Sokolov

Canadian in the US - No Visa - Married

50 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Thanks soo much! Its always good to see people that are going through the same sort of situation.

I haven't filled out a timeline yet because we have yet to start any kind of process! Our relationship is still kind of new to both of us, and we both realize that its a little too soon for us to get married yet..It looks as if we're just going to continue the visiting for a while, and take the time to decide what we want, where we want to live etc. I think I kind of scared him by showing him this site! I think he assumed I wanted to get married right now this day! But now he realizes that It was just research for our possibilities.

Im a bit worried about my ties to Toronto... Blindly in love, I was barely at my apartment (I lived at Avenue and Eglinton, since you know the area, how about yourself?) So i moved out and moved my stuff to my parents...and kind of live out of there. My employment, luckily is based on if Im there, I can work (A catering company, you sign yourself up for shifts your available for) All my family is out there, my healthcare is there, everything, so now we're watching my visits to here (Columbus) so that I dont go over the 6 months. 2 weeks later this month, then Im coming back here, then we go back in December. We even added a few extra weeks to Toronto so not to go over...I feel blessed because we live so close, that we can still see each other during the process of which ever visa we apply for.

There was more I was going to say, but I completely forgot what it was...Ill get back to it later!

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Christina,

You're welcome. Yes, I agree, it is good to see people who are going thorugh the same and/or similar situation here on VJ too!

Immigration aside, to tell you the truth, if your relationship is new, you still need a lot more time to "get to know each other better" before you decide on the "commitment" into "marriage". Yes, do take time to visit and communicate with each other more, before you decide as to what you both want to do. For example, do you both want to live in the USA or in Canada, as both can have very different outcomes. As well, what do you both want in terms of life goals, plans, values, for each other, for yourselves, etc. Time will definitely help in that matter, and if you need more time to do such, it's perfectly ok to have such indeed. And yes, do remember to enjoy the time that you have each other, whether it is "close" together or "far" apart.

It's good though, to "do your research" and be informed about the immigration process along the way, and doing that here on VJ is an excellent way to start. Don't let you or your boyfriend get too overwhelmed with the immigration information, and don't get overwhelmed with the idea of "getting married right away" either. Just reassure each other that "things will come", one step at a time, when you are both ready to do so.

Funny, I remember saying this in another topic post before here on VJ, which I can say here too:

"Likewise, I never dreamed of being married either. I just never thought that it was one of those things that would happen to me in life, and had other plans instead. Well, plans and directions change in life, and when one least expects it, love comes along and....

Before one knows it, they discovered that they have entered a wonderful thing called "marriage"... (L)(F)

My husband and I dated for many years before we got married. Even though it is a long time time for us, I was glad that we had that time to "get to know each other better". I thought and still think that marriage was a "serious lifelong/forever step", which takes a lot of commitment and responsiblity, and that I wasn't sure before that I was able to do this, so there was hesistation on my part initially because of that. Likewise, it didn't help either that growing up I didn't have any good role models about the concept of marriage (my parents were divorced), that made me hesistant from that viewpoint too.

Nevertheless, I took "the big plunge" into "marriage", despite those initial hesistations. And yes, we would have eventually married each other as we were so "meant for each other/soulmates", despite immigration problems/worries. In fact even before we were married, people who saw us together used to joke around and say "Aren't you two already married yet?" or "When is he going to move up to Canada already, since he's here all the time?"... :lol:

However, when we did get married, immigration did push our "marriage timeline" ahead....After the harassing ordeal we both went through in crossing the Canada/US border just for a simple visit together (see my VJ timeline for more info), we spur-of-the-moment instead decided to get eloped/married in the USA, and I moved down here to the USA instead....

And so here we are, living "happily-ever-married after" here in the USA (and yes, still dealing with the immigration process too...).... (L):luv: "

As for your "ties to Toronto", maybe the next time you cross the border, and if they happen to ask for such (which is not often they ask of such), you can bring along: proof of employment (since you said that you worked at a catering company), bills/letters/mail to your current address, a note from your parents (since you said that you had your stuff at their place), bank statements, financial statements, and anything else you can think of that "ties" you and your residence in Toronto and your intentions to go back to Canada after your visit. And yes, make sure you don't overstay your visits in the USA, as you don't want to end up in trouble because of that. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your family, friends, flexible work schedule, healthcare, etc. too in Canada, which you might probably miss if you move here in the USA. That's ok though, as sometimes sacrifices are needed in terms love. And yes, you are blessed to have love too and that you and your boyfriend live so close together so you can visit each other often too.

As for travelling between the USA and Canada while your visa is processing, that depends, regardless of what visa you apply for. You might need to apply for "Advance Parole" from the USA ahead of time (that's for the AOS process usually), and/or get some kind of a "form (I don't know what it's called exactly)" from Canada (if you are applying from Canada instead), in order to do such. To travel without proper paperwork while your visa/case is processing can cause it to be "abandoned" and possibly your case to be "denied". So yes, to look into those travel arrangements ahead of time too.

By the way, yes, I know of the Avenue/Eglinton area, but I did not live in that area. I think your area is close to/on the TTC subway line, right?. Wasn't there a Indigo/Chapters bookstore on that intersection/corner too? And I think TVO had its tv studio building there too. Ahh...I remember I used to ride the subway and pass by that area. I lived a bit further up north (North York Toronto area actually), but yes, it's close enough to where you live in Toronto (I think about 20 mins or so away, so we're close, indeed).

Anyways, good luck with whatever choice you make in terms of immigration and in terms of your relationship too!

Ant

Thanks soo much! Its always good to see people that are going through the same sort of situation.

I haven't filled out a timeline yet because we have yet to start any kind of process! Our relationship is still kind of new to both of us, and we both realize that its a little too soon for us to get married yet..It looks as if we're just going to continue the visiting for a while, and take the time to decide what we want, where we want to live etc. I think I kind of scared him by showing him this site! I think he assumed I wanted to get married right now this day! But now he realizes that It was just research for our possibilities.

Im a bit worried about my ties to Toronto... Blindly in love, I was barely at my apartment (I lived at Avenue and Eglinton, since you know the area, how about yourself?) So i moved out and moved my stuff to my parents...and kind of live out of there. My employment, luckily is based on if Im there, I can work (A catering company, you sign yourself up for shifts your available for) All my family is out there, my healthcare is there, everything, so now we're watching my visits to here (Columbus) so that I dont go over the 6 months. 2 weeks later this month, then Im coming back here, then we go back in December. We even added a few extra weeks to Toronto so not to go over...I feel blessed because we live so close, that we can still see each other during the process of which ever visa we apply for.

There was more I was going to say, but I completely forgot what it was...Ill get back to it later!

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

HI Sokolov, I am in the same situation as you, do not leave the USA, the Immigration officer tols me that if you leave they will consider your application abandoned...read my signature and it will show you what I have been doing...

I will keep up to date with you to help you as I learn too....Good luck...

OK. MAILED ON AUGUST 13TH.2008 THE FOLLOWING.

I-131--TRAVEL DOCUMENT

I-130--PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE

I-485--APPLICATION TO ADJUST PERMENANT RESIDENCE

MEDICAL EXAM/PASSED IT WITH FLYING COLORS

G-325A X2 GEOGRAPHIC/FORMS

I-765--EMPLOYMENT

THEY RECEIVED IN ON AUGUST 15TH,2008 ALL OF THE ABOVE LISTED

AND SO FAR THIS IS WHAT I HAVE RECEIVED BACK FROM THEM

NOA-NOTICE DATE AUGUST 20 FOR I-131 CASE IS AT NSC

NOA-NOTICE DATE AUGUST 19 FOR 1-765 CASE IS AT NSC

NOA-BIOMETRICS SEPTEMBER 4 FOR FINGER PRINTING AND PICTURES RE:I-765 COMPLETED

NOA-BIOMETRICS SEPTEMBER 4 FOR FINGER PRINTING AND PICTURES RE:I-485 COMPLETED

I-130--PETITION FOR ALIEN RELATIVE : AT NSC

I-131-ADVANCED PAROLE APPROVED, MAILED ON OCTOBER 23RD.

EAD Approved_Received Card..November 17th-2008

Interview for AOS December 10th..nervous!!!

.png

.png

Timeline

Heh, Ive actually read your timeline about 3 times already! While My relationship with BB is relatively new, Our friendship started 3 years ago, through mutual friends. We stayed in contact for all this time, but really started our connection the day before valentines day :) He made the first trip up to Toronto less than a month later, and we've been inseparable since. Almost quite literally! The total number of days that we have been apart is 10 days. While we both don't want to rush into getting married, we acknowledge ourselves as an item, a team, and we acknowlege that our union is definitely in our future. Time will tell what we decide to do!

Hi Christina,

You're welcome. Yes, I agree, it is good to see people who are going thorugh the same and/or similar situation here on VJ too!

Immigration aside, to tell you the truth, if your relationship is new, you still need a lot more time to "get to know each other better" before you decide on the "commitment" into "marriage". Yes, do take time to visit and communicate with each other more, before you decide as to what you both want to do. For example, do you both want to live in the USA or in Canada, as both can have very different outcomes. As well, what do you both want in terms of life goals, plans, values, for each other, for yourselves, etc. Time will definitely help in that matter, and if you need more time to do such, it's perfectly ok to have such indeed. And yes, do remember to enjoy the time that you have each other, whether it is "close" together or "far" apart.

It's good though, to "do your research" and be informed about the immigration process along the way, and doing that here on VJ is an excellent way to start. Don't let you or your boyfriend get too overwhelmed with the immigration information, and don't get overwhelmed with the idea of "getting married right away" either. Just reassure each other that "things will come", one step at a time, when you are both ready to do so.

Funny, I remember saying this in another topic post before here on VJ, which I can say here too:

"Likewise, I never dreamed of being married either. I just never thought that it was one of those things that would happen to me in life, and had other plans instead. Well, plans and directions change in life, and when one least expects it, love comes along and....

Before one knows it, they discovered that they have entered a wonderful thing called "marriage"... (L)(F)

My husband and I dated for many years before we got married. Even though it is a long time time for us, I was glad that we had that time to "get to know each other better". I thought and still think that marriage was a "serious lifelong/forever step", which takes a lot of commitment and responsiblity, and that I wasn't sure before that I was able to do this, so there was hesistation on my part initially because of that. Likewise, it didn't help either that growing up I didn't have any good role models about the concept of marriage (my parents were divorced), that made me hesistant from that viewpoint too.

Nevertheless, I took "the big plunge" into "marriage", despite those initial hesistations. And yes, we would have eventually married each other as we were so "meant for each other/soulmates", despite immigration problems/worries. In fact even before we were married, people who saw us together used to joke around and say "Aren't you two already married yet?" or "When is he going to move up to Canada already, since he's here all the time?"... :lol:

However, when we did get married, immigration did push our "marriage timeline" ahead....After the harassing ordeal we both went through in crossing the Canada/US border just for a simple visit together (see my VJ timeline for more info), we spur-of-the-moment instead decided to get eloped/married in the USA, and I moved down here to the USA instead....

And so here we are, living "happily-ever-married after" here in the USA (and yes, still dealing with the immigration process too...).... (L):luv: "

As for your "ties to Toronto", maybe the next time you cross the border, and if they happen to ask for such (which is not often they ask of such), you can bring along: proof of employment (since you said that you worked at a catering company), bills/letters/mail to your current address, a note from your parents (since you said that you had your stuff at their place), bank statements, financial statements, and anything else you can think of that "ties" you and your residence in Toronto and your intentions to go back to Canada after your visit. And yes, make sure you don't overstay your visits in the USA, as you don't want to end up in trouble because of that. Glad to hear that you are enjoying your family, friends, flexible work schedule, healthcare, etc. too in Canada, which you might probably miss if you move here in the USA. That's ok though, as sometimes sacrifices are needed in terms love. And yes, you are blessed to have love too and that you and your boyfriend live so close together so you can visit each other often too.

As for travelling between the USA and Canada while your visa is processing, that depends, regardless of what visa you apply for. You might need to apply for "Advance Parole" from the USA ahead of time (that's for the AOS process usually), and/or get some kind of a "form (I don't know what it's called exactly)" from Canada (if you are applying from Canada instead), in order to do such. To travel without proper paperwork while your visa/case is processing can cause it to be "abandoned" and possibly your case to be "denied". So yes, to look into those travel arrangements ahead of time too.

By the way, yes, I know of the Avenue/Eglinton area, but I did not live in that area. I think your area is close to/on the TTC subway line, right?. Wasn't there a Indigo/Chapters bookstore on that intersection/corner too? And I think TVO had its tv studio building there too. Ahh...I remember I used to ride the subway and pass by that area. I lived a bit further up north (North York Toronto area actually), but yes, it's close enough to where you live in Toronto (I think about 20 mins or so away, so we're close, indeed).

Anyways, good luck with whatever choice you make in terms of immigration and in terms of your relationship too!

Ant

chris4.jpg

"May our love last another day.....and then some"

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Christina,

Lol…thanks for reading my timeline. I update it pretty often, as I enjoy doing such on VJ and it helps me “organize” my immigration experience for myself and for everyone else to see. That’s great that you kept in touch as friends with your BB for so many years, and then from there it blossomed into a relationship, and hopefully more too for the both of you as time goes on. Ahh, that’s the way it is with love, two people who are inseparable…Wow, that’s amazing that you’ve spent so much time together, being so close and all, which is a good thing. Yes, time will decide as to what holds for the both of you in terms of your relationship, and perhaps into marriage someday. Either way, enjoy the time that you spent together now, and for the rest of your lives, as you continue to acknowledge relationship and love each other…

Ant

Heh, Ive actually read your timeline about 3 times already! While My relationship with BB is relatively new, Our friendship started 3 years ago, through mutual friends. We stayed in contact for all this time, but really started our connection the day before valentines day :) He made the first trip up to Toronto less than a month later, and we've been inseparable since. Almost quite literally! The total number of days that we have been apart is 10 days. While we both don't want to rush into getting married, we acknowledge ourselves as an item, a team, and we acknowlege that our union is definitely in our future. Time will tell what we decide to do!

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.