Johana&Jared

Getting married after visa has expired or calling off engagement

49 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello!

Do not over stay coz it might cause you problems...about your fiancee since your not that sure to marry him better get back to your home country or try to work in your relationship if you think he change already....but becareful and listen to your heart....

Take Care always!

NoandJo

You assume too much, my visa hasn't expired yet, and I actually have already bought the ticket to return to my country, the ticket is bought for tomorrow, so don't assume too much without reading carefully.

We got a marriage license today and were told we could go to see a judge tomorrow and ask for a waiver so we can get married during the 90 days of my K1 visa.

So which did you decide on? One of your posts said that you bought the ticket to go home, than 30 minutes later that you guys are deciding to get married?

90 days is a short period of time, but its short for a reason. Its just to come to get married. Some people have relationship or adjusting issues and then the getting married part gets put off. Its cause the relationship wasn't ready, still needed some working on, or perhaps changes evolved with a country switch. We all know its no piece of cake.

Personally, I don't think people should change for marriage. If they do, they resent it and go back to their old ways anyway in a matter of time. I think that's why we have such a high divorce rate. You should be able to be who you want to be, the more contstraints a relationship puts on you, the more chances it will fail.

Good luck to the OP in whatever you decide. Personally, I'd go home. :star:

Met in person: January 8, 2006

Marriage: San Juan (Civil wedding) : 2007-07-17

I-130: Sent: 2007-10-21

I-130: NOA1: 2008-01-15

I-129F: Sent: 2008-02-11

I-129F: NOA1: 2008-02-12

I-129F: Touched: 2008-04-08

I-129F: Touched: 2008-04-09

I-130: Touched: 2008-05-01

I-130: Touched: 2008-05-02

I-130: Touched (approval): 2008-06-23

I-129F: Touched (approval): 2008-06-23

I-130: Touched (E-mail Receive from USCIS that letter sent to NVC): 2008-06-24

I-129F: Touched(E-mail Receive from USCIS that letter sent to NVC): 2008-06-24

07-08-2008: Got letter from NVC about my IR130.

07-15-08: K3 Letter Receive from the U.S Embassy...

07-22-2008: Pay Delbros Verification fee

08-04-2008: MEDICAL at St. Lukes

08-19-2008: Schedule for Visa appointment interview...

08-19-2008: WE GOT PINK SLIP!

08-21-2008: VISA RECEIVED (DELBROS DELIVERY)

08-21-2008: CFO stamping Done

09-18-2008: Flight

POE: Detroit

09-20-2008: DS230 send in NVC

I love you mylove :-*

A.O.S TIMELINE:

09-18-2008: ARRIVAL in New Jesey

10-13-2008: Medical for AOS Done

12-26-2008: NOA RECEIVED

01-20-2009: BIOMETRIC

03-10-2009: EAD APPROVAL NOTICE SENT

03-23-2009: EAD Receive

03-23-2009: Applied SSN

03-25-2009: INTERVIEW SCHEDULE FOR AOS

03-25-2009: Interview Approved

03-29-2009: SSN card Receive

06-10-2009: RFE- Vaccine Waive due to pregnancy

06-19-2009: Welcome Letter Arrived

07-08-2009: Greencard Received

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Joha im sad you went thru all of this!

I hope things get better....

good luck

Hello!

Do not over stay coz it might cause you problems...about your fiancee since your not that sure to marry him better get back to your home country or try to work in your relationship if you think he change already....but becareful and listen to your heart....

Take Care always!

NoandJo

You assume too much, my visa hasn't expired yet, and I actually have already bought the ticket to return to my country, the ticket is bought for tomorrow, so don't assume too much without reading carefully.

We got a marriage license today and were told we could go to see a judge tomorrow and ask for a waiver so we can get married during the 90 days of my K1 visa.

So which did you decide on? One of your posts said that you bought the ticket to go home, than 30 minutes later that you guys are deciding to get married?

90 days is a short period of time, but its short for a reason. Its just to come to get married. Some people have relationship or adjusting issues and then the getting married part gets put off. Its cause the relationship wasn't ready, still needed some working on, or perhaps changes evolved with a country switch. We all know its no piece of cake.

Personally, I don't think people should change for marriage. If they do, they resent it and go back to their old ways anyway in a matter of time. I think that's why we have such a high divorce rate. You should be able to be who you want to be, the more contstraints a relationship puts on you, the more chances it will fail.

Good luck to the OP in whatever you decide. Personally, I'd go home. :star:

Visa I 130 for Step Daughter

Sept 2010-- Getting documents ready. sent BC out for translation.

March 1st 2012-- Sent documents to USCIS

June 15th 2012 EMAIL OF APPROVAL !!

Dec 15th 2012 -- Interview scheduled ( 1-23-2013)

Jan 9th 2013--Medical Exam

Filed: Timeline
Hi everybody. I assume this might not happen so frequently, but I do not longer know if getting married is the right thing to do or not. I'd rather not to dwell that much into this, but as soon after I arrived into the US, after almost 2 years of being in a relationship with my fiance, things change. He wasn't nice to me, actually, he was cruel and mean in many ways, and I got sick of this. After two months and a huge fight, I couldn't put up with his attitude anymore and I broke up with him and flew to Chicago and Maryland, to see a friend and my aunt there and recover from the break up. As soon as I returned to Dallas (my back then ex fiance lives in Houston, TX), he came to Dallas, to where I was staying, and asked me for forgiveness, saying he had changed. It broke my heart because he seemed to mean every word, and I missed him and hated the way things turned out to be, so I forgave him and came back to live with him in Houston. However, I told him I didn't trust him like before, and I still wanted to return home and finish my studies. I am an archaeology student and am in third year, in my country, and therefore have 2 years left. Mi K1 expires on July 25th, and ever since I got back with my fiance, he tells me he wants to me my husband badly. He seems to have changed, now he's the nicest guy in the world, and we stopped having daily arguments. However, I have only been with him 11 days, after I forgave him and came back... friends say it might be a trick and lie to get me back and then cause me to live in hell! However, I love him and feel that he loves me, but I'm uncertain about the marriage. He insists he wants to be my husband... but we're running out of time! so if I accept him, we'd pretty much get married a few days after my visa has expired. How bad does this affect us? getting married after my K1 has expired, for a few days... this situation sucks, and I really hate the government for the few months they grant to engaged couples. I really wish I could get to spend more time with him, my biggest fear is to call the marriage off and once in my country, miss him badly and just want to be with him, or also, in case he has really changed, my fears are to think I could have left a good man go! anyway, any advice on the matter?

Greetings.

RUN! RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent 8 years as a friend to my husband, and married 2 years ago come October. I thought I knew him well. 10 years?

Your story, although some differences, repeats to me what I already knew in my heart when it started falling apart. You know it, too.

Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and move forward.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Don't get married if you're not sure, it's NEVER good. If he loves you he'll understand, and you can always file your petition later. I for example, had my boyfriend wait for me for almost two years (he's the best :wub: ), and only now, after I've finished my career we started to file everything, so while the case is processed i'm getting done with my thesis.

You can't rush with these things, and doing paperwork again is nothing compared to a marriage that shouldn't be.

Good luck!

Edited by Tarumba

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.