MrsCat

Montreal Interview Review ~ CR-1 ~ Approved

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I stayed at the Delta Centre-Ville. About a 10 minute walk to the consulate - would definitely stay there again - just for the poutine :P

I arrived at the consulate around 6:50am. No one else in line at that point. As said by Mr. Trailmix, I stood beside the left side of the door (since this is where they like the line to start). A few minutes later a couple walked up - the Hoskins - he was from Sarasota FL, she was from Toronto. A few minutes later - Abby of the theWhites arrived. We chatted.

Consulate doors opened at 7:30 sharp. First guard asked for my interview letter and passport. Walked to second guard, and placed all my objects in a scanning bucket. Walked through the metal detector. He clipped letter B to my interview letter. Proceeded downstairs to wait for elevator.

FYI - seems that cellphones and bags are okay, even though the notice on the door says no to both. People checked their cellphones with the guards. People were all over the 19th floor with bags and purses. However, since I had no metal, no bags, no cell phone (a well prepared VJer), I was first through security. It was a race in my mind - probably to no one else though. :lol:

The three of us who were in line - chatted downstairs while waiting for the elevator. There is a photo booth to the left (I guess in case you forgot to get pictures done, bring $4). In retrospect Abby, the Hoskins and I should have piled in there just for laughs to commemorate the day.

I asked anyone if they had used an immigration forum - and Abby said yes she used VJ. So we chatted about that. We exchanged handles so we could look each other up once we were done.

7:45 sharp, the elevator doors opened and security guard three asked for letters A-E. We got into the elevator - up to the 19th floor. Once at the top - he asked for our letters (A-E) - so we all unclipped the letters from our interview letters. Don't do that - he wants the letters (A-E) connected to the interview letter. Hand him the interview letter with A-E attached. We were excited okay . . . . ;)

We were taken to the room with booths 9-13 (maybe its 14) - sat there. Lady came in a few minutes later and said we were waiting in the wrong area and to wait outside. Hmmmmmmm . . . . . so we sat eagerly waiting in the large waiting area.

Around 8:15 or so I was called to booths 10 to review our paperwork and xpresspost mailer. She was happy because she said - everything was perfect and in order even the envelope - props to VJ for preparing their disciples. :thumbs:

Went back outside - waited for fingerprinting. At 9:05 asked to come to booth 10 for fingerprinting. Right hand first, left then, thumbs. No sweaty hands or palms amazingly.

Waiting anxiously again in waiting room. 9:30 called for interview with gentleman in room 8. He said - don't bother sitting this won't take very long. I raised my right hand and swore that everything submitted was true. Signed the DS-230 on the line.

He asked how we met, what I was planning on doing for work. He said I was exceptionally healthy according to the medical - to which I answered - well good, I'm glad the medical is in order because that doctor was a real unprofessional jerk-off. The words escaped my mouth long before I could stop myself. Me and my big f-ing mouth. I'm incapable of shutting it sometimes. I'm thinking - way to go Lepine - this interview is going in the toilet. :bonk:

He smiled and laughed and looked at the panel physician's name and said - yes we've had a lot of complaints about Dr. Viljoen, and lets just say he won't be doing our medicals for very much longer. He doesn't make us very happy either. That made me giggle. :lol:

He said our finances were fine. He asked if we lived in a house or apartment, had I seen the place yet? Had I ever been denied entry or had problems at the border? I re-described my I hate wilted lettuce story, and how I wasn't denied but strongly recommended to bring supporting documents next time through. He just smiled and didn't say anything.

I asked how he like Montreal - where else he's been stationed (Paris and Rome), plans for the longer weekend? He was going back to the US for the weekend.

He said you're approved - good luck - you'll get your visa in a few days. He explained the difference between CR-1 and IR-1. That was about it. I said thank you and skipped on out of there. He suggested keeping the chest x-ray just in case your doctor wants to compare results in a few years to see if there are any changes. Other than that chest x-ray can go in the poubelle.

We were done in 10 minutes. He didn't ask to look at any documentation, pictures etc. He gave me back all of my originals.

At best I can say, talking with this gentleman was like catching up with an old friend and highlighting the past few years. It wasn't uncomfortable in the least. He was very nice and quite funny - not at all stuffy.

I was out the consulate door by 9:40 am.

Flames: I would like to confirm that the elevator door does in deed open to the rear :)

Called hubby - skipped all the way back to hotel. Updated quickly on VJ. Flew home later that evening. Greeted home with a very snuggly ThomasJ.

Timeline
Congratulations!!!!!!! When do you leave for Hawaii?

We're driving to Seattle on September 22. Putting the car on the barge on the 23nd. And off to HI on 24th. :D

Just before the snow starts!

Filed: Timeline

We're driving to Seattle on September 22. Putting the car on the barge on the 23nd. And off to HI on 24th. :D

Ha ha. My cousins just moved back to BC from Edmonton. To the island. They managed to escape before the snow flew, also. Their house has been on the market for a couple of months, though. (Beautiful house. I'd buy it if it wasn't in Edmonton.) Apparently it's a slow market. Don't know why. :hehe:

iagree.gif

Timeline

Ha ha. My cousins just moved back to BC from Edmonton. To the island. They managed to escape before the snow flew, also. Their house has been on the market for a couple of months, though. (Beautiful house. I'd buy it if it wasn't in Edmonton.) Apparently it's a slow market. Don't know why. :hehe:

We're all gettin' outta dodge!

I think housing market is slow right now because of the volume of homes on the market. Huge increase in housing prices the last 2 years, so many people flooded the market with flips last year and saturated the market. So now these homes are just sitting waiting for people to buy. Sorry to hear that for them. Selling property right now sucks in Edmonton - cause there are so many houses available.

Filed: Timeline
I think housing market is slow right now because of the volume of homes on the market. Huge increase in housing prices the last 2 years, so many people flooded the market with flips last year and saturated the market. So now these homes are just sitting waiting for people to buy. Sorry to hear that for them. Selling property right now sucks in Edmonton - cause there are so many houses available.

Yeah. Kinda like here in Florida. :angry:

iagree.gif

Timeline

No need to confirm the elevator, I was there in 2004,lol A+ Congrats!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey, congratulations - and happy move!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Yeah. Kinda like here in Florida. :angry:

Congrats Catt!! :thumbs: Great review too.

Yes the housing market in Calgary is slow too, no surprise there. My Sister's house has been sitting on the market since May I think it is - that in itself is not so strange, what is strange is that no one is even coming to look at it.

Timeline

The market in Calgary has slowed down a lot! When i was there last yr. I was was sold just like that. When iwas back there this yr, there were a fair # of houses for sale, and had been for awhile

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
The market in Calgary has slowed down a lot! When i was there last yr. I was was sold just like that. When iwas back there this yr, there were a fair # of houses for sale, and had been for awhile

As a non-homeowner, I can say that one of the biggest decisions for Chris and I last year to move to Hawaii was housing prices. As amazing as that sounds, it was far cheaper for Chris and I to afford a decent sized home in Hawaii than Edmonton. I mean homes that were $130,000 five years ago skyrocketed to $450,000. This was such a deterrent from buying. Price have come down considerably (30,000-50,000) in the past few months, but they're still really expensive for a first time buyer.

However, I do have a few friends selling their condos which have been on the market since January. I feel bad for them - cause they had been certain to make a lot of money, but the market dropped suddenly and now they've had to rent the places to ensure that they don't lose in the end. Very few showings as well Trailmix.

It's not easy that's for sure.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.