ebonyqueen

effect of husbands brother applying for student visa

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Just looking for information from anyone who has experienced or successfully been able to have a student visa granted for a foreign family member. We understand a student visa is a whole other process involving the school of choice etc..But since my husband is still pending AOS...will it help or hinder either process (the AOS or student visa) since I am still sponsering my husband under the K3? (if his brother comes to live with us while attending school)

Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Peace, Love and Happiness,

Ebony

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
Just looking for information from anyone who has experienced or successfully been able to have a student visa granted for a foreign family member. We understand a student visa is a whole other process involving the school of choice etc..But since my husband is still pending AOS...will it help or hinder either process (the AOS or student visa) since I am still sponsering my husband under the K3? (if his brother comes to live with us while attending school)

Any info or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Peace, Love and Happiness,

Ebony

I'd say give it a try. Sponsoring a student, who is not seeking to remain in the US as an immigrant, is less demanding than sponsoring a fiance or spouse who intends to remain here. A non-immigrant cannot qualify for any federal benefits and thus will never be a "publc charge." The question is, can you afford the cost for his brother? Only you know the answer to that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The student / sponsor is responsible to pay out of state tuition, and though you can get a student visa for a city / community college, it is more difficult coming from Nigeria; and people generally opt to attend a college / university. As we all know tuition can cost from 5,000 to 50,000 a year depending on school. Also most international students do not qualify for academic scholarships primarily athletic scholarships and usually not full scholarships. The question is do you and brother have the means to sponsor. Another thing international students are no allowed to work off campus jobs and only can work part-time hours in a work study program.

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

F1 is a non mmigrant visa so having a Brother he would be living with would not help.

He needs to show sufficient funds to pay for his course etc, not sponsorship as such.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.