newUSC

Bringing 20 yrs old brother to US?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hi,

I just become USC and plan to sponsor my parents and my 20 yrs old brother to the US (application for each).

I heard that my parents will come to US between 9 months - 15 months after I submit the application.

The question is: is my brother status similar to my parents, i.e. he would be able to come along with my parents (9 months - 15 months) or he will have to come much later since this is a sibbling sponsorship?

My parents need to be sure in order to prepare leaving behind my younger brother.

Please advise. Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Hi,

I just become USC and plan to sponsor my parents and my 20 yrs old brother to the US (application for each).

I heard that my parents will come to US between 9 months - 15 months after I submit the application.

The question is: is my brother status similar to my parents, i.e. he would be able to come along with my parents (9 months - 15 months) or he will have to come much later since this is a sibbling sponsorship?

My parents need to be sure in order to prepare leaving behind my younger brother.

Please advise. Thanks.

I'm interested to know because I have a similar situation. Have you heard anything about this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Your Brother is in F4 Category, long long wait.

Been discussed endlessy, see other threads.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hi,

Please advise. Thanks.

At the interview in the future your parents said noboby take care of your brother. He may have a chance coming the usa with your parents but he has to wait for 10 years to apply green card. Go ahead and apply asap. Time never wait for us. My sister in law like your brother. She has been in the usa for over 12 years .Good luck.

Timeline
Hi,

Please advise. Thanks.

At the interview in the future your parents said noboby take care of your brother. He may have a chance coming the usa with your parents but he has to wait for 10 years to apply green card. Go ahead and apply asap. Time never wait for us. My sister in law like your brother. She has been in the usa for over 12 years .Good luck.

Nope, needs a visa number.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

Needs a visa number that generally takes around 3 to 5 years to be available. Best and fastest way is to bring your parents and once they have the citizenship they request him: that visa number generally takes a year and a half.

Don't let the choices chose you, chose the choices that you want.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

The question is: is my brother status similar to my parents, i.e. he would be able to come along with my parents (9 months - 15 months) or he will have to come much later since this is a sibbling sponsorship?My parents need to be sure in order to prepare leaving behind my younger brother.

Please advise. Thanks.

YES, he has to wait longer since he's on a different category. waiting time for petitioning a brother/sister take YEARS (and i'm not saying 2,3 or even 5 years) we're looking at an average of 8-10years. but the waiting time (and availability of visa number) depends on what country you are from. see www.travel.state.gov and check the current cases (country specific) being process in this visa category to give you a rough time estimate as to when your brother can acquire a visa if you petition him (through I-130).

this happened to my uncle. his brother petitioned him last 1997 (brother of a USC). until now, NO visa available. the current cases being processed in PI is still 1986 petitions. see what i mean? but then again, it's a case to case basis and country specific...

Needs a visa number that generally takes around 3 to 5 years to be available. Best and fastest way is to bring your parents and once they have the citizenship they request him: that visa number generally takes a year and a half.

this is a fine suggestion.

petition your parents and when they arrive in US, let them acquire US citizenship. after which, they can petition your brother..i guess thats the ONLY fastest way to bring him to the US.

Yup, i have a friend from the UK and it took 11 months to get her parents here. Over 8 years has passed since then and her sister still hasn't been issued a visa number.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Your brother has a long wait.

You petitioned your parents in the Immediate Relative category. Your parents are the beneficiaries and there is no derivative beneficiary in that category. That means your brother will not be able to receive a visa at this time.

As a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR - greencard holder), your parents will be able to petition for your brother. Your brother will be classified in the F2a category, spouse and children of LPR. The current priority date is January 1, 2004. So there is about a wait of almost 5 years. If your brother turns 21 years old before his priority date becomes current, he will age out and be reclassified to the F2b category. There is a wait of 8-9 years.

If your either of your parent becomes a US citizen in 5 years, your brother's application would be reclassified into the F1 category, USC petition for unmarried children. The current wait is about 6-7 years.

The wait becomes longer if your brother was to get married.

Best of luck.

Nguoi Viet

Timeline

Hi,

On a separte post, others said that my parents will receive their Green Card shortly after arriving in the USA...Then they can file I-130 for my brother as their unmarried son (Bringing family members of Lawful Permanent Resident). My parents don't have to wait til they become US citizens.

Is this correct?

Timeline

Hi,

According to all the help/advices from this post, here is what I understand:

My parents would be IR-5 (parents of US citizen) and my brother would be F4 (brother of 21 yrs or older US Citizen).

From earlier advice, someone mentioned about using CSPA so that my brother could go to USA along with my parents because he is currently 19 years old (corrected).

Is this correct? Please advise. thanks.

Timeline
Hi,

My parents would be IR-5 (parents of US citizen) and my brother would be F4 (brother of 21 yrs or older US Citizen).

From earlier advice, someone mentioned about using CSPA so that my brother could go to USA along with my parents because he is currently 19 years old (corrected).

Brother can be of any age. Not 21 or over.

CSPA would not apply in this case as far as I know, he will be nearer 30 when he is eligible through your sponsorship.

But if his Parents immigrate then they can also sponsor him, no harm in having 2 applications running. Good insurance.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Hi,

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

CSPA will not help your brother because you as the USC petitioned for your parents in the Immediate Relative category. There is no derivative beneficiaries in this category which means your brother cannot get a visa through this category. Doesn't matter that's he's 19 years old. He can be 5 days old and it wouldn't matter. CSPA helps those in the F1 - F4 categories. (No. Your parents cannot be classified in the F1 - F4 categories)

You can file an I-130 for your brother in the F4 category. The current priority date is Oct 22, 1997. So there is a 11-12 years wait.

Once your parents are green-card holders (in 1-2 years), they can file a 2nd application for your brother in the F2 category. By the time a visa is available, your brother would be in the F2b category. The current priority date is Dec. 15, 1999. Assuming that it takes 2 years for your parents to come over, the wait would still be 11-12 years.

However, if your parents become US citizens, their applications for your brother would be upgraded to the F1 category (USC petition for unmarried son). The current priority date is April 15, 2002. So the total wait time is 8 years.

Remember that "the petition dies when the petitioner dies." So you can have concurrent applications going for your brother. One by you in the F4 category and an additional one or two by your parents. It's so tragic when a family relies on one application even though there are several qualified petitioners.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.