Question for USC With SO from UK, Australia, Canada...etc

43 posts in this topic

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

.........- who's doing it?

Oh there is a few on here that come to mind straight away....but it's not so much who, but why?

Ive noticed it as well tmma. TBH it kinda annoys me :lol:

Off Topic, Marilyn i love the bunny in your sig :star:

Edited by garyandmarylou

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

It wasn't so much the spelling thing, as people typing with their SO's accent that gets me all bent out of shape...

...but, whatever floats their boats. It's all good really and love is a wonderful thing.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Not me! Levi and I are always making fun of each other with the spelling differences! I'm correct of course :yes:

January 19, 2008 sent I129f to CSC

January 24, 2008 NOA1

June 3, 2008 TOUCH!!!

June 3, 2008 NOA2!!!!!

June 9, 2008 NVC received

June 10, 2008 mailed to Vancouver!!!

June 24, 2008 Packet 3 received!!!

July 3, 2008 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver

July 11, 2008 Medical

July 15, 2008 Packet 4 received(interview notice)

August 27, 2008 1pm INTERVIEW!!!!! APPROVED!!!!

September 14, 2008 POE Pembina, North Dakota YAY!!!!

November 1, 2008 Wedding!!!

AOS, EAD, AP

January 10, 2009 AOS, EAD, AP sent to Chicago lockbox

January 12, 2009 Received

January 22, 2009 NOA1 AOS, EAD, AP

January 30, 2009 AOS transfered to CSC

March 16, 2009 AP touch

March 17, 2009 Biometrics

March 17, 2009 EAD card production ordered

March 17, 2009 AOS touch

March 18, 2009 AP received

March 25, 2009 EAD received (good for one year)

April 21, 2009 Email stating AOS approved!!!!!!

April 25, 2009 Card received

I have been a member of VJ some time, and I have been curious as to why afew USCs on here with SO from other English speaking countries (Great Britain, Canada, Australia...etc) spell some words the same as their foreign SO does....

example---

COLOR (American spelling).....COLOUR ( uk, canada, etc)

PROGRAM ( American).............PROGRAMME ( uk, canada, etc).

Can one of you USCs that do this-- tell me why?

Just asking.

:)

does it matter if you have lived there for a time or not?

They may be in need of linguistic suppourt.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmmm....could it be 'cos they want to? Could it be that they're planning an eventual move to their SO's country and want to work on spelling things correctly (correct according to their SO's country I mean). Just some thoughts...

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline
I have been a member of VJ some time, and I have been curious as to why afew USCs on here with SO from other English speaking countries (Great Britain, Canada, Australia...etc) spell some words the same as their foreign SO does....

example---

COLOR (American spelling).....COLOUR ( uk, canada, etc)

PROGRAM ( American).............PROGRAMME ( uk, canada, etc).

Can one of you USCs that do this-- tell me why?

Just asking.

does it matter if you have lived there for a time or not?

I said earlier......

......there are exceptions ( I was born in the USA and educated in England).

I am asking those USCs who have always lived in the USA, educated here and are now with SO from other English speaking countries here in the USA.

KarenCee-thanks for answering my question. :thumbs:

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Because hubster finally learned to spell things the correct way when he met me :whistle:

He has much greater honour when he spells colour properly.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

My SO spells everything the Brit way (because that's how he learned English in Germany) and I have noticed that I pick up a few things from him....and I'm an English teacher ffs!

But really, why does it even matter? I think some people don't even notice they do it, perhaps they have spent so much time reading emails/letters from their SO it just sort of worked it's way into their writing habits?

I can't take it when people write in any accent (dat, summat, etc) but to each his own.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

why? because it is the correct way to spell them.. :P

:thumbs:

Alex doesn't post here and I can't really say that I've noticed him consistently using the British spelling of words in written communications but I do know how easy it is to pick up words/spellings that your SO uses. I've done it before, as has he, and I think it's just a natural side effect of writing to each other so often. Our sentence structure and use of punctuation is quite similar these days, but I swear it never used to be.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: Timeline
My SO spells everything the Brit way (because that's how he learned English in Germany) and I have noticed that I pick up a few things from him....and I'm an English teacher ffs!

But really, why does it even matter? I think some people don't even notice they do it, perhaps they have spent so much time reading emails/letters from their SO it just sort of worked it's way into their writing habits?

I can't take it when people write in any accent (dat, summat, etc) but to each his own.

Ain't!!!!! I hate ain't!!! :protest::ranting:

Aw, c'mon, Julie; it ain't all that bad! :innocent:

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!