GaryC

Obama’s Fatherhood Talk Is Cheap

16 posts in this topic

Act, senator. Do it for the children.

By Kathryn Jean Lopez

‘There’s a fatherhood awakening under way in the inner city,” Kay Hymowitz announced in her 2006 book, Marriage and Caste in America: Separate and Unequal Families in a Post-Marital Age. On Sunday, Father’s Day, in a sermon on fatherhood, Barack Obama signaled that he wants to be a part of the awakening, living it and leading on it. But talk — as welcome as it is — is cheap. Now, Senator, is the time to lead.

Obama, in a sermon to Apostolic Church of God in Chicago, said:

"I know what it means to have an absent father, although my circumstances weren’t as tough as they are for many young people today. Even though my father left us when I was two years old, and I only knew him from the letters he wrote and the stories that my family told, I was luckier than most. I grew up in Hawaii, and had two wonderful grandparents from Kansas who poured everything they had into helping my mother raise my sister and me — who worked with her to teach us about love and respect and the obligations we have to one another. I screwed up more often than I should’ve, but I got plenty of second chances."

He continued:

"And even though we didn’t have a lot of money, scholarships gave me the opportunity to go to some of the best schools in the country. A lot of kids don’t get these chances today. There is no margin for error in their lives. So my own story is different in that way. "

It doesn’t have to be different, Senator. You have the opportunity right now to provide opportunities for children in Washington, D.C.

In Washington, D.C., right now, the future of the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program that serves 1,900 inner-city D.C. children is in doubt. Their congressional “representation,” D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, is leading the effort to kill the program. (Imagine the damage she could do if she were a full-on member of Congress.)

In his Sunday sermon, Obama went on:

"We know that education is everything to our children’s future. We know that they will no longer just compete for good jobs with children from Indiana, but children from India and China and all over the world. We know the work and the studying and the level of education that requires.

You know, sometimes I’ll go to an eighth-grade graduation and there’s all that pomp and circumstance and gowns and flowers. And I think to myself, it’s just eighth grade. To really compete, they need to graduate high school, and then they need to graduate college, and they probably need a graduate degree too. An eighth-grade education doesn’t cut it today. Let’s give them a handshake and tell them to get their butts back in the library! "

If he means any of that, he will do his part to get their butts in the library in the first place. He will do his part to keep the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program alive. He will do his part to make sure that the 1,900 inner-city children currently served by the program do not have their scholarships taken from them. Eighty-three percent of the children currently in the scholarship program would be attending failing public schools, according to No Child Left Behind standards. How about giving as many kids as possible the opportunity to graduate from high school and college and graduate school? How about not yanking that opportunity from the 1,900 students currently saved from D.C.’s disastrous public schools, which have the highest dropout rate in the nation?

Sen. Obama claims he is all about change. He says he wants to get Washington working differently. He might start by declaring independence from the teachers’ unions. He might start by listening to some voices in the Washington wilderness. He might want to consider being a leader. Talk isn’t enough when you’re a voting member of the United States Congress and you know better than to rip opportunity from children in an urban center with the highest child-poverty rate in the country. Take a chance for a change, Senator Obama.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Y2VhN...Dg0ZmE3MWJjYzk=

Gary... You are VJ's version of Sean Hannity... :devil: Yeah Baby Yeah!

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Obama inspires me . . .to put my future kids in a private school. Unfortunately, I don't make that kind of money so they'll be stuck in a crappy public school and that's pretty sad.

I HOPE Obama CHANGEs.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

And, like most voucher proponents, Kathryn Jean Lopez couldn't give a $#it less about the kids who are really left behind: those who don't receive vouchers (er, scholarships) and languish in subpar schools basically left to rot. Do it for the children, my a$$.

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
And, like most voucher proponents, Kathryn Jean Lopez couldn't give a $#it less about the kids who are really left behind: those who don't receive vouchers (er, scholarships) and languish in subpar schools basically left to rot. Do it for the children, my a$$.

Yeah, let's just let 'em rot where they are.

David & Lalai

th_ourweddingscrapbook-1.jpg

aneska1-3-1-1.gif

Greencard Received Date: July 3, 2009

Lifting of Conditions : March 18, 2011

I-751 Application Sent: April 23, 2011

Biometrics: June 9, 2011

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Obama inspires me . . .to put my future kids in a private school. Unfortunately, I don't make that kind of money so they'll be stuck in a crappy public school and that's pretty sad.

I HOPE Obama CHANGEs.

You're not ready for the Obamanation?

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

More empty speech promises from Ovmoit! Nothing is going to change and he is a liar, just follow him lemmings right off the cliff! :wacko:

Act, senator. Do it for the children.

By Kathryn Jean Lopez

‘There’s a fatherhood awakening under way in the inner city,” Kay Hymowitz announced in her 2006 book, Marriage and Caste in America: Separate and Unequal Families in a Post-Marital Age. On Sunday, Father’s Day, in a sermon on fatherhood, Barack Obama signaled that he wants to be a part of the awakening, living it and leading on it. But talk — as welcome as it is — is cheap. Now, Senator, is the time to lead.

Obama, in a sermon to Apostolic Church of God in Chicago, said:

"I know what it means to have an absent father, although my circumstances weren’t as tough as they are for many young people today. Even though my father left us when I was two years old, and I only knew him from the letters he wrote and the stories that my family told, I was luckier than most. I grew up in Hawaii, and had two wonderful grandparents from Kansas who poured everything they had into helping my mother raise my sister and me — who worked with her to teach us about love and respect and the obligations we have to one another. I screwed up more often than I should’ve, but I got plenty of second chances."

He continued:

"And even though we didn’t have a lot of money, scholarships gave me the opportunity to go to some of the best schools in the country. A lot of kids don’t get these chances today. There is no margin for error in their lives. So my own story is different in that way. "

It doesn’t have to be different, Senator. You have the opportunity right now to provide opportunities for children in Washington, D.C.

In Washington, D.C., right now, the future of the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program that serves 1,900 inner-city D.C. children is in doubt. Their congressional “representation,” D.C. Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton, is leading the effort to kill the program. (Imagine the damage she could do if she were a full-on member of Congress.)

In his Sunday sermon, Obama went on:

"We know that education is everything to our children’s future. We know that they will no longer just compete for good jobs with children from Indiana, but children from India and China and all over the world. We know the work and the studying and the level of education that requires.

You know, sometimes I’ll go to an eighth-grade graduation and there’s all that pomp and circumstance and gowns and flowers. And I think to myself, it’s just eighth grade. To really compete, they need to graduate high school, and then they need to graduate college, and they probably need a graduate degree too. An eighth-grade education doesn’t cut it today. Let’s give them a handshake and tell them to get their butts back in the library! "

If he means any of that, he will do his part to get their butts in the library in the first place. He will do his part to keep the D.C. Opportunity Scholarship Program alive. He will do his part to make sure that the 1,900 inner-city children currently served by the program do not have their scholarships taken from them. Eighty-three percent of the children currently in the scholarship program would be attending failing public schools, according to No Child Left Behind standards. How about giving as many kids as possible the opportunity to graduate from high school and college and graduate school? How about not yanking that opportunity from the 1,900 students currently saved from D.C.’s disastrous public schools, which have the highest dropout rate in the nation?

Sen. Obama claims he is all about change. He says he wants to get Washington working differently. He might start by declaring independence from the teachers’ unions. He might start by listening to some voices in the Washington wilderness. He might want to consider being a leader. Talk isn’t enough when you’re a voting member of the United States Congress and you know better than to rip opportunity from children in an urban center with the highest child-poverty rate in the country. Take a chance for a change, Senator Obama.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=Y2VhN...Dg0ZmE3MWJjYzk=

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

Yeah, they should all just stay in those subpar schools and rot together ;)

Scott - So. California, Lai - Hong Kong

3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fagm.gif3dflagsdotcom_chchk_2fagm.gif

Our timeline:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1032

Our Photos

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=7mj8fg...=0&y=x7fhak

http://www.amazon.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.j...z8zadq&Ux=1

Optimist: "The glass is half full."

Pessimist: "The glass is half empty."

Scott: "I didn't order this!!!"

"Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God." - Ruth 1:16

"Losing faith in Humanity, one person at a time."

"Do not put your trust in princes, in mortal men, who cannot save." - Ps 146:3

cool.gif

IMG_6283c.jpg

Vicky >^..^< She came, she loved, and was loved. 1989-07/07/2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
Must have missed the "lies" in that article :whistle:

Wifey isn't around to answer so maybe Dean can...

What do you call it when you see things that aren't there and why do certain VJ members consistently practice "extreme" selective reading?

Is there some kind of psychopathology involved??

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

Must have missed the "lies" in that article :whistle:

Wifey isn't around to answer so maybe Dean can...

What do you call it when you see things that aren't there and why do certain VJ members consistently practice "extreme" selective reading?

Is there some kind of psychopathology involved??

Confirmation bias occurs when we selectively notice or focus upon evidence which tends to support the things we already believe or want to be true while ignoring that evidence which would serve to disconfirm those beliefs or ideas. Confirmation bias plays a stronger role when it comes to those beliefs which are based upon prejudice, faith, or tradition rather than on empirical evidence.

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

additional....

Political bias study

In January 2006, Drew Westen and a team from Emory University announced at the annual Society for Personality and Social Psychology conference in Palm Springs, California the results of a study[3] showing the brain activity for confirmation bias. Their results suggest the unconscious and emotion driven nature of this form of bias.

Dr. Westen summarised the work:

“ None of the circuits involved in conscious reasoning were particularly engaged. Essentially, it appears as if partisans twirl the cognitive kaleidoscope until they get the conclusions they want, and then they get massively reinforced for it, with the elimination of negative emotional states and activation of positive ones.... Everyone from executives and judges to scientists and politicians may reason to emotionally biased judgments when they have a vested interest in how to interpret 'the facts'.[4] ”

Another completely unrelated study was carried out during the pre-electoral period of the 2004 US presidential election on 30 men, half of whom described themselves as strong Republicans and half as strong Democrats. During a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) scan, the subjects were asked to assess contradictory statements by both George W. Bush and John Kerry. The scans showed that the part of the brain associated with reasoning, the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, was not involved when assessing the statements. Conversely, the most active regions of the brain were those involved in processing emotions (orbitofrontal cortex), conflict resolution (anterior cingulate cortex) and making judgments about moral accountability (posterior cingulate cortex).[5]

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835