they gave us info what to do. Not only spouses and fiances have to undergo the seminar - there's a PDOS or Pre departure orientation seminar for overseas workers.

As to the fees, i remember the lady giving us the seminar that CFO is conducted by an NGO and maybe the seminar fee is their source of funds. I am not sure though. And for the 400p sticker, I dont understand that - now that one is given by a government agency the CFO - and i dont know why it cost so much.

AOS -
08-08-08 - Filed AOS with EAD and AP
08-18-08 - NOA for EAD,AP and AOS
08-21-08 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter
09-09-08 - Biometrics Appointment 10am Kansas City
09-18-08 - I-485 transferred to CSC (got an email from USCIS)
10-07-08 - EAD Touched
10-19-08 - My birthday / Found out I am Pregnant!
10-22-08 - Grief, Pain, Sadness
11-06-08 - EAD card ordered; AP approved (USCIS website)
01-16-09 - AOS Touched
02-23-09 - Green Card (conditional) and welcome letter received in the mail
02-24-09 - Got the job in boyce and bynum lab

"When I bring my worries b4 d throne of Grace, I am at peace bcos I know my God is in full control"

My Website

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.