w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Foreclosure drives 53-year old woman to suicide

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

TAUNTON - The housing crunch has caused anguish and anxiety for millions of Americans. For Carlene Balderrama, a 53-year-old wife and mother, the pressure was apparently too much.

Police say that Balderrama fatally shot herself Tuesday afternoon, 90 minutes before her foreclosed home was scheduled to be sold at auction. Chief Raymond O'Berg said that Balderrama faxed a letter to her mortgage company at 2:30 p.m., saying that "by the time they foreclosed on the house today she'd be dead."

The mortgage company notified police, who found her body at 3:30 p.m. The auction had been scheduled to start at 5 p.m., when bidders showed up at the house and found it surrounded by police cruisers.

But, unbeknownst to buyers and to Balderrama, the auction had been postponed by the time she grabbed her husband's high-powered rifle, O'Berg said.

Balderrama left a note for her family, saying they should "take the [life] insurance money and pay for the house," O'Berg said. The chief said he did not know, however, if the family would be able to collect on the policy in the event of a suicide.

Neighbors on Duffy Drive, a forested side street on the city's east side, said Balderrama had lived in the two-story, brown-shingled, raised ranch for about four years with her husband, John, who is a plumber, and their 24-year-old son, who works in a restaurant.

Joe Whitney, who works with Balderrama's husband, said that she handled the bills in the household and that the husband was unaware of the foreclosure.

"John didn't even know about it; that's the surprise," Whitney said outside the home, where he had come to comfort the family. "It's just one of those awful, awful, tragic events."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/...of_foreclosure/

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Its so terrible that things like these drive people over the edge. How difficult for the husband to find out his wife has died and now he has lost his house.

This is the part I don't get:

Joe Whitney, who works with Balderrama's husband, said that she handled the bills in the household and that the husband was unaware of the foreclosure.

How could he not have even known??? Does anyone really disassociate themselves from household financials to that extent?

yes..in some marriages, one spouse is the manager and the other has no interest

Edited by almaty

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

How could he not have even known??? Does anyone really disassociate themselves from household financials to that extent?

I know what you mean. I think she must have been suffocating under the pressure.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Wow this is really sad.

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I don't find that surprising at all. Maybe he was even worse at dealing with the anxiety of financial troubles than she was.

Well yeah, in my marriage I manage the finances but my wife still knows what's going on. I don't see how we could be in foreclosure and she wouldn't know, even up to 90 minutes before the auction.

i suspect either she over extented the family////or was into gambling or another addicitive type behavior

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

I don't find that surprising at all. Maybe he was even worse at dealing with the anxiety of financial troubles than she was.

Interesting.

Well yeah, in my marriage I manage the finances but my wife still knows what's going on. I don't see how we could be in foreclosure and she wouldn't know, even up to 90 minutes before the auction.

i suspect either she over extented the family////or was into gambling or another addicitive type behavior

hhmmmmm..... interesting.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I don't think its very surprising. Tragic of course - but not a surprise.

Imagine having lost everything you worked for 20 or 30 years and having to start again in your mid-50's. Clearly there are people who find it too much to deal with.

I've read similar stories before from people who have lost everything through medical expenses.

Terrible that there isn't more help out there for people.

It is entirely possible that she signed a note she had no ability of repaying.

Given the clearly dyfunctional nature of this family (the husband didn't even know!?!), I'm not ready to call this terrible or tragic. For all I know, this could very well be a case of a good candidate for the financial Darwin award.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It is entirely possible that she signed a note she had no ability of repaying.

Given the clearly dyfunctional nature of this family (the husband didn't even know!?!), I'm not ready to call this terrible or tragic. For all I know, this could very well be a case of a good candidate for the financial Darwin award.

I wouldn't presume too much about the circumstances - the woman clearly felt incredible pressure and that her problems were insurmountable. I would imagine that it really is terrible to feel that not only is suicide a viable option, but the only one available.

Edited by Number 6