Unruly Gal

K1 Visa Questions

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi all --

I'm beginning to prepare the I-129F packet and had a couple of questions for my yardie family. Y'all are such a wealth of info, I thought I would come directly to the sourece. So here goes...

- What is the A# (it asks for it on Part B., question 9)? Does JA have national identification number (similiar to our SSN#) that I should include?

- On the G-325 when I print out the form it gives me 4 copies of the same form. Do I need to fill out all 4 copies for each of us?

- Does my SO need to provide a copy of his birth certificate also?

- What is a non-impediement form? I've seen that on other posts, but unsure of what it is.

- Just so I'm clear that I-129F packet includes the following:

* I-129F form

*G325 for me and my SO

* Passport photos of the post of us

* Letters of intent from the both of us

*Copies of evidence that we've met within the last two years (will copies of trip itineraries and photos suffice)

Am I missing anything?

- Also, is there anything I should be telling my SO to start gathering as we prepare the form and wait for the next steps? He called me today to say he thinks he has his vaccination card, but I think I read on this forum that there may be a new vaccination card that is required now. Any help is appreciated

Thanks, all for your help. I'm sure I'll be leaning on you for your guidance as we officially begin the process.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Unruly, i see you did take the weekend to prepare, so how soon do you and your SO plan to file. Im wondering if it would help me to get all my stuff in order, or should i wait till January like i initially planned.

Timeline
Unruly, i see you did take the weekend to prepare, so how soon do you and your SO plan to file. Im wondering if it would help me to get all my stuff in order, or should i wait till January like i initially planned.

Yeah, we decided to start the process either next month or in September. So I'm just trying to figure out all the work that needs to be done....my head is spinning already :wacko: .

As you know, I'm not a big proponent of rushing into anything :) I say start pulling together a little info here and there so that you can hit the ground running when you do decide to file.

Timeline
Hi all --

I'm beginning to prepare the I-129F packet and had a couple of questions for my yardie family. Y'all are such a wealth of info, I thought I would come directly to the sourece. So here goes...

- What is the A# (it asks for it on Part B., question 9)? Does JA have national identification number (similiar to our SSN#) that I should include?
He doesn't get this until after you file. Write N/A in there for now.

- On the G-325 when I print out the form it gives me 4 copies of the same form. Do I need to fill out all 4 copies for each of us?
Yes, you need all 4 on each of you. Look at the bottom of the forms....they are all labeled differently. It's best to fill them out with the online feature. Then, all 4 will print out at once, identical for you

Yes

- What is a non-impediement form? I've seen that on other posts, but unsure of what it is.
It is the form he must get that says he is free to marry you.

* I-129F form

*G325 for me and my SO

*Copies of evidence that we've met within the last two years (will copies of trip itineraries and photos suffice)
Yes. It can be very little evidence at this point. Much more is needed later

Am I missing anything?

- Also, is there anything I should be telling my SO to start gathering as we prepare the form and wait for the next steps? He called me today to say he thinks he has his vaccination card, but I think I read on this forum that there may be a new vaccination card that is required now. Any help is appreciated

Thanks, all for your help. I'm sure I'll be leaning on you for your guidance as we officially begin the process.

Yes, have him gather a new birth certificate if he has the old one. Have him get a couple of copies.

If his passport is going to expire within the next 2 years, I would have him renew.

Have him look for that vaccination card very hard.

If he can start saving some money, he should. The little expenses will eat you alive.

If he has to go get some visa photos, have him get at least 8-10 of them. He'll need them for the future.

Good luck.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

Thanks, JG! As I always say... you are the bomb!!! This is very helpful -- especially the tip about getting extra photos. Any little tips that can save us headaches -- big or small-- is extremely helpful. Yes, we are both on a budget and trying to save money. We've outlined the major expenses and have decided to divide them in half as much as we can right now.

Re: the vacciation card -- am I right to assume that if he doesn't find it he'll have to get vaccinated all over again, right? If so, which shots will he need -- is there a link on the USCIS web site that provides this info?

Also, what's the difference between the new birth certificate and the old one? I'm pretty sure he has the old one, but I know I'm going need to explain to him the difference -- I know he's going to ask.

Timeline

Unruly, congrats on starting this next step in your journey.

the non-impediment form is from the Register General's Dept and it just verifies that your SO is not currently married fulfilling the free and willing to married obligation.

The G-325 form can be completed on the computer (embassy prefers this) and it automatically prints out 4 copies for each of you. Although it contains basically the same info, it is coded on the bottom for different departments in immigration.

The difference between the old and new birth certs is that the old one is usually written and is on short paper and the new one is longer and has an official seal and typed/printed. He should start getting those two right now if he does not already have it cause it takes a while. His police report/certificate is needed also and this is good for one year so you can decide when he applies for it. They have a 3-day service or a 21-day service and he will need his passport and 2 extra passport pics when he is applying.

Good luck.

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

Thanks, Clairern. Very helpful.

So I'm assuming the non-impediment form, the police certificate, my SO birth certificate, and the vaccination records, and probably a whole host of other documents are required in following packages and not in this initial I-129F package, correct?

I warned y'all I had a lot of questions :unsure: , so thanks in advance for your help. This site is a sent from heaven!

Timeline
Thanks, Clairern. Very helpful.

So I'm assuming the non-impediment form, the police certificate, my SO birth certificate, and the vaccination records, and probably a whole host of other documents are required in following packages and not in this initial I-129F package, correct?

I warned y'all I had a lot of questions :unsure: , so thanks in advance for your help. This site is a sent from heaven!

That is correct.

I suggest he goes and gets that birth paper....at least 2 copies....NOW. And, if he needs to renew his passport....IMMEDIATELY.

The non-impediment and police record I would wait till NOA2 is received. They only take a few weeks at the most to get. You do not want to get them too early and have the K-1 approval process hold up for any one of a million reasons beyond your control. I have seen some expire. So hang tight on those.

If he does not have his vaccination record, you can search the forms to see what he might need. There should be a current vaccination sheet somewhere on this forum. If not, you can ask Gill or Tre as they just went through. I think Tre said she saved it. I sent Andre to his local clinic with his vaccination record from his childhood. He told the nurse he was going for a visa and she knew exactly what he needed and gave it to him at the clinic prices. I always suggest going to get them at a local clinic rather then the very expensive shots they give at the visa medical exam.

In case I forget later.......I suggest he bring with him to the USA:

An extra birth certificate

His high school diploma

vaccination records

A letter of recommendation from his current employer is helpful

We also used the police report when Andre was initially applying for jobs in the US.

These can all be collected along the way. It's just that they have been important in the US. Dont' worry about them this minute. Tuck it away for future reference!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

In case you didn't know, UG....

at the top of this page is a tab marked "GUIDES". They will be very helpful for you to look at and follow.

Here is an example of what you will find there....

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k1guide

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Hi all --

* I-129F form

*G325 for me and my SO

Am I missing anything?

Here is a link about the new birth certificates. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1804098

Like JG said don't get the non-impediment and police record yet. The police record is only good for 3 months now so it would just be a waste of money. Use the guides on here and it will tell you exactly how to set it up.

Good luck! And welcome to the wait of your life......... (F) I have never had anything test my patience as much as this process.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

Timeline

Honey - I'm of the mind set of don't put off to tomorrow what you can do today. It will take some time to bounce the papers back and forth between here and JA so it certainly doesn't hurt to start working on it. Also, the paperwork can be a bit daunting on the first look through so spend some time with it. This is a great site to get all the information and examples you need.

And remember, USCIS has their own time frame. File when you are ready, and sit back and wait.

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger....

Timeline

Thanks JG and Islandwoman --

I know I keep saying it, but this site is a God send. I wouldn't even think of half of the things y'all are telling me to do to prepare. I'm reading the guides and they are helpful, but these little tips y'all are providing are truly helpful.

I spoke with my SO last night and asked him about the birth certificate and surprise, surprise he has the new version-- three copies at that. I forgot that he needed that for the tourist visa he applied for a while back. I gave him a big kiss (over the phone) because I was relieved. He's off to look for the vaccination record -- he thinks his Mom has it because as he put it "I was always at the drs. when I was likkle with cuts and scrapes, so my Mom was pulling that card out at every visit. And she saves everything." I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she has it.

Thanks, ladies.

Timeline
Thanks JG and Islandwoman --

I know I keep saying it, but this site is a God send. I wouldn't even think of half of the things y'all are telling me to do to prepare. I'm reading the guides and they are helpful, but these little tips y'all are providing are truly helpful.

I spoke with my SO last night and asked him about the birth certificate and surprise, surprise he has the new version-- three copies at that. I forgot that he needed that for the tourist visa he applied for a while back. I gave him a big kiss (over the phone) because I was relieved. He's off to look for the vaccination record -- he thinks his Mom has it because as he put it "I was always at the drs. when I was likkle with cuts and scrapes, so my Mom was pulling that card out at every visit. And she saves everything." I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she has it.

Thanks, ladies.

You are on your way then. Good for you!

I know you are kind of freaking out now. Take everything one step at a time. You will be just fine.

I file for LOC (Andre's 10 year green card) a week from Saturday. You would not believe the stuff I have saved for it....I swear I have 5 lbs. of paperwork to mail in. At this point, when I thought I would be bouncing off the walls with nerves, I am incredibly calm.

It does get better. Just hang in there.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Hi all --

* I-129F form

*G325 for me and my SO

Am I missing anything?

Here is a link about the new birth certificates. http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...p;#entry1804098

Like JG said don't get the non-impediment and police record yet. The police record is only good for 3 months now so it would just be a waste of money. Use the guides on here and it will tell you exactly how to set it up.

Good luck! And welcome to the wait of your life......... (F) I have never had anything test my patience as much as this process.

When Mike had his interview in May/June he was told that the police record was valid for one year. Has that changed recently?

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

I think the police record is good for a year too.

I only said to wait on it cause I have seen some crazy things happen to delay. I just hate to jinx it one bit. Since it's not required till later in the process, I always suggest waiting.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.