kaya541

Best way to transfer Canadian funds to the US

37 posts in this topic

xetrade does it too

We use our paypal account to transfer US funds to my accounts in Canada. It takes about 5 days at most. I'll have to check out this Customhouse though, I have not heard of it.

I was about to say if anyone has tried Paypal. I wanted to set up custom house, and even though everybody recommends it highly we were reluctant with it because we had never heard of it before, and when we tried to set it up somehow we didn't feel comfortable with it.

We are using Paypal and it works great!

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2faws.gif+3dflags-canqc1-1.gif3Dflags

Removal of Conditions: GC received on 09/17/2009

Application to replace permanent resident cards filed 3/30/2019 (I-90)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

yes, CH takes a bit to set up, but it is all because of security precautions to protect you, which is a good thing!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

We used RBC, but we didn't just take Canadian dollars and transfer to our Royal Bank US account.

1. We opened a U.S. dollar account in Canada at our Canadian bank (TD). When we liked the exchange rate on a particular day, we transferred the money (online, where they tell you what exchange rate they are giving you and what the result will be in U.S. dollars) in to the U.S. account.

2. A month before we moved we opened a simple RBC Canadian account (as you must to get an American (Centura) one opened).

Also had to open a 'dummy' U.S. dollar account as we had U.S. funds - ie, it was only opened to deposit/transfer the money - then closed.

Hopefully your RBC bank is more efficient than ours was - they messed everything up - so in light of that I would recommend doing this at least 2 months before you move.

3. We took our U.S. dollars out of the Canadian bank we had been using and took a money order to RBC. A few days before we moved we transferred it to the RBC Centura account.

It seems like a bit of a hassle - and it is - to begin with, plus RBC is only in some of the southern states, not sure where you are moving to. I'm sure you can have these accounts regardless - but if you are moving to the Northern U.S. and require a branch nearby - prob not your best bet.

The good part is that you have complete online access to your Canadian account and U.S. account and can transfer money between the two, online.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Can you also just take out cash from a US ATM with your CDN debit card and then re-deposit in a US account?

I do have quite a bit of money saved, so I don't think this would work for me, but it is an option isn't it?

I need to think about how I will transfer my money. CustomHouse seems to be the easiest and cheapest so I think I'll do that.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Yes one can use their Cdn debit card and take the $$$ out, BUT watch out for the high fees and crappy exchange rate!

And yes payapal is another option, but beware, I believe they have had some security issues in ther past, and every now and then I get fake emails about my paypal acct--which i use for Ebay!!

CH is sort of a middleman! To use CH, you need a Canadian bank account AND an American bank account. CH makes money off the exchange rate, that rate is still better than what the bank is going to give you. One can tx $$ from Canada bank to your USA bank and vice versa, comes in handy when ur heading back to Canada for holidays! Keep in mind when u use your USA Credit card, many charge you an extra fee when using the credit card when outside the USA! Thus thats why I tx $$ back to Canada. Keep in mind when down the road when you want to send $$ from ur USA bank acct, to ur Cdn one, there is a very short process one has to do. I can't recall off the top off my head, but was easy. I just called them and they walked me through it, only took a few minutes.

One can always email them directly (or phone) and ask questions, they are normally very prompt at replying http://www.customhouse.com/company/profile/

Edited by flames9

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Yes one can use their Cdn debit card and take the $$$ out, BUT watch out for the high fees and crappy exchange rate!

:thumbs:

Using your Canadian debit card in the U.S. is about the worst way to get your money to the U.S.

As an example, my Husband was out last month and forgot his pin number for his U.S. debit card, so used his Canadian one.

They charged him $ 45.02 CDN for $ 40.00 U.S. and a $ 3.00 fee.

So his $ 40.00 U.S. cost us $ 48.02 (this was with an RBC Canadian debit card).

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

when my mom puts money in my Canadian account I take it out with my debit card at our banks ATM machine... the exchange rate wasn't that bad and they didn't charge much..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
when my mom puts money in my Canadian account I take it out with my debit card at our banks ATM machine... the exchange rate wasn't that bad and they didn't charge much..

Yes, if it's not a huge amount of money it doesn't matter I guess, but even so, I wouldn't want to be giving the bank 8 dollars everytime I got 40 :lol:

I'm sure some banks give a better rate/service charge than RBC

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

$8!! Thats a case of beer, or flowers for the misses!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe it depends on the bank because I just get charged the current exhange rate and then the $3.00, which isn't astronomical. I think some banks charge an extra % though, you are right.

I mean if I'm taking out $40, then losing $3 sucks, but if I'm taking out $1000, then $3 is not so bad to make that transfer for convenience purposes.

But free is always the best option....

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Question is: What was the going exchange rate? Did you just look at the bank? or did you actually go online and check the market, because their is a difference.

One way is to make a US$ cash (or US$ Amex TravCheques) withdrawal from the Canadian account and simply carry it into the US.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Timeline

My parents gave me some $$$ a few yrs back! They checked with the bank about what their exchange rate was if they converted it their and put into travelers cheques, then immediately phoned me so I could check out the CH rate, and the CH rate was a tad better. I'm sure thats not always the case, but if one has CH, that option is always there, its totally free to set up. Enough of my CH stand,lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.