Saddle Bronc

Medvedev calls recent trouble with Georgia "Russia's 9-11"

22 posts in this topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7612507.stm

Georgia attack is 'Russia's 9/11'

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has described Georgia's assault on South Ossetia as Russia's 9/11.

He said the world had learnt lessons from the attacks in the US on 11 September 2001 and hoped the same would happen after events in the Caucasus.

Reports say Russian troops are showing signs of preparing to pull back from inside Georgia.

This is in line with a ceasefire deal brokered by French President Nicolas Sarkozy on Monday.

However, a Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman cast doubt on the preparations, saying: "There has been no sign of a withdrawal."

'Changed world'

Mr Medvedev was speaking to a group of foreign policy experts when he likened events in South Ossetia last month to the attacks on New York and Washington in 2001.

"Russia has zones where it has its interests. It is senseless to deny this, because we will defend our interests and the interests of Russian citizens," he said.

"The world has changed and it occurred to me that 8 August 2008 has become for Russia as 11 September 2001 for the United States. This is an accurate comparison corresponding to Russian realities.

Humankind has drawn lessons from 11 September tragedy and other tragic events. I would like the world to draw lessons also from these events [in South Ossetia]."

That's like comparing the 1939 invasion of Poland (Poland was certainly surprised in 1939, as US was in 2001) to the Battle of Midway (as Russia had plans to invade Georgia anyway, which Saakashvili's badly-timed attack gave them excuse to do--similar to US plannning to, and doing, surprise the Japanese when the latter attacked)

Russia had not sought a war, Mr Medvedev said, blaming both Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili and US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who he accused of fuelling Georgian belligerence.

But the conflict had shown that the balance of power in the world was out of date, he said, and from now on Russia would defend its interests wherever they were.

Nato membership for Georgia was completely unacceptable, he went on. But even if Georgia had been embarked on such a path, Russia would still not have hesitated to attack.

the one piece of truth in the entire speech

In terms of the future, a lot depended on how Russia was treated by the West. But Mr Medvedev played down fears that the crisis had caused a deep rift between the two, saying: "We don't need this."

Talks collapse?

Tensions have been high since Russian troops entered Georgia on 7 August, after responding to Georgian attempts to reassert its control in the breakaway region of South Ossetia.

Russia however agreed to pull back its troops from Georgia after the meeting with Mr Sarkozy, although it intends to keep its forces in South Ossetia and the other breakaway region, Abkhazia.

Moscow said it would withdraw from Georgia itself once international monitors were in place.

However, one senior Western diplomat was quoted by the Associated Press as saying talks on placing observers with the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) in South Ossetia and Abkhazia had collapsed.

The official accused Russia of stalling for time in an effort to keep the observers out of both separatist regions.

"It's become clear that Russia doesn't want any agreement. I think they're afraid of what the observers will see," the diplomat said.

Meanwhile, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said on Friday that 68,000 of an estimated 192,000 people displaced by the fighting in South Ossetia had now returned home.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

where are the czar cheerleaders at?

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

true..but it is the same type of bullshit putin and his chops were spurting out when they were with the kgb

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
What an idiot.

Georgia didn't even attack Russia. Assclowns.

Right I forgot that everything was made up by the evil communists.

:wacko:

Here is my story. I've lived problem free life, payed my taxes. One day I decided to marry this girl. But to do so would require her to come to US of A, and so it started. My problem free live turned in to free problems from USCIS! Sure things turned to unsure, certain dates turned to aproximation within months. All logical thinking was out the door, as I filed my papers withing famous Vermont Centre!

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Date Package Received By NVC : 09-05-08

-- Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill : 09-11-08

-- Pay I-864 Bill :09-11-08

-- Receive I-864 Package :09-15-08

-- Return I-864 Package :09-16-08

-- Return Completed DS-3032 :09-11-08

-- Receive IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Pay IV Bill :09-17-2008

-- Receive Instruction Package :09-17-08

-- Case Completed at NVC :10-16-08

Date Package Left From NVC :10-31-08

Date Received By Consulate :11-05-08

Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3) :11-05-08

Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4):11-25-08

Interview Date (IR-1/CR-1 Visa):12/08/08

Date IR-1/CR-1 Visa Received :12-11-08

Date of US Entry :12-17-08

What an idiot.

Right, I forgot, Abkhazia and South Ossetia include large cities in Russia..

My bad.

:rofl:

lol..i was not disappointed..............georgia =9/11 in russia.... per ILYA

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Timeline
What an idiot.

My bad.

Rofl all you want, even if we go by your logic. Georgia did attack Russian military, therefore attacking its citizens or attacking Russia themselves.

What an idiot.

My bad.

lol..i was not disappointed..............georgia =9/11 in russia.... per ILYA

No I am suppose to line up with general VJ cool cats opinion.

Here is my story. I've lived problem free life, payed my taxes. One day I decided to marry this girl. But to do so would require her to come to US of A, and so it started. My problem free live turned in to free problems from USCIS! Sure things turned to unsure, certain dates turned to aproximation within months. All logical thinking was out the door, as I filed my papers withing famous Vermont Centre!

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Timeline
What an idiot.

My bad.

Rofl all you want, even if we go by your logic. Georgia did attack Russian military, therefore attacking its citizens or attacking Russia themselves.

So Georgia's stupid attack on two independent Republics is a Russia 9/11?

Baaaaahahahahaha.

By that logic, every embassy bombing overseas that killed Americans, or any attack where American peacekeepers were at, was another 9/11.

How to hyperbole?

Abkhazia and South Ossetia are not part of Russia per treaty signed by russia under yeltsin..russia has the right of peace keepers there..and that is it....Lithuania ././the ukraine///kazakhstan all have russians there..should he invade there too? how about brighton beach?

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

Timeline
Abkhazia and South Ossetia are not part of Russia per treaty signed by russia under yeltsin..russia has the right of peace keepers there..and that is it....Lithuania ././the ukraine///kazakhstan all have russians there..should he invade there too? how about brighton beach?

Is Ukraine attacking them? No, Is Kazakhstan? No.

So these dont apply. Now to compare: Now America was attacked by a terrorist organization(And lost alot of civilian lives), but America did go after them (Afganistan/Iraq). Russia also lost 1000+ citizens there, so thats why they are looking at it the same way. I dont see how its funny?

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Timeline
What an idiot.

My bad.

So Georgia's stupid attack on two independent Republics is a Russia 9/11?

Baaaaahahahahaha.

By that logic, every embassy bombing overseas that killed Americans, or any attack where American peacekeepers were at, was another 9/11.

How to hyperbole?

Oh Hyperbole?

You just missed out a small detail, that most of civilians killed in the Georgian attack were Russian citizens.

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC

Timeline

So these dont apply. Now to compare: Now America was attacked by a terrorist organization(And lost alot of civilian lives), but America did go after them (Afganistan/Iraq). Russia also lost 1000+ citizens there, so thats why they are looking at it the same way. I dont see how its funny?

Your analogy is fail.

No Iraqis attacked America. It's very clear that the Iraq war was a scam and was planned well before 2003.

Russia is not South Ossetia or Abkhazia, and was not attacked on it's own soil by Georgia. So the 9/11 analogy fails harder.

No logical person is going to suggest that Georgia in the right by attacking the independent Republics. However, Medvedev's 9/11 insinuations are a ###### joke.

Oh Hyperbole?

You just missed out a small detail, that most of civilians killed in the Georgian attack were Russian citizens.

Hi, we wouldn't call attacks on Americans abroad 9/11, because NO AMERICANS ON FOREIGN SOIL WERE ATTACKED ON 9/11. Several American targets within the U.S. was attacked and citizens within the country were killed.

Pathetic analogies.

Edited by SRVT

Timeline

Your analogy is fail.

No Iraqis attacked America. It's very clear that the Iraq war was a scam and was planned well before 2003.

Russia is not South Ossetia or Abkhazia, and was not attacked on it's own soil by Georgia. So the 9/11 analogy fails harder.

No logical person is going to suggest that Georgia in the right by attacking the independent Republics. However, Medvedev's 9/11 insinuations are a ###### joke.

Oh Hyperbole?

Hi, we wouldn't call attacks on Americans abroad 9/11, because NO AMERICANS ON FOREIGN SOIL WERE ATTACKED ON 9/11. Several American targets within the U.S. was attacked and citizens within the country were killed.

Pathetic analogies.

Pathetic is what I would use to describe your way of thinking.

I-130 Received

12-12-07

I-130 Approved

8-28-2008

NVC