tmma

Question for USC With SO from UK, Australia, Canada...etc

43 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I have been a member of VJ some time, and I have been curious as to why afew USCs on here with SO from other English speaking countries (Great Britain, Canada, Australia...etc) spell some words the same as their foreign SO does....

example---

COLOR (American spelling).....COLOUR ( uk, canada, etc)

PROGRAM ( American).............PROGRAMME ( uk, canada, etc).

Can one of you USCs that do this-- tell me why?

Just asking.

:)

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i spell brazil brasil now.

Because they have weak self image

silence, non-curry cooker!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

It's just the way it is. We don't blame them Brits for not being perfect. :devil:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
Americans are lazy (generalisation! Huzzah!), that's why they drop a u here and there. :P

:lol: but I am asking why some Americans ADD it after meeting their SO (which is curious to me especially if they are still living in the US and not their SO country).

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I found out recently that I use the British spelling for certain words like "travelling" and "modelling" (hey look they're underlined!). Never knew!

Anyway, about your question - no idea! Tend to agree with AJ's hypothesis though... :whistle:

Timeline
Tend to agree with AJ's hypothesis though... :whistle:

Me too!!

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

---

In my case, I was born in India and raised in Canada.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Timeline

I don't use the "our" instead of "or" BUT for some reason after living in England for so long I started spelling liter as litre. Now, I'm addicted to spelling it with the "tre" and I do it without even thinking about it. It seems to just flow better as I type and write. The others I have no clue about.

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

Timeline
In my case, I was born in India and raised in Canada.

Yes, there are exceptions ( I was born in the USA and educated in England).

I am asking those USCs who have always lived in the USA, educated here and are now with SO from other English speaking countries here in the USA.

:)

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

---

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Simple. Bad habits are easier to catch. 'Nuff said. :yes:

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Timeline
.........- who's doing it?

Oh there is a few on here that come to mind straight away....but it's not so much who, but why?

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

---