MrsCat

Mac and cheese study reveals Canada's social inequality

51 posts in this topic

Interesting article. KD is not the same as Mac & Cheese however. Different cheese mixes make KD unique. Many people have powdered milk in their homes..or so I thought. It can help stretch regular milk, I use it in some bread machine recipes where it specifically calls for it. I've NEVER used milk in KD. I don't like milky KD! A little bit of margarine, or butter, is enough to moisten it for the cheese.

Another very interesting piece of this article is the whole term KD. KD is unique to Kraft Dinner. It's not generic macaroni and cheese. This article frequently refers to "KD". I've never known any lower income families that bought KD. It was, and is too expensive.

I also know personally hundreds of people that have used the food bank, and they've never ever critiqued the food from the food bank. They are thankful for anything they're given.

carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

First of all... this thread is making me hungry. :lol:

It is sad that it really is more expensive to eat healthy. My partner is from a very poor region of the US and he talks about this all the time and how folks down there really don't know any other way but to eat unhealthy foods. It turns into generations and generations of poor quality nutrition stacked upon health problems.

Our teeny timeline:

Jan 23 '08 ~ met online

Mar '08 ~ 1st visit to Vancouver

May '08 ~ 2nd visit to Vancouver

Jun 08 ~ plans to move to the west coast!

Aug 8 08 ~ he moves to Bellingham

current ~ many trips back and forth across the border...

And poor nutrition inhibits not just physical health, but mental health and brain power.

SpiritAlight edits due to extreme lack of typing abilities. :)

You will do foolish things.

Do them with enthusiasm!!

Don't just do something. Sit there.

K1: Flew to the U.S. of A. – January 9th, 2008 (HELLO CHI-TOWN!!! I'm here.)

Tied the knot (legal ceremony, part one) – January 26th, 2008 (kinda spontaneous)

AOS: Mailed V-Day; received February 15th, 2007 – phew!

I-485 application transferred to CSC – March 12th, 2008

Travel/Work approval notices via email – April 23rd, 2008

Green card/residency card: email notice of approval – August 28th, 2008 yippeeeee!!!

Funny-looking card arrives – September 6th, 2008 :)

Mailed request to remove conditions – July 7, 2010

Landed permanent resident approved – August 23rd, 2010

Second funny looking card arrives – August 31st, 2010

Over & out, Spirit

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know about buying it now because people are broke/right befor payday... we took a trip up to manitoba a few weeks ago a small town north of winnipeg and the sobeys there was charging 1.48 a box WOW ....I asked the manager if they were putting gold specks in there now and told him someone should call crime stoppers that it is robbery what they are charging.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't know about buying it now because people are broke/right befor payday... we took a trip up to manitoba a few weeks ago a small town north of winnipeg and the sobeys there was charging 1.48 a box WOW ....I asked the manager if they were putting gold specks in there now and told him someone should call crime stoppers that it is robbery what they are charging.

good on ya! :thumbs:

Filed: Other Timeline

I've got some homemade mac n cheese baking in the oven right now :D I put bits of hotdog and cauliflower in it. Its very yummy :yes:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hmmmm haven't bought milk in a very long time, so i'm glad to know we're saving money by buying rice milk etc (i've seen it as cheap as 1$ a box here - on sale)..

You know it's true.. i remember reading an article about bread because it was so expensive - the food banks are just not getting donations of loaves of bread anymore so they are rationing people on PEI to one loaf a month (per family)? :blink: we probably ate a loaf every 2-3 days when I was young (toast, sandwiches etc). HOW do these families survive?

We do okay with our food budget and next winter we are going to sign up for share in a garden co-op... you buy a share (it will be split with another couple here w/out kiddies) and they bring you fresh veggies all summer long.. that sounds like a beautiful idea to me :)

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
We make our own bread. Its a lot cheaper, and a lot yummier :yes:

Yep...that's what we do too. I go a step further and grind my own wheat. I get teased about it (was called a hippie - hehehe) but I don't care. It's the best tasting bread ever! Of course, it doesn't have preservatives in it so you have to eat it rather quickly...but it never lasts long around here anyway. :D

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
We make our own bread. Its a lot cheaper, and a lot yummier :yes:

Yep...that's what we do too. I go a step further and grind my own wheat. I get teased about it (was called a hippie - hehehe) but I don't care. It's the best tasting bread ever! Of course, it doesn't have preservatives in it so you have to eat it rather quickly...but it never lasts long around here anyway. :D

US TOO! Well my husband does it all, he's the bread king, my bread kind of turns out more like a deadly weapon, its hard as a rock. :lol:

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: Other Timeline

Its real easy in the machine. Just toss in the ingredients, walk away for 3 hours and 15 minutes and BEEP you have bread! :yes:

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Its real easy in the machine. Just toss in the ingredients, walk away for 3 hours and 15 minutes and BEEP you have bread! :yes:

yeah but I don't really like the texture of the bread after I bake it in my machine (I think it might be my machine though, the cycle is too long I think...).. so i usually just make the dough in the machine and then pop it into a pan and let it rise and bake in the oven... I think the bread comes out more fluffy if you bake it in the oven...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Timeline

It took me 10 years or so to figure out what the hell "Kraft Dinner" was..... lol

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.