one...two...tree

Prejudice Towards Foreigners

Foreign Spouse: Have you experienced being mistreated while here in America?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Foreign Spouse: Have you experienced being mistreated while here in America?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm the USC
  2. 2. USC: Are you aware of your foreign spouse ever being mistreated here in America?

• Yes
    • No
    • I'm the Foreign Spouse
  3. 3. Which of the following do you think are mostly accurate. (multiple choice)

• There seems to be a backlash towards foreigners in general because of illegal immigration.
    • There seems to be a lot of discontent toward foreigners and not quite sure why.
    • There seems to be a lot of Americans fed up over illegal immigration and some of that spills over into how they treat all foreigners.
    • Some people are just rude and obnoxious so you can never really tell if they are prejudice towards foreigners
    • None of the above.

98 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

She's not here yet so I don't know what she'll experience on the topic. If we think somebody is making a big issue of it, one of us will explain she's a foreigner by birth but she's no illegal immigrant.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

no. but my life is pretty much military base, i do everything here, i work here, go to the gym, buy food, gasoline, everything, and half the peeps in here are foreigner so i'm just one of them.

* K1 Timeline *
* 04/07/06: I-129F Sent to NSC
* 10/02/06: Interview date - APPROVED!
* 10/10/06: POE Houston
* 11/25/06: Wedding day!!!

* AOS/EAD/AP Timeline *
*01/05/07: AOS/EAD/AP sent
*02/19/08: AOS approved
*02/27/08: Permanent Resident Card received

* LOC Timeline *
*12/31/09: Applied Lifting of Condition
*01/04/10: NOA
*02/12/10: Biometrics
*03/03/10: LOC approved
*03/11/10: 10 years green card received

* Naturalization Timeline *
*12/17/10: package sent
*12/29/10: NOA date
*01/19/11: biometrics
*04/12/11: interview
*04/15/11: approval letter
*05/13/11: Oath Ceremony - Officially done with Immigration.

Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Foreigners who don't speak English well get treated worse than those who do, IMHO.

I agree :thumbs:

My husband has never mentioned that he feels he is treated differently because he's a foreigner - maybe that is because there are so many in this area - I don't know.

He works with Pakistanis and Americans at work so he's not the only non-USC.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Yes, several times that I learned how to ignore them.

The first time I was untreated fairly was in a local library. I told my husband that we return the books we borrowed separately and there was a line. We waited our turn and when it was my turn, the librarian looked at me (actually stared from head to foot) and turned to my husband who was behind me and asked him to hand his books. The lady thought my husband and I weren't together. She then told me to use the computer and made a remark "you know how to use a computer right?". I smiled and just finished my business independently. She did not send anybody else from the long line to the computer desk. My husband and I have the same number of books. Fast forward to now, the lady librarian is cordial to me now and gives me compliments every time I drop by.

Another was when I was out in the morning for a jog, a guy in a flashy red sports car slowed down and seemed to follow me. It happened a few days after I got here. The guy scared the #### out of me. The guy smiled at me and said "hello, how are you? would you like a ride? i haven't seen you before.... I'm Mike. ". I did not smile or say anything, instead I called my husband (thank God I have my cellphone with me that time) and walked fast toward a fire station. The guy then left.

And at work.....

On the road......

There will always be jerks and rude people. I just have to protect myself and my interests, not just for me but for my husband's sake as well. I don't want him to get worried for me. He has enough worries at work.

But on the bright side, my encounters with nice people far outnumber the bad ones. I learned how to weed out the bad experiences from the good and try so hard not to let these things affect me.

ETA: I can't generalize that these people are being discriminatory. I think most of them are horny fucktards!

Edited by krakatoa

Yes, several times that I learned how to ignore them.

The first time I was untreated fairly was in a local library. I told my husband that we return the books we borrowed separately and there was a line. We waited our turn and when it was my turn, the librarian looked at me (actually stared from head to foot) and turned to my husband who was behind me and asked him to hand his books. The lady thought my husband and I weren't together. She then told me to use the computer and made a remark "you know how to use a computer right?". I smiled and just finished my business independently. She did not send anybody else from the long line to the computer desk. My husband and I have the same number of books. Fast forward to now, the lady librarian is cordial to me now and gives me compliments every time I drop by.

Another was when I was out in the morning for a jog, a guy in a flashy red sports car slowed down and seemed to follow me. It happened a few days after I got here. The guy scared the #### out of me. The guy smiled at me and said "hello, how are you? would you like a ride? i haven't seen you before.... I'm Mike. ". I did not smile or say anything, instead I called my husband (thank God I have my cellphone with me that time) and walked fast toward a fire station. The guy then left.

And at work.....

On the road......

There will always be jerks and rude people. I just have to protect myself and my interests, not just for me but for my husband's sake as well. I don't want him to get worried for me. He has enough worries at work.

But on the bright side, my encounters with nice people far outnumber the bad ones. I learned how to weed out the bad experiences from the good and try so hard not to let these things affect me.

ETA: I can't generalize that these people are being discriminatory. I think most of them are horny fucktards!

Sorry, I got carried away. And thanks for letting me vent.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Well, I HOPE the librarian wasn't :rofl: but the others, maybe so. I'm the USC and I couldn't be any more anglo-looking if I tried, and I get some of that stuff too :)

I think that it's true that those who speak English well probably have less trouble. Although once an accent is detected people do get curious, I've noticed.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

no. but my life is pretty much military base, i do everything here, i work here, go to the gym, buy food, gasoline, everything, and half the peeps in here are foreigner so i'm just one of them.

This is the main reason we are moving to a part of Florida where there are two big bases...my hubby worries about my son "sticking out like a sore thumb" so sending him to a school in a community where many military people have foreign spouses seemed like the way to go.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

not often, but if they do are discriminatory, they get a can of whoopedro.. mainly is the 'i wanna speak with someone who speaks english' kind of comment, which I don't take offense, I rather laugh at.. damn ignorant rednecks who can't understand proper english..

but as a foreigner i've noticed this.. people will mess with you if you can't defend yourself... people mess with illegals because they don't speak english and they know they won't call their manager or the cops or whatever.. but if they see you can raise hell, like moi, they'll leave you alone

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

A lot of people have mistaken Jinky for being hispanic - even other Filipinos. So far, just two major incidences:

One involving her going to a check cashing place and having her foreign currency check confiscated from her because the guy thought she was trying to pass a fraudulent check. Being 7 months pregnant at the time and with a 6 year old in tow probably triggered off in this guy's head that she's poor and desperate.

The other time - a guy sitting in his parked van and talking on his cell phone, leaned on his horn for a couple of seconds while shouting at her and our baby to shut up. She was placing the baby in a cart and trying to console him while he cried.

In both incidences, I wasn't there and I wonder if the outcome or the person's actions would have been different had I been there with her.