Gemmie

Quick question

34 posts in this topic

I'm way ahead of myself here, but I've read someone say that it's a good idea to get the required vaccincations before the medical since they can be done on the NHS rather than paying the extra fees.

- It this a good idea?

- Which vaccinations are required for people from the UK? (I've also read that it's different for each country?)

Thanks.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm way ahead of myself here, but I've read someone say that it's a good idea to get the required vaccincations before the medical since they can be done on the NHS rather than paying the extra fees.

- It this a good idea?

- Which vaccinations are required for people from the UK? (I've also read that it's different for each country?)

Thanks.

Their is a legal waiver from vaccines but it will cost u 270 quid and an extra 3 month wait while they process extra forms. For me its worth it but everyone makes their own call.See the debate posted below

- It this a good idea?

Thanks.

IN fact as a a K1 applicant you may not be required to be vaccinated until youy adjust status later on in the states.

Oh no, I WANT the vaccinations.

I have no problem with having them, I just want to do it in the cheapest way possible.

And it is a requirement I think.

Oh no, I WANT the vaccinations.

I have no problem with having them, I just want to do it in the cheapest way possible.

And it is a requirement I think.

Check out the vaccine debate in this forum.Its worth taking the time to read the articles and watch the vids.

Oh,and good luck with it all. Im having my medical this afternoon and have jsut wirtten of to get an interview date.

D

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You guys really don't have to have vaccinations? That's great for you.

I sent my husband to his local clinic to have his done cause they were much cheaper. And, in Jamaica, he did have to have them.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Yes its a good idea to get the vaccinations done ahead of the medical. I got mine done on the NHS for free. Just remember to have your gp give you a copy of your vaccinations record, so that you can take with you to the medical.

You can wait til you move to the US to have them done. But of course you would have to pay to have them done. Just as well doing them in the UK, as its free. :)

Feb 2005 - Met online through brit band doves

Dec 15th 2005 - Met for first time at U2 concert in NE, USA

Apr 30 2008 K1 Interview Approved

Dec 11 2008 AOS approved

Dec 18 2008 Permanent Resident card received

Oct 22 2010 ROC NOA 1 Received

Jan 31 2011 ROC Approved

Doves Music Blog / Doves Official

Yes its a good idea to get the vaccinations done ahead of the medical. I got mine done on the NHS for free. Just remember to have your gp give you a copy of your vaccinations record, so that you can take with you to the medical.

You can wait til you move to the US to have them done. But of course you would have to pay to have them done. Just as well doing them in the UK, as its free. :)

Thanks.

I'll have them done over the coming months. Are they good to go for a few years? Also, which ones are required?

And Dooley, I'll skip the extra process to petition against vaccinations. I've had most of them as a child and they never did me any harm. Plus I'm not going too spend any extra money or time on something that isn't too important to me.

Injections are for health reasons and I might as well get them done while I have the NHS available. :)

As a female under the age of 27 you'll require the TDaP, the MMR and the HPV vaccine. The TDaP and MMR you should be able to have done on the NHS for free - I was - and you'll want to check with your GP to see if they're actually required (if you had a booster recently they may not be necessary). The HPV isn't available on the NHS yet and although your GP should be able to obtain it for you (mine was) you'll have to pay for it - I was charged £179 for two injections out of three (I'll have to have the third done when I'm in the US, as it's a six month course). You'll also want to double-check that the P in the TDaP you receive stands for Pertussis, and not Polio. Mine definitely did; the nurse clarified for me that it also contained polio, but that the pertussis was most definitely present. :)

EDIT: Chart of required vaccinations

Edited by Alex & Rachel

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thank you very much. :)

I had MMR when I was a child and a Tetanus when I was around 14/15 so I might not need them again.

I think the Tetanus is due every 10 years. Is worth checking though. Am also going to see if the NHS will do the HPV for free as there are a couple of VJr's who have managed to get it for free. Is always worth asking.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello-

I wanted to add that my fiance took care of all his shots at his local doctor for free. We're not approved yet, but we thought it would be a good idea to take care of anything we can (police report and other documentation that he will need).

On another note, I would like to comment that although certain people are biased on their opinions against vaccinations, it's not fair to implement the bias on others. Thimerosal (an organic molecue containing a mercury substituent) used to be used as a vaccine preservative and antiseptic solution, but is not used anymore in the US or European Union. Risks with vaccinations may have been more prevalent years back, but those risks have subsequently subsided. Pure mercury does have an adverse effect on the brain, and is in fact toxic. But molecules with mercury substituents are not all bad, and found naturally (e.g. seafood which contains minute levels of methyl mercury).

Thank you for reading :)

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hello-

I wanted to add that my fiance took care of all his shots at his local doctor for free. We're not approved yet, but we thought it would be a good idea to take care of anything we can (police report and other documentation that he will need).

On another note, I would like to comment that although certain people are biased on their opinions against vaccinations, it's not fair to implement the bias on others. Thimerosal (an organic molecue containing a mercury substituent) used to be used as a vaccine preservative and antiseptic solution, but is not used anymore in the US or European Union. Risks with vaccinations may have been more prevalent years back, but those risks have subsequently subsided. Pure mercury does have an adverse effect on the brain, and is in fact toxic. But molecules with mercury substituents are not all bad, and found naturally (e.g. seafood which contains minute levels of methyl mercury).

Thank you for reading :)

Well said :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.