totes

Returning from Lagos Embassy

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I believe we all know, and have discussed here, the corruption in Nigeria (many parts of Africa).

My SO picked up his visa on Wednesday along with his necessary paperwork. He had his package on him of course and was transferring from a "bike" to a bus on his way home when a police officer, apparently off duty as he was not in uniform, came up to him and asked him what was in the package. My SO told him it was just some personal paperwork. Three more police officers then approach him, they take the package from him and are looking in it. They tell him they will have to take him to the station (for what? who the hell knows). They drive him around and around punching him in his chest. He begs them not to open the envelope that has to be presented at the POE, they tell him they know. They finally tell him he will have to pay them or he will have to go to jail. They want $50.00. He doesn't have that kind of money on him so he has to call a friend to go get it and bring it to him. He gives these a__holes the $50.00, they give him his package and send him on his way.

We don't know if this off duty police officer followed him from the Embassy (my guess would be yes) or if he was just familiar with what the package looks like but it was quite obvious that he knew where my SO had just come from and that he had a visa.

Thank God, he wasn't hurt any more than he was and they didn't tamper with his paperwork!

Please, please, be very, very careful when leaving the Embassy in Lagos, especially with your visa!

hugs

totes

09/03/08 - Visa Approved!!!!!!!

09/10/08 - Picked up visa

09/20/08 - Arrived in the US - WHOOOOHOOOOO!

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Filed: Timeline

That just sickens me...what digusting behavior.

********************************************************************************

....when it hurts to look back and you're scared to look ahead LOOK beside you and I'll be there.....

There comes a point in your life when you realize who matters, who never did, who won't anymore... and who always will.

So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

6002239865101_1_27247687.jpg (cost of the IMMIGRATION PROCESS)

tep aff a mi name

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

HELLO,

IT WAS VERY SAD THAT THE UGLY INCIDENT HAPPEN TO YOUR SO,I CAN NOT DENIED THAT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN BUT THANKS GOD THAT THE PAPER DOES NOT OPEN..... SO IT IS WARNING FOR THOSE PEOPLE THAT ARE GOING TO EMBASSY TO BE CAREFUL AND WATCHFUL TOO. NIGERIA POLICE ARE FULL OF CORRUPTION. I WISH YOUR SO SAFETY TRIP TO STATES.

Filed: Other Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Totes,

Sorry for your troubles. I am glad he was not seriously injured.

Unfortunately, these types of situations happens all over. I have a relative who is married to a Cameroonian. Her sister-in-law was in the process of visiting the USA. Guess what happened to her after she left the embassy!?!??! She was robbed! No money was taken, all they wanted was her 'brown' envelope. It sickens me to think that people would stoop to such low levels. Especially when it concerns a female. Guess trouble is all around us.

In the meantime, the only advise I can give you is to be sure to cover your SO in the word of prayer.

Boaz

ALL things work TOGETHER for GOOD!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thank goodness they did not open the envelope. That would have been another headache for your SO to fix.

This kind of behavior is just deplorable. Your fiance must has a good head on his shoulders to be clam in that kind of situation and not react. I can see why people do not want to tell others when they are going through this visa process.

(F)

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Timeline

So sorry for the misfortune. i am not proud to know that this kind of things happen to us on daily basis in nigeria. police believe they have power over common people, and use payment as means to show continued control. also one needs to be careful when leaving banks, as they are known to follow people expecting they have cash on them. good to know he is ok. Best wishes

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Wow! He probably was followed from the embassy. Incredible! Keep praying to get him safely home to you.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sorry about the incident.

This is really absurd of the attackers. I am so shocked by this revelation.

It is a call for those that are yet to get their visa not to tell anyone untill the visa gets home.

And one should be watchfully when taking a visa out of the embassy.

No stopping, no waiting,no greeting, keeping running home!

I believe we all know, and have discussed here, the corruption in Nigeria (many parts of Africa).

My SO picked up his visa on Wednesday along with his necessary paperwork. He had his package on him of course and was transferring from a "bike" to a bus on his way home when a police officer, apparently off duty as he was not in uniform, came up to him and asked him what was in the package. My SO told him it was just some personal paperwork. Three more police officers then approach him, they take the package from him and are looking in it. They tell him they will have to take him to the station (for what? who the hell knows). They drive him around and around punching him in his chest. He begs them not to open the envelope that has to be presented at the POE, they tell him they know. They finally tell him he will have to pay them or he will have to go to jail. They want $50.00. He doesn't have that kind of money on him so he has to call a friend to go get it and bring it to him. He gives these a__holes the $50.00, they give him his package and send him on his way.

We don't know if this off duty police officer followed him from the Embassy (my guess would be yes) or if he was just familiar with what the package looks like but it was quite obvious that he knew where my SO had just come from and that he had a visa.

Thank God, he wasn't hurt any more than he was and they didn't tamper with his paperwork!

Please, please, be very, very careful when leaving the Embassy in Lagos, especially with your visa!

hugs

totes

Timeline

WOW..I AM SORRY TO HEAR THE STORY BUT GRATEFUL THEY DID NOT OPEN THE ENVELOPE!! MY QUESTION IS...SINCE I HAVEN'T REACHED THAT STAGE YET; WHAT IS IN THE ENVELOPE AND WHY CAN IT NOT BE OPENED?

Chioma & Queena

Dec 23, 2008--- Met in Nigeria

Jan 1, 2008----Engagement Day

April 14, 2008----K-1 Packet mailed (VSC)

July 9,2008----NOA-2 Approved

Oct. 16,2008----Medical exam

Dec. 15,2008---Interview Approved(Thanks GOD)

Dec. 22,2008---Visa Recieved( Thanks GOD

Jan 13, 2008----Arrive in Atlanta POE

January 15, 2009--Apply for SSN Number

Jan. 23, 2009---Married

March 2 2008----Received SSN card

March 14, 2009---Got Driver's License

AOS TIMELINE

Mar. 30, 2009: AOS/EAD/AP filled

April 7, 2009 - EAD,AP and AOS NOA notice date

April 10, 2009 - received NOA1 hardcopy for EAD,AP and AOS

April 13, 2009- received Biometrics appt scheduled April 25, 2009

April 14, 2009-Biometrics walk-in done!

April 14, 2009-Called USCIS for AP to be expedited.

April 16, 2009-AP approved YES!!

April 24, 2009-EAD Card Received!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sorry, about what happen. Beyond crazi :angry:

Hope all is well now. God Bless you and your SO.

Ayomide

Olugbenga & Ayomide

mybanner48b751b841e70vl7.jpg

NVC Timeline:

2008-20-08 NVC Package Received

2008-26-08 AOS Fee Paid Online

2008-29-08 AOS Posted PAID Status

2008-30-08 D3032 Sent via E-mail

2008-30-08 Auto Respone from NVC via E-mail

2008-01-09 Mailed Signed Hardcopy D3032 with tracking#

2008-04-09 NVC Received D3032(pending system input)

2008-08-09 NVC Live Operator confirmed D3032 updated in computer

2008-08-09 NVC Paid IV Fee($400.00)- Online- Status IN PROCESS. :)

2008-09-09 NVC IV FEE Paid (wow quick :)

2008-09-28 NVC I-864 Process Completed

2008-11-04 NVC Received DS-230 Package

2008-11-12 NVC Live Operator Confirmed Our Case is Completed :) Pending Interview Date :)

(Our submission was delayed because my husband applied for the New Nigerian Passport so we needed to wait for his new passport. All is well now ;)

2008-12-05 Received Interview Package

2008-12-24 Husband received Interview Package in Nigeria from NVC :)

2009-01-16 Medical Completed

2009-01-20 Interview Appointment - Visa Approved:) President Obama Inauguration Day:)

2009-01-27 It's Official VISA IN HAND!!! :) My Husband is coming home! :)

2009-02-10 POE LAX :) No problems smooth process. We thank God ;)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Oh, I am so very sorry that this happened. I am thankful that he is ok, but so sorry that he had to go through such an ordeal.

My ex lived in Lagos and was robbed in an almost identical way, but it was not visa related. He just stayed calm and let the vandals do what they wanted, because they were armed. But there is good and bad everywhere.

I know that it is not pleasant for you either, being thousands of miles away from him, only wanting to comfort him.

God be with you both, and IT'S ALMOST OVER....Your love is on his way home to you.

Edited by stevi1123

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

Timeline

Thanks for all of your concern, we really do appreciate it!

I really just wanted to warn those who will be getting their visa's (as I know it will be many and of course very soon!).

Fortunately... Tony is the the calm one of the two of us (he keeps me sane, lol) and handled the situation very, very well. Of course when I told him how awesome I thought he was, all he could say was "it wasn't me, it was God". As I type that.... I'm thinking how lucky I am to have found such an amazing man.

We have his flight booked, I won't be posting the date until he gets here, for the obvious reasons.

He has been so very careful and has only told his family and his closest childhood friend that we were doing the visa and thank God for that! I think it's very sad that he cannot share his happiness with all of his friends and family but... I have a very good friend who is married to a Nigerian, he is still in Nigeria (they are going thru the process now), she has made many trips over there and after their very public wedding, once she left, he was being harrassed on a regular basis by family, friends and strangers so we learned from that.

What I recommend for anyone going to pick up their visa in Lagos is to either have a friend pick you/your SO up if you know someone with a car, if not, spend the money to hire a cab to wait for you and go directly to your final destination to secure your visa. My SO did have his closest friend go with him (he has a car) to the first interview for this very reason but this time his friend was not available. It would be well worth the money to hire a driver to wait for you in my opinion. Tony could have so very easily lost his visa to these corrupt bastards. I've often wondered how visa's are being sold over there..... NOW I KNOW!!!!

Thank you God is all I can say!

hugs,

totes

09/03/08 - Visa Approved!!!!!!!

09/10/08 - Picked up visa

09/20/08 - Arrived in the US - WHOOOOHOOOOO!

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

OH-MY-GOODNESS, that is horrible, I am sorry that your SO had to go thru that. Hearing things like this breaks my heart.

To Blessed to be stressed:) I realize that all things have a purpose and a time.....have faith and the Lord Almighty will provide... when the time is right, he NEVER fails!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.