egyptian

Question for all EGYPTION'S

51 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hmmm. That sounds vaguely familiar. I remember back when I had military harassers.. I mean recruiters... showing up at my house and whatnot, my dad told me that if I enlisted, I would pretty much be theirs until they decided otherwise so I should consider that. Thus, being one who is scared of such kinds of contracts (and also needles), I decided against it. That sure taught me to take the asvab and score well just to get out of 3rd period. Should have scored crappy!

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

Yup!!! :thumbs: That is the one and if you are a translator chances are they are going to call you back...... And you have no choice

haha me too!! super high scores and every single branch was calling my parents house, sending literature and one from the air force even stopped by the house!!!

:wacko: :wacko:

Hmmm. That sounds vaguely familiar. I remember back when I had military harassers.. I mean recruiters... showing up at my house and whatnot, my dad told me that if I enlisted, I would pretty much be theirs until they decided otherwise so I should consider that. Thus, being one who is scared of such kinds of contracts (and also needles), I decided against it. That sure taught me to take the asvab and score well just to get out of 3rd period. Should have scored crappy!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline
Yup!!! :thumbs: That is the one and if you are a translator chances are they are going to call you back...... And you have no choice

haha me too!! super high scores and every single branch was calling my parents house, sending literature and one from the air force even stopped by the house!!!

:wacko: :wacko:

Same thing!! I got like a 98th percentile in the mechanics and I remember the army guy gushing about that. WTH? I am sure someone could do way better than me, and it doesn't exactly *help* if I *know* what to do when in a pinch i may not have the actual hand strength and size to change out various parts and such. They don't stop, either, for YEARS. YEARS AND YEARS they came to my house, then they started coming to my dorm and I was like dudes, leave me alone.

My dad wanted to enlist so badly into the airforce for Viet Nam, but his eyesight was too bad and he has psoriasis... so no go. he was dissappointed. Then the army tried to draft him the next week and so the one recruiter had to go over to the toher one and straighten it out. My grandfather was in the airforce too. Actually, I think I come from an even more conservative background than Charles! ;)

ETA-- I accepted the invitation of one recruiter though, and boy, that was not a good thing to do. Then more came.

There is a girl who used to be on here more, Irene, and her Dh signed up as a translator but maybe it was private and not enlisted. It really seems to work for them.

Edited by julianna

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

My husband is a translator with the US Army working through a contractor stationed in Iraq. He is a civilian working with the Army. And yes, the salary is $3,900 twice each month. And he does get 2 weeks vacation but it is every 6 months for the 2 weeks vacation. The pay is excellent! He's been there since December, 2007. He works with several other Arabs who have been there for 2 years.

It's verifiable information lol However taking into account things that come out of a recruiter's mouth may be total BS. And considering they have a contract with you but you do not have one with them.

I'm not *that * naive but that's what they'be promising these days!!! :unsure:

They offer leave every 3 months (sometimes longer) for 2 weeks and they will fly you just about anywhere.. So for instance, you are serving in Iraq for a year and every few months they could fly you to Egypt or the US for a one to two week visit.

They are also offering monthly salaries in the range of $3500 USD per month up to $5000 USD per month (based on your level of education, english speaking ability and family size) That includes a housing allowance of up to $1300 USD (depending on your region) for your wife in the US while you are away.

:huh:

i think the monthly wage you listed is a bit high. plus the leave bit is quite unusual - a gal i work with, her fiance just came back from there on his 3rd trip and i've heard nothing from her about anything similar to him being able to leave every few months. (this is army - if you are referring to contractors then nevermind).

eta: pay scales link below

link

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

oh sure its ok, as long as you keep walking like and egyption!!

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
HI everyboday ... this question for all egyptions .. if you can to join U.S millitary you well think to join or not ? don't think this hard question :) i just want opinion b/c sometimes i think about it just give me your opinion :)

big NO

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Not always.. said example above of the Tunisian Marine friend... He was discharged .. But they put him on something.. (Charles probably knows the technical term) where he had like another 4 years of them being able to call him any time and he just finally got 10000% completely done with it all. They did call him 2 times during this period and he wasn't like "reserve or guard" I don't know how it worked.. I will ask him.

it is usually applied to shortage job skills, i've not heard of any going past a year, but it's possible.

But once you're discharged, that's it, right?

When u enlist in the military, you sign up for a 6 year obligation. Army will offer you 2 years active if you sign up for infantry, with 2 yrs active reserve and 2 yr inactive reserve. But if they need you, they can extend your active duty time, or if you are in the active reserves, they can activate your entire unit, etc.

P.S. The military does not pay like it has been described here. As an E-1 recruit, you get like 500 a month. You get no housing allowance, nor can you live off base unless you are an E-4 with over 4 yrs active duty (i.e. you re-enlist).

been there, done that. (I was Air Force)

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Not always.. said example above of the Tunisian Marine friend... He was discharged .. But they put him on something.. (Charles probably knows the technical term) where he had like another 4 years of them being able to call him any time and he just finally got 10000% completely done with it all. They did call him 2 times during this period and he wasn't like "reserve or guard" I don't know how it worked.. I will ask him.

it is usually applied to shortage job skills, i've not heard of any going past a year, but it's possible.

But once you're discharged, that's it, right?

When u enlist in the military, you sign up for a 6 year obligation. Army will offer you 2 years active if you sign up for infantry, with 2 yrs active reserve and 2 yr inactive reserve. But if they need you, they can extend your active duty time, or if you are in the active reserves, they can activate your entire unit, etc.

P.S. The military does not pay like it has been described here. As an E-1 recruit, you get like 500 a month. You get no housing allowance, nor can you live off base unless you are an E-4 with over 4 yrs active duty (i.e. you re-enlist).

yes, you do, and yes, you can. but it's not easy based on the low pay scale for someone fairly new in the military and the commander can, should you fail to show up for formation or other duties, at his discretion order you to move into the barracks.

the pay for housing is to provide housing for the spouse.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

My husband mentioned this to me also, just the translation part for private contract, and us living in lovely Iraq. Loved the idea of the money would make, but that is just a thought, I am not sure what he is thinking now? He usually has ideas and just plays with them until he finally decided; ok this is the way we will go. I don't care either way, I can live anywhere, as long as there is good internet, and hopefully good unities, TV not a issue, mail is an issue since you can order what you want on the internet. That just blows me away, in the old days when I lived in Germany you said good bye America and if you even wanted to make a simple phone call, you had to wait sometimes all day for the operator to get a line into America, so now with the internet and cell phones, no more a problem. Of course you don’t want to live in an area where bombing, rioting or rampage is going on, south central LA, my husband would have a heart attack. :devil:

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Timeline
You get no housing allowance, nor can you live off base unless you are an E-4 with over 4 yrs active duty (i.e. you re-enlist).[/b]

yes, you do, and yes, you can. but it's not easy based on the low pay scale for someone fairly new in the military and the commander can, should you fail to show up for formation or other duties, at his discretion order you to move into the barracks.

Not if quarters are available on base.

Things may have changed...its been a few years for me....and I was an officer.

At that time, if you were an E-4 under 4 yrs, there was no housing allowance. Your spouse got an ID card good for commisary, medial, etc, but no housing.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline
You get no housing allowance, nor can you live off base unless you are an E-4 with over 4 yrs active duty (i.e. you re-enlist).[/b]

At that time, if you were an E-4 under 4 yrs, there was no housing allowance. Your spouse got an ID card good for commisary, medial, etc, but no housing.

What country's military were you in? I know that is not true for a fact. Anyone who is married after initial training can live on or off base. If they live off base then they get housing allowance. The allowance varies by rank.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Timeline

What country's military were you in? I know that is not true for a fact. Anyone who is married after initial training can live on or off base. If they live off base then they get housing allowance. The allowance varies by rank.

USAF...but things have obviously changed.

You dont get to live off base if housing is available on-base....maybe some base commanders authorize it anyway. I didnt get the choice as there was always base housing. the allowance varies by grade and time in service, and which part of the country you live in...still a losing proposition. Many young enlisted with families need to watch their expenses....some need food stamps and things dont get aqny better untill you go over four yrs.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iraq
Timeline

You dont get to live off base if housing is available on-base....maybe some base commanders authorize it anyway. I didnt get the choice as there was always base housing. the allowance varies by grade and time in service, and which part of the country you live in...still a losing proposition. Many young enlisted with families need to watch their expenses....some need food stamps and things dont get aqny better untill you go over four yrs.

I just know that back in 2000-2001 I was married to an E-4 in the Army and he had no problems living off base and getting housing allowance. We knew many people who lived off base, but the Army never has enough housing so you don't even have to ask to live off base, as soon as you get married you just get a place and put the paper work in to get the housing allowance. The allowance varies by location and grade, but time in service has nothing to do with it. You can check the pay scales yourself if you don't believe me.

Married: May 28th, 2007

Arrived in the US: December 10th, 2008

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

correct on the military housing available on base point. but i've never heard of zero housing allowance if one lives off base, regardless of their rank, as long as they are married and the personnel people know about it (shack ups don't count - aka a class b dependant).

and to clarify - one can live off base if single. this is done one of two ways. with command consent means they get baq without dependants, without consent means it's all out of their pocket, plus they still have to maintain a room in the barracks.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.