Trumplestiltskin

Does USA have a problem with partisan fanaticism?

28 members have voted

1. 1. Does USA have a problem with partisan fanaticism?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know

14 posts in this topic

I think many on both sides are tired and tend to blame each other. I wouldn't say there is a *problem* with partisan fanaticism, as that, to me, indicates that this is a majority feeling, or close to the majority.

Minority screams the loudest, and despite often hearing arguments that "this is all <insert other party's> fault" I do not feel this is a representative of most.

Short form answer - the fanatics are a minority.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Perhaps the UK is more apathetic about politics than the US - but I don't remember the same sort of extremist labels flying around about Labour, Tory or Liberal Democrat supports.

I guess it bothers me that never having registered in any of the US political parties that you can't talk about politics without being characterised as the worst of the "other side". Its very strange.

Perhaps the UK is more apathetic about politics than the US - but I don't remember the same sort of extremist labels flying around about Labour, Tory or Liberal Democrat supports.

Or maybe they just know politicians are just that... politicians!! :P

I guess it bothers me that never having registered in any of the US political parties that you can't talk about politics without being characterised as the worst of the "other side". Its very strange.

I would agree with you there, I do think thats part of the blaming that goes on though. It's as if being critical of a decision automatically makes you part of the "other side". The labels and name calling, its all ridiculous.

Filed: Timeline

I would say that it is... Look how many topics Gary has posted in the last couple of days. :P

I'm technically a democrat, but I'm not a militant democrat. I don't detest Republicans or the party itself. I detest the moron we have for a president at the moment, but he isn't the entire party. I'll vote for whomever I think will be best for the job. If I thought that was McCain, I'd vote for him. Polarizing everything is stupid, in my opinion. I think there shouldn't even be parties....just let people run for office on their own merits and ideals. It would stop this stupid-arsed "straight-ticket" voting, which is for the weak-minded.

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline
I think many on both sides are tired and tend to blame each other. I wouldn't say there is a *problem* with partisan fanaticism, as that, to me, indicates that this is a majority feeling, or close to the majority.

Minority screams the loudest, and despite often hearing arguments that "this is all <insert other party's> fault" I do not feel this is a representative of most.

Short form answer - the fanatics are a minority.

I agree. Case in point - illegal immigration. All the Republican presidential candidates who had the strongest opposition to any reform, exited the race pretty quickly and the frontrunner, McCain, has supported reform that would include providing a pathway to citizenship for the millions of illegals. Yet, you wouldn't think that from what was said here on VJ.

As typical of desis, don't know (though untypically, not much time spent discussing INDIAN politics)

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

I'm just tired of being on the defensive every time my brother and sister-in-law show up for a family gathering...militant conservatives + staunch liberals = indigestion....

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

• 11 months later...