Toledospod

UK mobile phones in US?

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Chas and I read the online manual to my new phone as to where the sim card would be - there isn't one in it.

I'm on Verizon. I'm starting to think they don't even use sim cards.

You are correct. Verizon is not a GSM service and you will not have a SIM card. For those people with GSM service, Cingular and T-Mobile, your SIM card is probably under the battery. It contains the information about your phone number and your contact list or stored phone numbers. It makes it easy to switch between phones by just moving your card into another phone.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Yup, I have a Sony K750i on O2 here in the UK. When I'm over there visiting tracy, my phone will detect Cingular and T Mobile networks, depending on where I am that day. In downtown Nashville I was connected to Cingular, back at Lebanon it would automatically change over to T Mobile.

My phone isn't SIM locked so I just need to sign up to, say, Cingular when I get there, take the SIM card out of whatever basic phone they provide and put it in my Sony. Job done. :)

prestoportaitww0.jpg

My Timeline is the same as TracyTN

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I moved over from UK to US and I brought my locked Orange Nokia. I unlocked the phone via an unlock website.

I then purchased a T-Mobile PAYG phone, which is GSM, and comes with a SIM card, and planted the little baby in my Nokia. It's not quite that simple as you do need to setup the GPRS and MMS settings too if you want to use the web/WAP or send MMS messages. You might also find that some phones NEED to have those settings as this is how updates via the network are sent to you.

I personally think that the US are about 5 years behind the UK in terms of technology and phones. For such a super power to be this backward is beyond me. I guess as someone said before, the UK is a consumer led society. Most people here don't even know how to text!! ;) The only half decent phone here is the Motorola Razr and that's been out in the UK for years!!

Filed: Timeline
I moved over from UK to US and I brought my locked Orange Nokia. I unlocked the phone via an unlock website.

I then purchased a T-Mobile PAYG phone, which is GSM, and comes with a SIM card, and planted the little baby in my Nokia. It's not quite that simple as you do need to setup the GPRS and MMS settings too if you want to use the web/WAP or send MMS messages. You might also find that some phones NEED to have those settings as this is how updates via the network are sent to you.

I personally think that the US are about 5 years behind the UK in terms of technology and phones. For such a super power to be this backward is beyond me. I guess as someone said before, the UK is a consumer led society. Most people here don't even know how to text!! ;) The only half decent phone here is the Motorola Razr and that's been out in the UK for years!!

The Razr has been out for years in the US, too.....I have one.

For those coming TO the US - I don't know about other providers, but with Cingular I can add Sian to my cell phone service for $10/month, which also gets her a phone. She has a pre-paid Motorola though, so I will probably try putting a SIM in it when she gets here (I have an extra).

With Cingular, calls to other Cingular phones are free. So you can likely get one of the smaller plans and share it, yet talk to each other all you want (when you're here in the US, of course).

I'll mention again too (posted it about it a month or two ago) that Cingular has a new add-on called World Connect. You can call the UK from the US on your cell phone for 6 cents/minute. That's 1 cent cheaper than my home international plan.

As for the necessity of cell phones (which was mentioned earlier).... I'm an IT Contractor, and I honestly couldn't do my job or even get a job without my cell phone. But no, I don't like being "constantly available"..... that's why cell phones have "OFF" buttons. The benefits of having a cell far outweigh any negatives though.

Anyhoo, for those with an USC SO who has Cingular, ask them to check into getting you added to their plan. A lot cheaper in the long run.

(No, I don't work for Cingular.... I've used their service for 7 years, though, after ditching several other companies)

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

If you have your own phone you want to use, just get whatever free phone cingular wants to give you, take the SIM out and stick it in your own phone (trusting your phone is unlocked).

If your phone isn't quad-band, likely it doesn't have the 850 band for cingular, and you'll be hating life. Depending where you are at, you may not have any 1900 coverage at all (or you'll be lucky and you do have coverage, but i wouldn't bet on it lasting forever). T-mobile is 1900, and cingular used to use their network (but that agreement is nuked from the AT&T buy).

• 8 months later...

Verizon only has 2 models with Sim Card, The best thing is to buy a tri-band phone and if you know some folks have it UNLOCK, IF you are buying it online some are already unlocked but if it's through one of the us phone companies you have to go to one of those phone place to get it done. Good luck

Gone but not Forgotten!

The system here just seems strange to me - I was looking into getting a PAYG because I don't really have that many people to call here, but as well as the charges for calls/texts, you have to pay $1 every day that you use your phone! What??! That's not PAYG, that's expensive!

And another thing that annoyed me, me and SO are on Cingular, I'm on his plan. One month we ran out of texts between us, and so everytime I texted Ed, i got charged 10c (fair enough), but then he got charged 10c to receive it (ridiculous). So even though we're on the same plan, we got charged 20c per text - how stupid!

AOS/EAD

11/15/2006 NOA1 for EAD and AOS

12/1/2006 Received RFE Grrrrrrrrr

12/2/2006 Biometrics

12/8/2006 Sent back RFE

1/26/2007 EAD Card Production Ordered

1/31/2007 EAD Card received

3/6/2007 INTERVIEW - FBI namecheck

3/26/2007 NOA1 for AP

4/30/2007 AOS APPROVED

5/7/2007 Green Card Arrived!

-

2/12/09 Mailed Removal of Conditions

3/10/09 Bio Appt

-

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
The system here just seems strange to me - I was looking into getting a PAYG because I don't really have that many people to call here, but as well as the charges for calls/texts, you have to pay $1 every day that you use your phone! What??! That's not PAYG, that's expensive!

And another thing that annoyed me, me and SO are on Cingular, I'm on his plan. One month we ran out of texts between us, and so everytime I texted Ed, i got charged 10c (fair enough), but then he got charged 10c to receive it (ridiculous). So even though we're on the same plan, we got charged 20c per text - how stupid!

I think you have 2 options for PAYG, $1 per day for every day you use the phone with 10c/min charge or 25c/min charge without the daily charge.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

I asked if I could just get the SIM when I got a package. Alltel do not use them. I needed a national plan with pretty much full coverage. (I work just about anywhere in the US) Living in Upper Michigan I only have the choice of Alltel and Nextel. Otherwise I get prohibitive 'roaming' charges.

AOS/EAD/AP Filed:2006-09-23
AP Approved:2006-10-30
EAD Approved!:2006-11-02
AOS Approved!:2007-02-12

Remove Conditions filed:2008-11-13
Green Card Received:2009-01-30

N400 Filed:2013-01-25 (Phoenix)
Biometrics:2013-02-25 (Grand Rapids)
Interview:2013-05-07(Detroit)

Oath Ceremony:2013-05-24(Marquette)

• 2 years later...

A note for all you Brits and Americans needing to talk to their honeys when they're apart...

Using a T-Mobile family plan, with HotSpot at home enabled on the phone in the UK, we have been able to talk over 8,000 minutes a month for the past year without paying for ANY international minutes.

PM me if you want to know more details... I'm not selling anything, just think others should know this excellent loop-hole.

April 30th 09: Verification that I-129F was delivered to CSC!

May 12th 09: NOA1!

May 15th 09: Check cashed

Aug 13th 09: *NOA2!*

Aug 18th 09: Received NOA2 Hardcopy

Aug 21st 09: NVC Received

Aug 24th 09: NVC Approved!

Aug 27th 09: London received

Sep 11th 09: Packet 3 received

Nov 10th 09: Mailed packet 3.

Nov 12th 09: Packet 3 delivered.

Nov 17th 09: Medical

Dec 7th 09: Interview Scheduled.

Dec 17th 09: Interview Approved!

Dec 30th 09: Visa Printed!

Jan 6th 10: POE Dallas!

Feb 6th 10: Wedding!

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.