one...two...tree

Your Favorite Fiction Books: Recommended Reading

34 posts in this topic

i agree, in regards to i am legend.......also, the Road is an interesting read.....

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I also really like The Warhound and the World's Pain by Michael Moorcock, and The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - but as both have been out of print here for a while - I'd be surprised if many people have heard of them.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kuwait
Timeline

One of my all time favorite is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I am now reading Under a Cruel Star, excellent read.

A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

thquitsmoking3.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Yay....thanks Steven for starting this thread!!

my top 5:

1. Empire Falls by Richard Russo

2. The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher

3. The Stand by Stephen king

4. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

5. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

"We are the real countries,

Not the boundaries drawn on maps,

With the names of powerful men.

That's all I've wanted -

To walk in such a place with you,

On an earth without maps."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kev (Canada/BC) & Kiki (USA/Oregon)

flag_usa_canada.gif

Married Nov. 27th, 2004

Done with USCIS until 2017!!

collage4.jpg

olivia12mo2.jpg

My favourites keep changing but I'll recommend a book that left an impression on me although it's a long time since I read it:

The bridal canopy

by Shmuel Yosef Agnon

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Timeline

Assassin's trilogy by Robin Hobb (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin & Assassin's Quest)

The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold

Booked to Die by John Durham

100 Years of Solitude by El Gabo

Like Water for Chocoalte by Laura Esquivel

The Neverending Story by Michael Ende

I'll think of some more.

five people you meet in heaven - mitch albom

for one more day - mitch albom

da vinci code - dan brown

the partner - john grisham

love story - erich segal

the count of monte cristo - alexandre dumas

Naturalization

Sent N-400 Application....................................... Dec  5 2016

NOA1.................................................................. Dec 13 2016

Biometrics @ St Louis  ...................................... Jan 11 2017

Received Interview Letter .................................. Jun 10 2017 

Interview Scheduled in Chicago, IL ................... Jul 11 2017

Oath Ceremony in Peoria, IL .............................. Sep 20 2017

Outlander Series (Outlander, Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes) - Diana Gabaldon

Kushiel's Legacy Series (Kushiel's Dart, Kushiel's Chosen, Kushies's Avatar, Kushiel's Scion, Kushiel's Justice and Kushiel's Mercy) - Jacqueline Carey

Both series are awesome, and long enough to keep one reading for a wile....they're each 'meaty' tomes. :)

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
I Am Legend has continually disappointed whenever its been adapted into a feature film. The film-makers always ####### it up by changing the ending.

I saw 'I am Legend' and recently watched 'The Last Man on Earth' with Vincent Price. Different endings to one another. How does the book end, then?

(Effects were obviously better in the Will Smith version - except the zombies - but I preferred the earlier one.)

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I am reading "A Million little Pieces" by James Frey. I was cringing while reading it last night. When a book speaks to me like that, it's a keeper.

Maybe you're reading it despite all the hoop-la about it a few years ago? I bought it when it first came out. Having dealt with addictive behaviours for years, I found some of it didn't add up. Before I finished it, the truth came out. I'm sorry I supported this author's endeavour to milk people out of money. I detest liars. On the other hand, he's since written some fiction, and it's very good. He's a story teller, that's for sure!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0104061jamesfrey1.html

Yeah, I remember the whole Oprah scandel. I am reading it now cause I got it for a quarter at a recent yard sale.

I didn't go into it thinking it was a true tale, so that part is not bothering me. If it's stuff that didnt' really happen to him, he is a wonderful story teller. Very descriptive.

Have you ever read "A Piece of Cake" by Cupcake Brown? It's supposed to be a true tale. I have my doubts. Seriously, some of it is so far out there, I have trouble believing it. It is a great tale, nonetheless.

That whole scandal didn't bother me. True or not, it was a good read. I enjoyed "My friend Lenny" as well.

Aztec

The Journeyor

Raptor

All three are by Gary Jennings. I've read each too many times to count over the years just because they are that good. EXCELLENT historical fiction novels!

I really enjoyed reading Lonesome Dove, too.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Martian Chronicles

On the Road

The Dharma Bums

Invisible Monsters

Survivor (also by Palahniuk)

Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Aztec

The Journeyor

Raptor

All three are by Gary Jennings. I've read each too many times to count over the years just because they are that good. EXCELLENT historical fiction novels!

I really enjoyed reading Lonesome Dove, too.

same here..i liked his style..did not get into Spangle....but the others were great

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Russka ..Edward Rutherfurd

:thumbs: I whole-heartedly second this recommendation!

I recently finished the Count of Monte Cristo; that was another long but very worth-while read.

The Time Traveler's Wife (by Audrey Niffenegger) and The Shadow of the Wind (by Carlos Ruiz Zafon) are two books that I'm a little hesitant to recommend just because they've been recommended by high-profile book clubs and have perhaps been over-exposed, but ah, what the hell, I really, really enjoyed both of them. Another favourite of recent years is Carter Beats the Devil (by Glen David Gold).

Death and the Penguin (by Andrey Kurkov) is a favourite and actually one I've bought for all of my friends and family (dad, brother, Alex, and a few others). They've all loved it too.

sharasugar.pngsharanomsugar.png

07/11/2006 - First met

08/22/2008 - K1 Visa in hand

12/27/2008 - Marriage

05/20/2009 - AOS complete

10/06/2011 - ROC complete

04/20/2012 - Annaleah born!