totes

Returning from Lagos Embassy

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Totes,

In the meantime, the only advise I can give you is to be sure to cover your SO in the word of prayer.

Boaz

And one should be watchfully when taking a visa out of the embassy.

No stopping, no waiting,no greeting, keeping running home!

I can not second this advice enough :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I am all that the Potter created me to be.

I celebrate, liberate and dedicate my life to His Glory.

I Am Uno!

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hiring a cab to wait for you can be as dangerous as the story narrated above.The cab obviously know where u leave after dropping u off and he can arrange these guys to come at night !. This is Nigeria we're talking about. Advice him to go and keep the passport in a bank.I don't want to scare you but I am a Nigerian.And just like some people have rightly said,this happens everywhere in the world, not just in Nigeria.I have had some bad experiences with people like that in the US too(not visa-related).The best is to continue praying to God for protection.Thank God I am not going to deal with US embassy in Nigeria for my boo visa.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Hiring a cab to wait for you can be as dangerous as the story narrated above.The cab obviously know where u leave after dropping u off and he can arrange these guys to come at night !. This is Nigeria we're talking about. Advice him to go and keep the passport in a bank.I don't want to scare you but I am a Nigerian.And just like some people have rightly said,this happens everywhere in the world, not just in Nigeria.I have had some bad experiences with people like that in the US too(not visa-related).The best is to continue praying to God for protection.Thank God I am not going to deal with US embassy in Nigeria for my boo visa.

I guess I didn't make myself clear... my suggestion was assuming that if a person hired a cab, they would hire someone they know and trust. I disagree that "this happens everywhere". Of course we have bad cops here in the US but.... they are the exception. Sure.... there are bad people everywhere but... as a general rule.... not "police officers". I have many police officer friends and I can tell you that they and 90% of them lay down their lives for us with very little pay on a daily basis. I find it absolutely ludicrous that this type of behavior from police officer's, in Nigeria or wherever, is standard and accepted!

I realize there is nothing I can do about it but....it just simply sickens me that we are so accepting of this behavior because "it's Nigeria".

I do agree that the visa should be kept in a safe place. Good point! My So's visa is in a very safe place but I'm glad you brought out that point. Something I would have never considered until our experiences. Hell, my passport is laying on my dresser, lol.

hugs,

totes

09/03/08 - Visa Approved!!!!!!!

09/10/08 - Picked up visa

09/20/08 - Arrived in the US - WHOOOOHOOOOO!

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Filed: Timeline

Im so sorry to hear that they would do such a terrible thing! I have heard that they like to bully pple over there. I have esp heard that they love making you pay them and the threats they give if you dont. Happy he was not harmed any more then what he was.

Good to know things like this as when the time comes we will know what to do or come up with a game plan.

Edited by kk_onome

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline
I believe we all know, and have discussed here, the corruption in Nigeria (many parts of Africa).

My SO picked up his visa on Wednesday along with his necessary paperwork. He had his package on him of course and was transferring from a "bike" to a bus on his way home when a police officer, apparently off duty as he was not in uniform, came up to him and asked him what was in the package. My SO told him it was just some personal paperwork. Three more police officers then approach him, they take the package from him and are looking in it. They tell him they will have to take him to the station (for what? who the hell knows). They drive him around and around punching him in his chest. He begs them not to open the envelope that has to be presented at the POE, they tell him they know. They finally tell him he will have to pay them or he will have to go to jail. They want $50.00. He doesn't have that kind of money on him so he has to call a friend to go get it and bring it to him. He gives these a__holes the $50.00, they give him his package and send him on his way.

We don't know if this off duty police officer followed him from the Embassy (my guess would be yes) or if he was just familiar with what the package looks like but it was quite obvious that he knew where my SO had just come from and that he had a visa.

Thank God, he wasn't hurt any more than he was and they didn't tamper with his paperwork!

Please, please, be very, very careful when leaving the Embassy in Lagos, especially with your visa!

hugs

totes

I am so sorry about your SO. I know exactly what you mean. Mine got "kidnapped" (we are not used to that happening here) for something stupid and had to sell his mother's tv in order to pay $300. I will pray for you and you have been through it this far, and I'm sure that you're close to the "happily ever after" ending.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

When I told my wife this story, she informed me that I shouldn't be telling my father's family any information. I am hoping that her process goes smoothly and she will be joining me next month by the grace of God... I will be keeping you all informed. :-)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Cool, she is joining you soon, i'm also waiting for my love to join me, she'll also be coming from Nigeria, with the story of attacks on the way back from the Embassy, nothing will make me change my mind on attending her interview as i planned, good luck once again :thumbs:

Edited by kenny+Ugochi

June 26..........Sent I-129F to VSC

June 28..........Received @ VSC

Aug 09.......... Packet sent back b'cos of poor written check

Aug 11...........Resent packet to VSC

Aug 12...........Package deliverd and signed for by P. Novak

Aug 14...........NOA1

Aug 18...........Check cashed...(Pheeeeew)

Aug 19...........Touched!

Aug 20...........NOA1 Hard copy

Dec 01...........Touched (due to my change of address)

JAN 06 2009...NOA2 ( case approved ) wooohhhhhhoooooo!!!!!!!

JAN 07 2009...Touched!

JAN 08 2009...NVC Recieved Case( we got our case number)

JAN 10 2009...NOA2 Hardcopy Recieved

JAN 12 2009...NVC Forwarded case to NIgeria(confirmed over the phone)

JAN 14 2009...NVC Hardcopy mail recieved

JAN 26 2009...Fiancee received Packets 3 & 4

JAN 28 2009...Started Police Report

JAN 29 2009...Started Medical Exams

MAR 01 2009...I will be flying to Nigeria to be with my Angel at interview

MAR 04 2009...Interview.(WE ARE NOT WORRIED BECAUSE GOD IS IN CONTROL.....YAY)

MAR 28 2009...Returning to the USA with wife-to-be.

MAR 29 2009...POE (IAH) Intercontinental Airport Houston (2nd day arrival )

APR 10 2009....Our Glorious Wedding (Good Friday, How cool uh?)

When he says yes, nobody says no, believe in him my Lord is able..............

10760.gif

11563.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.