bamspeedy

Long Foreign Addresses, and police report

3 posts in this topic

My fiancee in China is currently living with her sister. And unfortunately, her sister's house is hard to find so the address needs to use directions or else the house won't be found and she won't get mail there.

The address is something like this (deliberately changed some details for privacy):

North side of Zhang Gas Station,

ni zi part of road, 234 Dragon Street

Xintang Town, Zengcheng City

Guangzhou 511340 Guangdong

P.R. China

Since we both were worried the mail might not reach her house I sent the important documents (the application for her to sign) to her work address since it was a much simpler address (it would start at 234 Dragon Road for example). It took awhile through USPS, but after 3-4 weeks, the package arrived at her work (USPS claimed 5-10 days, although some of this could be due to Chinese mail distribution, but regardless next time I think I'm going with someone else.)

I sent some other stuff (just copies of some translations, so I can just simply get them recopied) to her sister's house just as a test to see if she would get it. Now maybe she will get it tomorrow, but it isn't looking good. So that brings me to my questions.

1. I was wondering if I could communicate with the immigration people that we want the documents that they will eventually send to her, sent to her work rather than her home address.

2. She asked me if I thought it would be better to just move to a new place that has an easier address. I was shocked she so casually suggested this like it wasn't that big of a deal, because I'm thinking of how much that would cost her vs. living with her family. She does have an office job, but still the thought of spending that extra money just to get mail seems crazy.

Now for the police reports: So she will eventually need police reports from since she was 16? She is having a hard time even getting one for where she is living now. I thought I read somewhere that it was only the past 5 years (or maybe that is just a requirement in the first stages, and the 'since 16' part comes later in the process?), so I only asked her to get ones from the past 5 years. She has a 'Population Register Card' from where she lived 2 years ago when she owned a house, but the police say they can't give her one for her living with her sister now because she isn't the owner of the house.

Is there another type of document, or name of it, other than the 'Population Register Card' (I told her to get a 'police report') that I can try and get her to ask the police for and proves that she lives where she says she does? If they won't give her one now, I doubt they will give her ones from over 10 years ago, if she doesn't have them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

1) YES :yes: you can use the consulate's email system to get this information to them.

http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/email.html (Do this after you get a GUZ case number from NVC) OR contact DOS Visa services and get the address adjusted. http://travel.state.gov/about/info/info_308.html#visa

2) I would just use work address.

In our case my wife lived with her mother, and her mother used a PO BOX for the mail.

Lastly, did you know there is a immigrations site that has extensive info specific to the Guangzhou consulate?

http://candleforlove.com (Best place for preparing for the interview in GUZ)

Police reports: In China this is a national one, just get one from police department that has jurisdiction over where she has her home residency, and get it translated at the local notarial office.

Other requirements: Notarial birth cert, and marriageability (Single Cert)

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Police reports: In China this is a national one, just get one from police department that has jurisdiction over where she has her home residency, and get it translated at the local notarial office.

They won't give her one. This is from a recent letter from her:

By the way, the police office doesn¡¯t want to write to prove that I live in my sister¡¯s home. Even I beg them, they don¡¯t want to. I¡¯m so sorry that I take you trouble. But I really don¡¯t know what I need to do.

All we have is a 'population register card' which kind of looks like it is some sort of census thing for where she lived a couple years ago, but not for where she lives now, and it doesn't look like she will get them from since she was 16 if she didn't keep them.

Lastly, did you know there is a immigrations site that has extensive info specific to the Guangzhou consulate?

Thanks, but that site won't allow me to post or use the search engine, even though I registered.

Other requirements: Notarial birth cert, and marriageability (Single Cert)

Already got them, and also a statement from her employer that proves she is working if that was needed.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.