mrsartis

Our Wedsites! for Registry

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Lately every wedding and baby shower and house warming I've been to has had "No Boxed Gifts" on the invite. If it was tacky once, it's getting more and more acceptable. Personally, I like it - it takes the work out of finding a gift.

Edited by A.J.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Personally, I think it's tacky to specifically request cash, although that's what I prefer to give anyway. It's good to register for home needs at all different price ranges so that guests who may be more strapped financially can get you something that you will enjoy and not feel obligated to shell out big bucks. I don't mind the couple asking for contributions to a honeymoon fund or something like that though.

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Lately every wedding and baby shower and house warming I've been to has had "No Boxed Gifts" on the invite. If it was tacky once, it's getting more and more acceptable. Personally, I like it - it takes the work out of finding a gift.

I totally agree.. my Mother-in-law says otherwise... :crying: besides, we dont have our own place yet.. we only have an apartment which is already full of our stuffs, what more with the gifts right? we are already paying a storage house for my fiance's toys and collections... (sigh)...

😁

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Personally, I think it's tacky to specifically request cash, although that's what I prefer to give anyway. It's good to register for home needs at all different price ranges so that guests who may be more strapped financially can get you something that you will enjoy and not feel obligated to shell out big bucks. I don't mind the couple asking for contributions to a honeymoon fund or something like that though.

for our wedding we asked people to contribute to a plane ticket fund....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

My personal opinion is that wedding gifts shouldn't be asked for at all. I may be old fashioned but I was brought up never to ask for gifts. I think it's tacky to ask for anything and even more tacky to ask for money. Just be thankful for anything you are given.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Some of the registries have the option for your guests to purchase gift cards. Personally, I'd never give anything with its monetary value on it. However, I do think that it makes sense to set up a registry. That way people see what you really need. Your wedding guests will bring gifts anyway, so you may as well point them into the right direction.

Have a wonderful wedding! All that really counts on that day anyway is that you and your SO are getting married.

In every difficulty lies an island of opportunity.

Timeline
My personal opinion is that wedding gifts shouldn't be asked for at all. I may be old fashioned but I was brought up never to ask for gifts. I think it's tacky to ask for anything and even more tacky to ask for money. Just be thankful for anything you are given.

Thanks OOsie, hmm dumb me :bonk: i was actually thinking already what to received heheheheh .. yeah i know you do have a point.. but Husband to be has been bugging me..like "hun, do you what a blue ray tv?"(we dont need it) and im not about to ask my guests for afund for such...hmm but withthe registry that our guests already knew, they are expecting like wishes right?..

😁

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

For some reason, cash only gifts remind me of "The Sopranos" where they all show up with big, thick envelopes filled with dough. It's becoming very common in Colombia but that's mainly because people usually need more money than a crystal plate they'll never use.

I had a friend who did a honeymoon thing online, where each guest bought a different item for the honeymoon. Some pitched in for the plane tickets, others for one night at the hotel, others for spa treatments, others bought them tours, others an hour of horseback riding. I bought them a dinner at one of the hotel restaurants and it was easy. I think they set it up with their travel agency but I can't remember.

You can start by looking at one of these: http://www.honeyluna.com/

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
According to many recent publications, etiquette experts say it is still tacky to ask flat out for money. However, it is becoming more and more common and acceptable to set up funds for special needs of the new family: honeymoons, downpayments for the house, remodeling, etc. What you do in such case, register you grande purchase at special webpage and your guests can pay for portions of it. You might want to checkout www.theknot.com. I love that page. There is a lot of wedding-planning advice!

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

Timeline
According to many recent publications, etiquette experts say it is still tacky to ask flat out for money. However, it is becoming more and more common and acceptable to set up funds for special needs of the new family: honeymoons, downpayments for the house, remodeling, etc. What you do in such case, register you grande purchase at special webpage and your guests can pay for portions of it. You might want to checkout www.theknot.com. I love that page. There is a lot of wedding-planning advice!

Yay! thanks Diana and ANa for the sites will definitely check them out :D im all stressed.. is it supposed to be as this stressful?

😁

I would not ask for money, no. I also wouldn't put registry information on the invitations, but I have no problems with making a registry; I would just wait until people asked about one to direct them to it. They're very helpful for some people. If people ask you directly what you would like, you might be able to suggest money as an option, but I wouldn't otherwise give your preference.

I've read many differing opinions on what to put on registries; some people really only prefer to see traditional items on them (linens, china and silverware) whereas others don't mind a registry that reflects the needs/tastes of the couple more (i.e. camping equipment or garden tools). I have no problems with putting useful, but non-traditional, items on the registry but I would not include any luxuries (TV, gaming equipment, holidays etc.).

EDIT: Yes, I'm finding it terribly stressful and I haven't even really started planning anything yet - just thinking about it! I've been reading etiquette boards for months and there's an awful lot to consider.

Edited by Alex & Rachel

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Timeline
I would not ask for money, no. I also wouldn't put registry information on the invitations, but I have no problems with making a registry; I would just wait until people asked about one to direct them to it. They're very helpful for some people. If people ask you directly what you would like, you might be able to suggest money as an option, but I wouldn't otherwise give your preference.

I've read many differing opinions on what to put on registries; some people really only prefer to see traditional items on them (linens, china and silverware) whereas others don't mind a registry that reflects the needs/tastes of the couple more (i.e. camping equipment or garden tools). I have no problems with putting useful, but non-traditional, items on the registry but I would not include any luxuries (TV, gaming equipment, holidays etc.).

EDIT: Yes, I'm finding it terribly stressful and I haven't even really started planning anything yet - just thinking about it! I've been reading etiquette boards for months and there's an awful lot to consider.

oh alex and rachel guess we are screwed in terms of etiquette thing... th e invitations are already been printed... woa...and the wedsites are at the bottom.. huhuhuhuhuh. HOpe others would look at it as it is.. hehehe

ANa, i love the http://weddings.theknot.com/weddingdress/b...aspx?gowntype=1 thanks for sharing the site.. im going to scrutinize it.. hihih..

😁