w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

President Bush to address the nation on Monday about Immigration

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

WASHINGTON - President Bush plans to address the nation Monday night on the immigration debate, trying to build momentum for legislation that could provide millions of illegal immigrants a chance to become American citizens.

The White House said it was seeking time from television networks for the president's remarks.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060512/ap_on_...h_immigration_2

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still want to build a fence. We can still give people visas but it will be on our terms. Not theirs.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

I still want to build a fence. We can still give people visas but it will be on our terms. Not theirs.

Unfortunately, what you and I and the majority of America wants matters little on this issue. An amnesty is coming, illegals will be rewarded for pissing on the law and more illegals will follow thereafter to await the next one due in 10 years. It's history literally repeating itself.

Yes, let nothing get in the way of employers' rights to hire a cheap, easily exploitable labor force, who can be intimidated into accepting low wages and unhealthy working conditions, and then claim that Americans won't do those jobs.

Right on, Bush. Gah, why can't you be clearing brush in Crawford full time?

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Unfortunately, what you and I and the majority of America wants matters little on this issue. An amnesty is coming, illegals will be rewarded for pissing on the law and more illegals will follow thereafter to await the next one due in 10 years. It's history literally repeating itself.

Illegals will fill the void. As long as people hire them.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

I am not wasting my time watching. What would be the point? He will do what he wants to do anyways. It doesn't matter what we want. :angry:

K-1 Process

---------------------------

April 20, 2006 - Filed I-129F (Ahhhhh finally!)

July 31, 2006 - APPROVED!

September 28, 2006 - Interview!

September 29, 2006 - VISA in hand!

October 14, 2006 - WEDDING DATE!

AOS & EAD Process

----------------------------

December 26, 2006 - Darcy's last day of employment on his 90-day work authorization. Bummer!

December 27, 2006 - Filed AOS and EAD paperwork

January 3, 2006 - Receipt date of NOA1

January 11, 2007 - 'touched'

January 17, 2007 - transferred to CSC

January 19, 2007 - biometrics appointment

January 22, 2007 - 'touched'

January 23, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

January 24, 2007 - 'touched'

January 31, 2007 - 'AOS touched'

February 1, 2007 - GREEN CARD ORDERED!!!

February 5, 2007 - Received Welcome Letter

February 11, 2007 - received GREEN CARD!!

Lifting Conditions

----------------------------

December 31, 2008 - filed I-751

January 10, 2009 - received 1-year extension letter

January 28, 2009 - biometrics

February 13, 2009 - 10-year green card ordered

I am not wasting my time watching. What would be the point? He will do what he wants to do anyways. It doesn't matter what we want. :angry:

Interesting thing is, a President with a 30% approval rating wants a guest worker program and members of Congress are in line waiting to be the one to give it to him.

I just think this is not fair. I'm not against people coming to America at all...BUT do it the right way. I can't just sneak my fiance into the USA and then complain about her not being a citizen......I had to go through a LEGAL process as long as EVERYONE on this site...why everyone here get FREE citizenship??? To me it is like rewarding for breaking the laws.......NOT FAIR. This is a big political issue.....everyone thinking that if they do this then they are going to win peoples votes.......as I was told by someone wise..."The law has nothing to do with right or wrong."

As for companies hiring immigrants at $1 an hour or whatever...all that does is continue to destroy the economy of the USA....along with shipping jobs to other countries...it just all equates to lower paid/jobless consumers and high priced products for consumers with no jobs... :(

LET ME FURTHER CLARIFY!!! I do not mind people coming to the United States....ONLY there IS A PROCESS...that alot of us on this site are going through........NO FREEBIES...cmon.

Edited by Dr. J

Dr. J

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I wonder how many people who voted him in are kicking themselves now?

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

I do not mind people coming to the United States....ONLY there IS A PROCESS...that alot of us on this site are going through........NO FREEBIES...cmon.

Once upon a time, entering the US was much easier. Is it fair to say that they (they were mostly white, coincidentally) entered with few barriers and that's ok, but todays migrants (mostly not white, again, coincidentally) must navigate a maze of paperwork before they're allowed in?

/devils advocate

I wonder how many people who voted him in are kicking themselves now?

If Kerry was elected, you'd have more pandering to illegals, not less.

To paraphrase something peejay posted on this topic a few weeks/months ago.. Democrats pander to illegal aliens, Republicans pander to the businesses that thrive on them. Either way, to you and me, it makes little difference. They all the same on this issue.

Once upon a time, entering the US was much easier. Is it fair to say that they (they were mostly white, coincidentally) entered with few barriers and that's ok, but todays migrants (mostly not white, again, coincidentally) must navigate a maze of paperwork before they're allowed in?

/devils advocate

Nah, that's not really fair to say, Ari. Even highly-skilled, highly-educated workers (white or otherwise) have to deal with masses of paperwork. If anything, it's classist, not racist, because the system favors the well-educated and highly-skilled, no matter what their color/country of origin.

What I don't understand is how people can play the race card with illegal immigration when it's not like illegal immigration is this great gift to Hispanic peoples. Again, coming here to work in dangerous jobs for ####### wages under the legal radar is not a good deal. It's no different from how the only places that would hire Irish immigrants 100 years ago were coal mines—anyone here familiar with NINA?

Far better for the immigrants themselves would be to start with enforcement on employers and MAKE employers hire only legal workers at fair wages and with all proper job protections. Then the immigrants could come, legally and documented, and enjoy the rights that American workers also enjoy.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

/devils advocate

Nah, that's not really fair to say, Ari. Even highly-skilled, highly-educated workers (white or otherwise) have to deal with masses of paperwork. If anything, it's classist, not racist, because the system favors the well-educated and highly-skilled, no matter what their color/country of origin.

What I don't understand is how people can play the race card with illegal immigration when it's not like illegal immigration is this great gift to Hispanic peoples. Again, coming here to work in dangerous jobs for ####### wages under the legal radar is not a good deal. It's no different from how the only places that would hire Irish immigrants 100 years ago were coal mines—anyone here familiar with NINA?

Far better for the immigrants themselves would be to start with enforcement on employers and MAKE employers hire only legal workers at fair wages and with all proper job protections. Then the immigrants could come, legally and documented, and enjoy the rights that American workers also enjoy.

Yeah I've heard of NINA. Frankly, I believe this country is a million times better place to live today than it was 100 years ago (when most of the immigrants were white). But the thing that gnaws at me is this: there were minimal barriers to migrating here back then. You paid for and boarded a ship, prayed that the a##hole at Ellis Island let you in, and that's it. No worries about status, nothing. And now that most of the migration is from south of the border, Asia, South America... almost coincidentally there is now this huge government bureacracy we must al navigate. Why did this change? I'm not suggesting race is a factor but it does make me wonder.

-----------------------

New post

SOURCES: BUSH PLANS NATIONAL GUARD ON BORDER...

Breaking, on drudge.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

This should be interesting.... :no:

Tracy, where's the popcorn?! :huh:

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I just think this is not fair. I'm not against people coming to America at all...BUT do it the right way. I can't just sneak my fiance into the USA and then complain about her not being a citizen......I had to go through a LEGAL process as long as EVERYONE on this site...why everyone here get FREE citizenship??? To me it is like rewarding for breaking the laws.......NOT FAIR. This is a big political issue.....everyone thinking that if they do this then they are going to win peoples votes.......as I was told by someone wise..."The law has nothing to do with right or wrong."

As for companies hiring immigrants at $1 an hour or whatever...all that does is continue to destroy the economy of the USA....along with shipping jobs to other countries...it just all equates to lower paid/jobless consumers and high priced products for consumers with no jobs... :(

LET ME FURTHER CLARIFY!!! I do not mind people coming to the United States....ONLY there IS A PROCESS...that alot of us on this site are going through........NO FREEBIES...cmon.

Ok I can't believe this Dr. J, but I agree with you completely. Everyone welcome, but legally that needs to be the message. And if they get to do it FREE, then why do I have to pay?

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.