Saddle Bronc

Tesco staff ask for ID to sell BBQ sauce to 25-year-old

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10...dame-Do-ID.html

Barbecue sauce madame? Do you have any ID?

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 12:34 AM on 10th June 2008

Cashiers at a Tesco refused to sell a woman barbecue sauce --because she did not have any ID.

Claire Birchell, 25, was told she could not buy the Jack Daniel's sauce because it contains 2 per cent alcohol and she could not prove she was old enough to buy it.

Staff even refused to sell the bottle to her brother-in-law, Philip Dover, 27, who was with her at the time and did have ID, because they said he would just give it to her.

Miss Birchell had been hoping to stock up on the sauce while she was visiting her parents in Flitwick, near Bedford, as the shops near her home in Liverpool do not sell it.

So she was astonished to be told she could not buy the condiment because it contains a small amount of whiskey.

Mr Dover said: 'We just could not believe it. It's not as if we were going to go and sit down the park drinking it.

'Claire lives in Liverpool and she can't buy the sauce up there so she was really disappointed she couldn't get it in Flitwick. It just seems crazy over a sauce.'

Mr Dover added that he had gone back to the store a few days later and bought a bottle of the sauce without any problem.

It is not the first time Tesco staff have been accused of being overly-strict in policing sales to minors.

Last month the store stopped selling alcohol to parents if they were with their children in case they passed it on to them.

This meant many shoppers who took their children on their weekly shop found they were denied the beer and wine in their trolley.

At the time Tesco defended the move saying they preferred staff to 'err on the side of caution'.

Supermarkets have become increasingly strict over the selling of alcohol as the Government has imposed tougher rules and penalties.

Any shop caught selling drink to under-18s three times in three months faces a £10,000 fine.

article-0-018B179000000578-232_233x423.jpg

Are the Tesco chopf#cks going to then stop selling mouthwash (which contains a lot more of a non-drinkable alcohol) then?

They might. I knew a hard core alcoholic who used to get gutted on mouthwash. Methinks he may be dead now.

My dad used mouthwash to get drunk, as well as nyquil

That's pretty harsh. Is he still alive? If so did he stop?

Hes still alive, also 2 weeks into rehab for alcoholism. Hes doing great, and finally accepted he has a problem. Im so proud! :luv:

That's great! I have had friends who successfully curbed their addiction with AA. Hopefully he can do the same. You may also want to consider Alanon:

http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/

Of course it is very funny but...

Does this in fact indicate that when it comes to actual alcohol sales the staff at Tesco do an excellent job? That could be the 'flip side' of this story and wouldn't that be a good thing?

I guess 'Ignorant, stuffy Tesco staff' sounds much better for Daily Mail readers though :P:P

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Because alcohol is more volatile than water, it evaporates quickly. By the time that alcohol reaches your mouth, it probably be more like less than 1% alcohol.

And, with less than 1% concentration, your body will get rid or it in less than 2-3 minutes, if not, less.

This law or policy is a waste of time to enforce. Probably be less profitable in the long run.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg