Ggreen

Mccain's VP.

186 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Previously, I’d seen John McCain’s VP pick as a no-win situation. He couldn’t pick Joe Lieberman because he’s Jewish and pro-choice (angering evangelicals), couldn’t pick Mitt Romney because he’s Mormon (angering evangelicals), and couldn’t pick Mike Huckabee since he’s a religious fundamentalist (angering independents). Seemed like Tim Pawlenty would be a safe, boring choice that wouldn’t excite anyone, especially since no one knows who he is.

But McCain’s choice of Alaska’s Sarah Palin shows that, by attempting to think outside the box, McCain has found a previously undiscovered way to lose a no-win situation. Seriously, choosing Palin is utterly ridiculous. Here are just a few reasons that I thought of without really trying:

1. Completely undercuts one of McCain’s main arguments against Barack Obama — that Obama lacks the experience to be president. If Obama isn’t experienced enough, what the hell is Palin? Should be hilarious to watch McCain and the republicans try to answer that one.

2. Introduces an issue that has not gotten nearly as much attention as it should — McCain’s age and health. It’s clear that McCain’s brain is already deteriorating, and with his advanced age, Palin is less than a heartbeat away from being president — it’s more like a half beat. Does anyone, including republicans, feel secure with the prospect of president Palin?

3. Alaska is already a republican state. No votes to pick up there.

4. McCain’s pick shows that he has essentially bought his own propaganda, believing that there are scads of Hillary Clinton supporters who won’t back Obama and need a reason to vote for McCain. While McCain and the corporate media spent all week talking about this phantom demographic, I think there are only a tiny number of such women who were given a disproportionately loud voice by the McCain campaign and the media trying to stir up trouble. If there are such women, my guess is that they were mostly disgusted republicans who were willing to cross party lines to see a woman become president. If there were any more, Hillary’s strong statements at the DNC will have left no doubt what supporting Hillary really means — voting with the democrats.

5. This is sure to infuriate the very powerful sexist wing of the republican party. I can’t imagine Rush Limbaugh supporting a woman president of any party.

6. Palin is in the middle of an investigation over whether she used her influence to get her former brother-in-law, State Trooper Mike Wooten, fired. When Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan refused to fire Wooten, Monegan was suddenly fired. Palin and her administration forcefully claimed they had nothing to do with it, but they had to reverse that stance when a tape surfaced of a call with one of her staff saying that Palin wanted Wooten fired. Firing dedicated public servants (a state trooper, no less), for political/personal reasons? DOJ attorney scandal, anyone?

7. Soon to be a YouTube sensation, Palin said in a CNBC interview that she doesn’t want to entertain the notion of being vice president until “someone answers for me what is it exactly the VP does everyday?” Why can’t she find out for herself? Don’t they have books and the internet in Alaska? If someone said I might be chosen as VP, I would find out myself what the VP does, not wait for someone to explain it to me. Maybe, like McCain and Bush, Palin is still learning how to use “a Google”.

8. Palin was the chairwoman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which “oversees oil and gas drilling, development and production, reservoir depletion and metering operations on all lands subject to the state's police powers”. Just the change America needs — another VP looking to enrich the oil industry. Totally undercuts McCain’s claim that he bucks the repubs by being more green and is not in the pocket of Big Oil.

9. Zero foreign policy experience. McCain attacked Obama for not visiting Iraq enough while Palin has never gone. The only possible concern in a Biden/Palin debate is that Biden crushes her so badly that she starts crying and people feel sorry for her.

10. Does McCain have any relationship at all with Palin? What in their “history” convinced him that she should be president? Does even McCain know?

11. Obama and Biden seem like a team — two smart men with different specialties who can advise each other and play off each other’s strengths, much like Bill Clinton and Al Gore. What does Palin bring to the table? What advice will McCain seek from her?

12. Palin thinks creationism should be taught in schools. Enough said.

13. Palin is anti-choice. While this might make the 10% of Americans who want all abortions outlawed happy, it will alienate the vast majority of Americans. Not everyone knows that McCain wants Roe vs. Wade overturned and will do so if he can get more Supreme Court justices, and when they find that out, they run from McCain. Now they have one more person to run from.

14. Palin doesn’t think humans have caused climate change. Another knock on McCain’s attempts at greenwashing.

15. If Palin became president, do you really think the Cheneys and Rumsfelds of the world would let her do anything? They'd send her to a quiet corner while the big boys took care of things. She’d just be another oil/corporate stooge, just like Bush.

16. Palin becoming president would do for women what Alberto Gonzales has done for Latinos and what Condoleeza Rice has done for black women — set them back a decade or more.

17. This is an example of McCain’s superior judgment?

18. Just try imagining a McCain/Palin in 2008 poster. Yeah, neither can I. And when I do, I get a hearty chuckle.

19. If McCain truly thinks that America is facing enormous challenges and dire threats from terrorists, Iran, Russia, China, and a crippled economy, why would he pick Palin to possibly be the leader of the free world?

20. The Alaska republican party is in tatters as it attempts to handle multiple corruption scandals.

21. President Palin, leader of the free world. Just say it aloud. Everyone feel safer?

I’m sure this list will continue to grow and grow. Palin and the McCain campaign just ran into a buzzsaw of their own creation. I wouldn’t be surprised if Palin withdraws her name before the election.

http://mccain.bravenewfilms.org/blog/51016...ork-in-progress

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

nonsense.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Timeline
nonsense.

Your immediate reply means you didn't read the topic at all.

Yes, that has to be it.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

02-July -04 NOA1

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Previously, I’d seen John McCain’s VP pick as a no-win situation. He couldn’t pick Joe Lieberman because he’s Jewish and pro-choice (angering evangelicals), couldn’t pick Mitt Romney because he’s Mormon (angering evangelicals), and couldn’t pick Mike Huckabee since he’s a religious fundamentalist (angering independents). Seemed like Tim Pawlenty would be a safe, boring choice that wouldn’t excite anyone, especially since no one knows who he is.

But McCain’s choice of Alaska’s Sarah Palin shows that, by attempting to think outside the box, McCain has found a previously undiscovered way to lose a no-win situation. Seriously, choosing Palin is utterly ridiculous. Here are just a few reasons that I thought of without really trying:

1. Completely undercuts one of McCain’s main arguments against Barack Obama — that Obama lacks the experience to be president. If Obama isn’t experienced enough, what the hell is Palin? Should be hilarious to watch McCain and the republicans try to answer that one.

2. Introduces an issue that has not gotten nearly as much attention as it should — McCain’s age and health. It’s clear that McCain’s brain is already deteriorating, and with his advanced age, Palin is less than a heartbeat away from being president — it’s more like a half beat. Does anyone, including republicans, feel secure with the prospect of president Palin?

4. McCain’s pick shows that he has essentially bought his own propaganda, believing that there are scads of Hillary Clinton supporters who won’t back Obama and need a reason to vote for McCain. While McCain and the corporate media spent all week talking about this phantom demographic, I think there are only a tiny number of such women who were given a disproportionately loud voice by the McCain campaign and the media trying to stir up trouble. If there are such women, my guess is that they were mostly disgusted republicans who were willing to cross party lines to see a woman become president. If there were any more, Hillary’s strong statements at the DNC will have left no doubt what supporting Hillary really means — voting with the democrats.

5. This is sure to infuriate the very powerful sexist wing of the republican party. I can’t imagine Rush Limbaugh supporting a woman president of any party.

6. Palin is in the middle of an investigation over whether she used her influence to get her former brother-in-law, State Trooper Mike Wooten, fired. When Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan refused to fire Wooten, Monegan was suddenly fired. Palin and her administration forcefully claimed they had nothing to do with it, but they had to reverse that stance when a tape surfaced of a call with one of her staff saying that Palin wanted Wooten fired. Firing dedicated public servants (a state trooper, no less), for political/personal reasons? DOJ attorney scandal, anyone?

7. Soon to be a YouTube sensation, Palin said in a CNBC interview that she doesn’t want to entertain the notion of being vice president until “someone answers for me what is it exactly the VP does everyday?” Why can’t she find out for herself? Don’t they have books and the internet in Alaska? If someone said I might be chosen as VP, I would find out myself what the VP does, not wait for someone to explain it to me. Maybe, like McCain and Bush, Palin is still learning how to use “a Google”.

8. Palin was the chairwoman of the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which “oversees oil and gas drilling, development and production, reservoir depletion and metering operations on all lands subject to the state's police powers”. Just the change America needs — another VP looking to enrich the oil industry. Totally undercuts McCain’s claim that he bucks the repubs by being more green and is not in the pocket of Big Oil.

9. Zero foreign policy experience. McCain attacked Obama for not visiting Iraq enough while Palin has never gone. The only possible concern in a Biden/Palin debate is that Biden crushes her so badly that she starts crying and people feel sorry for her.

10. Does McCain have any relationship at all with Palin? What in their “history” convinced him that she should be president? Does even McCain know?

11. Obama and Biden seem like a team — two smart men with different specialties who can advise each other and play off each other’s strengths, much like Bill Clinton and Al Gore. What does Palin bring to the table? What advice will McCain seek from her?

13. Palin is anti-choice. While this might make the 10% of Americans who want all abortions outlawed happy, it will alienate the vast majority of Americans. Not everyone knows that McCain wants Roe vs. Wade overturned and will do so if he can get more Supreme Court justices, and when they find that out, they run from McCain. Now they have one more person to run from.

14. Palin doesn’t think humans have caused climate change. Another knock on McCain’s attempts at greenwashing.

15. If Palin became president, do you really think the Cheneys and Rumsfelds of the world would let her do anything? They'd send her to a quiet corner while the big boys took care of things. She’d just be another oil/corporate stooge, just like Bush.

16. Palin becoming president would do for women what Alberto Gonzales has done for Latinos and what Condoleeza Rice has done for black women — set them back a decade or more.

18. Just try imagining a McCain/Palin in 2008 poster. Yeah, neither can I. And when I do, I get a hearty chuckle.

19. If McCain truly thinks that America is facing enormous challenges and dire threats from terrorists, Iran, Russia, China, and a crippled economy, why would he pick Palin to possibly be the leader of the free world?

20. The Alaska republican party is in tatters as it attempts to handle multiple corruption scandals.

21. President Palin, leader of the free world. Just say it aloud. Everyone feel safer?

I’m sure this list will continue to grow and grow. Palin and the McCain campaign just ran into a buzzsaw of their own creation. I wouldn’t be surprised if Palin withdraws her name before the election.

http://mccain.bravenewfilms.org/blog/51016...ork-in-progress

Agree 100% on all, true.

And one point sums it all up: "This is an example of McCain’s superior judgment?"

Marriage : 2001-09-26

CSC:

I-130 Sent : 2008-03-01

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-12

I-130 Approved : 2008-07-24

NVC:

NVC Received: 2008-07-30

DS-3032 and AOS bill generated: 2008-08-04

DS-3032 e-mailed (with autoreply): 2008-08-05

AOS fee paid online: 2008-08-06

AOS fee received in AVR and online: 2008-08-07

DS-3032 accepted with e-mail notice: 2008-08-15

IV fee bill paid online: 2008-08-16

IV fee bill generated in AVR: 2008-08-18

IV fee bill Accepted (PAID online): 2008-08-19

I-864 Express Mailed: 2008-08-19

IV fee and 864 received at NVC, called to confirm: 2008-08-22

DS-230 Express Mailed to NVC: 2008-08-25

RFE issued (864): 2008-09-2, sent correction: 2008-09-03

RFE Checklist received: 2008-09-08

Case Complete: 2008-09-16

Timeline

Okay, I'll give it a little more...

President vs Vice President

This suggests that Republicans would rather vote for Obama than risk McCain dying in office. Nonesense.

irrelevant

You don't honestly think this won't sway some of them do you?

listen to a lot of Right wing talk radio do you? Obviously not.

Okay, you got one. We'll see if this goes anywhere though. I don't think so.

Did you not see the Biden video on Obama?

Check the polls on how Americans feel about drilling for more oil.

Again, President vs Vice President. Also there's a problem with Biden's foreign policy experience. For the left he was wrong on his vote supporting the Iraq invasion and for Independants and Republicans he was wrong on his not supporting the surge.

Irrelevant.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

02-July -04 NOA1

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

Timeline

Biden contains all the qualities Obama criticized Clinton for during the primaries. He will turn off the part of the party that saw Obama as bringing "change" and will not bring in a single Republican. Palin will turn away very few Republicans- trust me, the mood is excitement- and will bring in some of the ex Hillary supporters- yes she will.

This guarantees the southern states.

Check the track record on anti-choice candidates' victories vs anti-life candidates' victories

This puts her in line with the republican base. Its folly to think that anyone from the green party was going to vote for a Republican anyway. Where does climate rank in the list of reasons people are choosing their candidate?

So? We're talking about winning an election here.

I think locusts will swarm in also.

yes

Okay, that's two you got me on.

I'm sure he's not thinking of that. Remember, he doesn't think he's going to die while he's in office. But Being governor of Alaska, she's more familiar with dealing with

Russia than any other governor in the US, and that didn't stop them from being elected.

I think you already said this- yes, number 6.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

02-July -04 NOA1

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

John all those yrs when we said things like, "if a woman was in charge there would be no wars." .. and the "best multitasker, economist , educator and diplomat we know is mom" ... well we were just kidding why you take it literally??? You that out of touch???? Im surprised he didnt pick that fake barbie doll home wrecking Cindy as his running mate....

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

:jest:

VJmmbr,

I have a feeling you would have had the same reaction for any McCain pick. But the real question is: Do you like your mother very much?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline

I think you already said this- yes, number 6.

Oh, I really blew it on my response to this one! This is not the same issue as number 6, in fact this is probably the very worst example you could have possibly used to show that Palin is a bad choice.

I mean, you know what her role in those corruption scandals was don't you?

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

02-July -04 NOA1

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

Timeline

"The governor also opposed designating polar bears as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, fearing that step would get in the way of a proposed natural gas pipeline tapping the North Slope's vast reserves."

"..drilling in Alaska's protected Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. She favors drilling there.."

"A legislative panel is investigating whether she dismissed Alaska's public safety commissioner because he would not fire her former brother-in-law as a state trooper. Trooper Mike Wooten went through a messy divorce from Palin's sister.

The governor denied orchestrating the dozens of telephone calls made by her husband and members of her administration to Wooten's bosses."

"She received a bachelor of science degree in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987."

Nice f***ing resume.

She is a dangerous freak.

Doubt that even her family knows what to expect from her and when.

CSC:

NVC:

DS-3032 accepted with e-mail notice: 2008-08-15

IV fee bill paid online: 2008-08-16

IV fee bill generated in AVR: 2008-08-18

IV fee bill Accepted (PAID online): 2008-08-19

I-864 Express Mailed: 2008-08-19

IV fee and 864 received at NVC, called to confirm: 2008-08-22

DS-230 Express Mailed to NVC: 2008-08-25

RFE issued (864): 2008-09-2, sent correction: 2008-09-03

RFE Checklist received: 2008-09-08

Case Complete: 2008-09-16

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

As a Democrat, I'm a little perplexed why other Democrats would get up in arms over McCain's VP pick. Although there may be a great many things wrong with the choice, he chose Sarah Palin as his running mate, so if she wasn't that great of a pick, that only works to the favor of the Democratic ticket. In other words, the more a Democrat presses on about how bad a choice McCain has made will only put voters who are leaning towards voting for McCain on the defensive. I'd have to agree with what many are saying - this is the VP spot, which is a different slot than President. I'm not saying the choice is irrelevant, but at the end of the day, this election will be about which candidate has the most appealing ideas for voters, and as I've said before, I believe the outcome will be determined over issues such as the economy and war in Iraq....every other factor pales in comparison to those key issues in the minds of most voters.

Timeline

Fox News:

".. she does not about international relations, because she is right up there in Alaska, right next door to Russia.."

BRILLIANT !!!

So being a POW makes you ready for leadership and gives you tons of national security credentials, and proximity to Russia makes you smart in international relations..

wow.

maybe we could find some Russian ex con ?

would make a best pres.

CSC:

NVC: