Micah Kam

Birth Certificates

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I'm really hoping you all can help me out as my fiance and I are preparing to send out Packet 3. I do not have a Birth Certificate :crying: and I was born in Laos but have been raised in Canada since I was six years old. I e-mailed Montreal Consulate if I could use my Landed Immigrant Record which has my birth name, birth date, birth place, information on parentage, official seal, etc. They replied "No, you need an Affidavit and school record". HUH, what does this mean??? :unsure: This was the complete answer so I e-mailed the Consulate once more. As I wait for their answer, hoping it will be more detailed, and clear as to what direction to take, I'm hoping someone can clarify their answer they gave to us.

1. What does the Affidavit need to state specifically?

2. What school record? High School? Elementary? A school record doesn't specify where I was born, does it?

We really need your help! PLEASE!!!

Thank you so much for your advance help, and direction. This is a great site. :dance:

Hey everyone,

I'm really hoping you all can help me out as my fiance and I are preparing to send out Packet 3. I do not have a Birth Certificate :crying: and I was born in Laos but have been raised in Canada since I was six years old. I e-mailed Montreal Consulate if I could use my Landed Immigrant Record which has my birth name, birth date, birth place, information on parentage, official seal, etc. They replied "No, you need an Affidavit and school record". HUH, what does this mean??? :unsure: This was the complete answer so I e-mailed the Consulate once more. As I wait for their answer, hoping it will be more detailed, and clear as to what direction to take, I'm hoping someone can clarify their answer they gave to us.

1. What does the Affidavit need to state specifically?

2. What school record? High School? Elementary? A school record doesn't specify where I was born, does it?

We really need your help! PLEASE!!!

Thank you so much for your advance help, and direction. This is a great site. :dance:

Sorry you're in this bind. It doesn't help that you're just finding out about the need of this at this late stage of the game. I don' t know how old you are, but I do understand that upwards to 80% of people from Laos don't have birth registration. Do you have a copy of your family's household book? The only thing I can think of is that you need an Affadvit to say why you don't have a birth certificate. Something perhaps either from the Laos government saying this, and why you don't have one? What about something from a Canadian University professor or goverment official saying why you don't have one, and that it's unlikely that most people from Laos don't have one? I don't know...might sound silly, but I'm brainstorming here. lol Okay, hmm, school. Maybe just to show your transcripts to show that you really truly were here from age 6 on? School records to show that they saw documentation to attest to your age? Ugh, I really don't know.

There was someone from Canada just a few weeks ago that was trying to find something in lieu of their birth certificate, and they were from South Africa. You might want to PM them and see what they know about documentation you can use in lieu of a birth certificate if you can't obatin one. You can't obtain one if one was never registered. I'm thinking this might be your case.

The other members name that is also looking at what she can do in lieu of a birth certificate is snapcracklepop. Send her a PM and she might have some information for you.

You might try emailing Mtl. again as well. Remember to put your case number in the subject line.

Have you checked out the Canada forum here on VJ?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...amp;s=&f=93

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I think I found the answer to my own question. I e-mailed Montreal Consulate concerning my problem in obtaining a birth certificate because my birth was never registered in Laos. They responded that I would need my school record and an affidavit. I e-mailed them again requesting for a more clear, detailed answer and they only said that the school record would show my date of birth. As for the affidavit, they didn't answer this question but I think I found some useful information I wanted to post because who knows if anyone else now or in the future that may run in to a similar problem.

http://www.***removed***/immigration/birth-certificate.html

I will be sending a request to the last secondary school I attended for my school transcripts along with the $24 fee and copy of my ID and including a prepaid Canada Post Envelope so they can send it to me asap.

Afterwards, I will follow the instructions that are herein the link because this is starting to make sense. There's a company in Toronto that notarizes affidavits called watermarknotaries.com.

In all fairness, from the research I've done, and lack of detailed instructions, this process of going about confirming my date of birth and location seems the most reasonable. Well I hope no one ever has to run in to this nasty problem, because believe me, it's annoying!!! This was our first LONG snag through this process. Thanks for all your help everyone... so much appreciate the support. :dance:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hey everyone,

I think I found the answer to my own question. I e-mailed Montreal Consulate concerning my problem in obtaining a birth certificate because my birth was never registered in Laos. They responded that I would need my school record and an affidavit. I e-mailed them again requesting for a more clear, detailed answer and they only said that the school record would show my date of birth. As for the affidavit, they didn't answer this question but I think I found some useful information I wanted to post because who knows if anyone else now or in the future that may run in to a similar problem.

http://www.***removed***/immigration/birth-certificate.html

I will be sending a request to the last secondary school I attended for my school transcripts along with the $24 fee and copy of my ID and including a prepaid Canada Post Envelope so they can send it to me asap.

Afterwards, I will follow the instructions that are herein the link because this is starting to make sense. There's a company in Toronto that notarizes affidavits called watermarknotaries.com.

In all fairness, from the research I've done, and lack of detailed instructions, this process of going about confirming my date of birth and location seems the most reasonable. Well I hope no one ever has to run in to this nasty problem, because believe me, it's annoying!!! This was our first LONG snag through this process. Thanks for all your help everyone... so much appreciate the support. :dance:

Good luck toyou..And I hope that you will have your birth certificate because you will need that later on with more processing to come..GOd bless

USflag.gifr.gifi.gifc.gifh.gifo.gifphilippine_flag.gif

AOS & EAD TIMELINE:

July 21, 2008---(ORIGINAL) NOA1 for AOS & EAD

July 29, 2008---"WALK-IN" BIOMETRICS DONE (AOS & EAD-1)

Oct 14, 2008---EAD1 CARD ARRIVES! Approval date is Oct. 2, 2008

Dec 10, 2008---INTERVIEW DAY! APPROVED!!!

Dec 17, 2008---WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED

Jan 9, 2009---CARD RECEIVED FINALLY! Approval date 12-10-08..expires on 12-10-10

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

Sept 10,2010---REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

CITIZENSHIP

Sept 10,2011---Application for citizenship

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.