auroralime

What to do while waiting for EAD?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Well, I'm looking ahead to the future and wondering if anyone has any advice about what to do, finiancially that is, while you're waiting for your EAD to go through?

I'm assuming your partner's affidavit of support comes into play here, seeing as though untill you get your EAD, you'll be living off their savings/earnings.

I'd hate to jepordize anything by working under the table. (it jsut wouldn't be worth it if I got sent back, haha)

What about your free time? if you have to wait approx. 90 days to get your EAD, you'd have a lot of time on your hands.

anyone have any experiences in this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have the same concerns, lol :) Been a bit of a workaholic, I can't imagine spending so much time without a job. Here are some suggestions as what to do to stay busy:

1. Redecorate and unpack. I am really looking forward to turning D's bachelor pad into our home

2. Adjust to location. Find were things are.

3. Make friends

4. Take driving lessons (that is if you don't drive yet :))

5. Map out a job hunting plan, create resume and search local listings

6. Take care of your SO aka the provider for the time being ;)

7829087.gif

07-22-2006 Met in Florida

09-02-2006 Been together ever since

12-09-2007 My visa expired, trip back home

01-16-2008 Dave visited me in Ukraine

04-22-2008 I-129F mailed out to Vermont

05-20-2008 I-129F returned

05-22-2008 Second attempt at filing I-129F

05-23-2008 Received by Mr. Novak

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

06-09-2008 Touched (Yay, violated for the 1st time)

07-02-2008 Touched again!!!

07-03-2008 Touched again!!!

08-29-2008 Dave's 2nd trip to Ukraine!

09-25-2008 NOA2 (126 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

10-02-2008 Noa2 hardcopy in the mail

10-03-2008 Embassy Received

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

11-17-2008 Flight to Orlando :)

Thanks for those great tips :)

I've always wanted to try being the housewife for a while, but not beucase I didn't have other options. haha

I'd probably also be able to find some voluenteer poitions in teaching maybe, that could hopefully give me a lead in to a job in the future :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've always wanted to try being the housewife for a while, but not beucase I didn't have other options. haha

I'd probably also be able to find some voluenteer poitions in teaching maybe, that could hopefully give me a lead in to a job in the future :)

Are you not able or allowed to create your own work? Meaning for instance I am very good with computers and could easily take some side jobs as a computer tech. I don't need an employer for this as it would be just me by myself travelling to homes and small businesses helping them with their computers. I wouldn't have my work visa yet so can't legally be employed by an employer but I could still be making money which I would then declare on taxes later in the year.

• March 25, 2008 Sent off I-129f
  • March 27, 2008 I-129f arrived at Vermont Center
  • March 28, 2008 Received and date of NOA1
  • April 3, 2008 Received NOA1 in mail-9 days since mailed off I-129f
  • April 18, 2008 Touched!
  • June 26, 2008 NOA2!!!- (email) 93 days since mailed off I-129F
  • July 2, 2008 NOA2 in mail
  • July 9, 2008 NVC received packet
  • July 14, 2008 Montreal receives packet.
  • July 21, 2008 Roger received Packet 3
  • August 1, 2008 Roger mailed off Packet 3 to Montreal
  • August 6, 2008 Packet 3 received in the morning at Montreal Consulate
  • August 11, 2008 Medical in Toronto
  • September 18, 2008 Received Packet 4 Interview letter
  • October 14, 2008 K1 Visa Interview Date
  • November 18, 2008 Crossed Port Huron border YAY
  • December 27, 2009 Married!
  • February 3, 2009 Mailed off AOS
  • February 9, 2009 AOS Checked cashed!
  • March 4, 2009 Biometrics Completed!
  • March 30, 2009 AP Approved
  • April 2, 2009 EAD Approved and card printing ordered
  • Received Permanent Resident card but no passport stamp.

Timeline

Here you go, looks like USCIS is giving you a chance to try a new role :). Trust me, with all adjusting and settling in, those three months will be a breather. For once, I'm looking forward to the "homey" stuff. After been away from each other for so long, it might be good to be there every time hubby comes home to a cooked meal and a clean house :).

7829087.gif

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline
Well, I'm looking ahead to the future and wondering if anyone has any advice about what to do, finiancially that is, while you're waiting for your EAD to go through?

I'm assuming your partner's affidavit of support comes into play here, seeing as though untill you get your EAD, you'll be living off their savings/earnings.

I'd hate to jepordize anything by working under the table. (it jsut wouldn't be worth it if I got sent back, haha)

What about your free time? if you have to wait approx. 90 days to get your EAD, you'd have a lot of time on your hands.

Your partner should expect to support you, of course, not just because of an affidavit... Then there are filing fees to pay, and so on, even before beginning to wait through the 90 days. A medical exam and such costing $500 if you are applying for a green card at the same time as the EAD (it's cheaper that way)

Are you not able or allowed to create your own work? Meaning for instance I am very good with computers and could easily take some side jobs as a computer tech. I don't need an employer for this as it would be just me by myself travelling to homes and small businesses helping them with their computers. I wouldn't have my work visa yet so can't legally be employed by an employer but I could still be making money which I would then declare on taxes later in the year.

that's what I'm wondering. Is that legal? to be working under the table like that?

Your partner should expect to support you, of course, not just because of an affidavit... Then there are filing fees to pay, and so on, even before beginning to wait through the 90 days. A medical exam and such costing $500 if you are applying for a green card at the same time as the EAD (it's cheaper that way)

Oh, we both know he'll be the one supporting, but it's not like we're financially ahead. After all the fees, and a very very modest wedding, it would be nice to be able to bring in some extra money as well. We'll both be working off of our savings, for this time, and I've got student loans I would like to pay part off before I come down.

It's likely that because I'm finished university in december, and we havn't even filed our I-129F yet, that I'll be in Canada for a few extra months after graduating, when I'll be able to work full time.

I meant more that the government would assume you would be living off your partner's money because of the proof of the affidavit. (other wise, they'd either let you work without it (the EAD), or have another sponsor.)

that's what I'm wondering. Is that legal? to be working under the table like that?

No, it's not legal.

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
No, it's not legal.

I thought as much :unsure:

7829087.gif

05-29-2008 NOA1 (6 days)

09-26-2008 Touched

09-??-2008 NVC Received

09-30-2008 NVC Left

11-05-2008 Medical

11-07-2008 Interview

11-14-2008 Visa Received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

The EAD is the temporary work card, this is while you wait for the Green Card. The Green Card makes you legal to work in the US without having to show the EAD. As a matter of fact the EAD is most of times valid until your Green Card has been approved and issued.

While you wait you can't work. Don't risk it to work under the tables, if you get cought you're most likely to be thrown out of the country.

I've been waiting since May 15 when I entered the US. So I'll have to wait until my papers go through.

One thing to keep in mind: Permits and Green Card proccessing times can vary depending on;

1. Country of Origin

2. Background Checks

3. Load of inmigrants from your country over the past year

4. Workload

5. Just luck!

The inmigrant number of the given country will tell you more or less your waiting time. Ex: Last year the Asian rank on the top two inmigrant numbers while Europeans rank the lowest.

I'm being a HOUSE HUSBAND while I wait: I clean, cook, iron, wash, and watch tv.

I also made my resume to US Standards and have been checking out job sites.

Hope it helps.

Don't let the choices chose you, chose the choices that you want.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline
I may be wrong but I heard or read somewhere that you can get a temp work permit while waiting for the EAD. Anybody else heard of this?

when you arrive at the POE they can give you a stamp which allows you to work for the 90 days that your K-1 is valid. It only really is good if you marry right away and send in your AOS packet otherwise there is a gap when the stamp expires and you get your greencard. Why pay for the EAD if you marry right away... USCIS doesn't make it easy

Emmett Fitz-Hume: I'm sorry I'm late, I had to attend the reading of a will. I had to stay till the very end, and I found out I received nothing... broke my arm.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

No, it's not legal.

hmmm a couple years ago she went to a lawyer and asked this question. He said it wasn't illegal for me to work, but it's illegal for an employer to hire me. If I was to do odd jobs or have my own work then it would not be illegal. Has this changed?

Edited by ChasingAmy
  • March 25, 2008 Sent off I-129f
  • March 27, 2008 I-129f arrived at Vermont Center
  • March 28, 2008 Received and date of NOA1
  • April 3, 2008 Received NOA1 in mail-9 days since mailed off I-129f
  • April 18, 2008 Touched!
  • June 26, 2008 NOA2!!!- (email) 93 days since mailed off I-129F
  • July 2, 2008 NOA2 in mail
  • July 9, 2008 NVC received packet
  • July 14, 2008 Montreal receives packet.
  • July 21, 2008 Roger received Packet 3
  • August 1, 2008 Roger mailed off Packet 3 to Montreal
  • August 6, 2008 Packet 3 received in the morning at Montreal Consulate
  • August 11, 2008 Medical in Toronto
  • September 18, 2008 Received Packet 4 Interview letter
  • October 14, 2008 K1 Visa Interview Date
  • November 18, 2008 Crossed Port Huron border YAY
  • December 27, 2009 Married!
  • February 3, 2009 Mailed off AOS
  • February 9, 2009 AOS Checked cashed!
  • March 4, 2009 Biometrics Completed!
  • March 30, 2009 AP Approved
  • April 2, 2009 EAD Approved and card printing ordered
  • Received Permanent Resident card but no passport stamp.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.