Nova Salas

POE is in Detriot, What do i have to expect?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'll be flying from Manila to Detriot [DTW] this coming 20th of June finally. What will be expected in the immigration? what questions might possibly be ask to me? do i have to bring my X-ray film with me? I am flying via NorthWest airlines.

by the way, it is a connecting flight and i have to wait for 10 hours before my next flight to erie.

Do you have a sketch map of the Ncmanara Terminal? please send it to me, i badly need it as I want to know where to go when i arrive in their terminal. or email it here: nvtay@yahoo.com,

I will really appreaciate any help you could possibly give to me.

thanks in advance.

You'll be ok, except for your wait time. 10 hours is way too long..I had the same experience. I fly northwest when I go back home(manila). but coming back from manila to detroit then florida I had to stay at the hotel inside the airport just to get some sleep and not wait around the terminal for 10 hours!

Another problem you'll have is the new checked bag policy. especially with northwest, if your connecting flight is more than 8 hours of wait, they will charge you for the 2nd checked bag.

"International Travel - between North America and Africa / Asia / Europe / India / Middle East)

Coach Class: Each ticketed passenger is allowed two (2) pieces of checked luggage.

Exception for Coach Class International travel with a connection time of eight (8) hours or more that requires luggage to be re-checked for a flight within the US, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean: Each ticketed passenger is allowed one (1) piece of checked luggage (see below for details)*

Each piece: 50 pounds (23 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm).

Exceptions for trans-Pacific travel wholly between U.S./Canada and the Philippines, China and Hong Kong, checked pieces may weigh up to 70 pounds (32 kg) each.

Checked luggage within the free 2 bag allowance that weigh more than 50 pounds and up to 70 pounds will be assessed a $50.00 heavy bag fee.

Checked luggage within the free 2 bag allowance whose linear dimensions exceed 62 inches will be assessed 2 excess baggage charges. See rate table.

(Applicable to Trans-Pacific travel between North America and Asia) Checked luggage within the free 2 bag allowance whose weight exceeds 70 pounds will be assessed 3 excess baggage charges.

See rate table.

*Coach Class International travel with connection times of eight (8) hours or more in the US, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean: Each ticketed passenger is allowed one (1) piece of checked luggage.

Each piece: 50 pounds (23 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm). Or, for trans-Pacific travel exception noted above, each piece may weigh 70 pounds (32 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm).

Northwest Airlines' Silver, Gold and Platinum WorldPerks® Elite customers, SkyTeam Elite customers and passengers booked in full fare classes (Y or B) may check two bags free of charge. Customers booked in First Class may check up to three bags free of charge. Luggage in excess of these special free allowances will be charged a fee of $100 per piece each-way"

or check it out here: http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/checked.html#freeluggage

You'll be fine at the immigration, just read and follow the signs around the terminal. Detroit Airport is huge but it's impossible to miss your connecting flight. They also have a tram (like a MRT type of train inside the terminal, if you don't feel like walking and it's a lot faster and easier to get to your gate. Good Luck and Have a safe trip!

My Wife's Timeline

Naturalization (N-400)

Service Center: USCIS Dallas Lockbox

EVENT/DATE

Filing Date:

NOA Date:

Biometrics Appt Date:

Interview Date:

Approved:

Oath Ceremony Date:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricky&Chat (K1) AOS & EAD

Service Center : California Service Center
EVENT/ DATE

Date of Flight to US: AUGUST 13, 2008 ARRIVED!(A NEW JOURNEY BEGINS...)
Date of Marriage: AUGUST 20. 2008
SSN Card Received: SEPTEMBER 25, 2008
AOS & EAD Application: OCTOBER 28, 2008
Case Transfer CSC: NOVEMBER 19, 2008
Biometrics Appointment: DECEMBER 3, 2008
Case Pending at CSC: JANUARY 2, 2009
EAD Approved: JANUARY 9, 2009
EAD Card Received: JANUARY 12, 2009

I'll be flying from Manila to Detriot [DTW] this coming 20th of June finally. What will be expected in the immigration? what questions might possibly be ask to me? do i have to bring my X-ray film with me? I am flying via NorthWest airlines.

by the way, it is a connecting flight and i have to wait for 10 hours before my next flight to erie.

Do you have a sketch map of the Ncmanara Terminal? please send it to me, i badly need it as I want to know where to go when i arrive in their terminal. or email it here: nvtay@yahoo.com,

thanks in advance.

I just came here on the 2nd of June and I took NWA as well. I didn't had any problem with my POE in Detroit. The airport is real big but there are lots of walkalators everywhere :) There's a line there that's kinda fast for people who have connecting flights. Well, for me I have two hours lay over to Raleigh NC but the plane landed a little early and I made it for about and hour and a half for the interview and at the customs till I finally get in the Gate to Raleigh. They were very helpful there and the people at the airport will guide you. They asked me few questions that's were in the sealed envelope from the USE. I handcarried my Xray and put it in the plastic bag I got from St. Lukes. It's okay to hand carry it that way than putting it inside a tube though. But then the Immigration Officer didn't ask me for it. He asked me what's the name of my petitioner, about my sister too that's in Missouri and how she get here, where I'm staying here in the US. He read and checked everything that's in the sealed envelope and asked me the Custom's Declaration and I-194 (Departure Record). You can ask that to the flight attendants and filled it out before the plane lands at Detroit :) He looked on my fiance's picture and he asked "Is that your fiance"? I said "Yes Sir" :) He made it clear to me that I should get married for 90 days or I'll go back to the Philippines :) And that's it. They won't ask too much because there are many people waiting for interview too.

I hope that helps you :) Have a nice flight.

K1 TIMELINE:
. 04/16/2007 - Mailed I-129F
. 04/25/2007 - NOA1
. 10/12/2007 - NOA2
. 02/11/2008 - Forwarded to NVC
. 03/13/2008 - Forwarded to Consulate
. 04/22/2008 - Interview at US Embassy
. 05/06/2008 - Visa Approved (After 2 weeks of Doc. Verification)
. 05/08/2008 - Visa in Hand!

AOS TIMELINE:
. 08/26/2008 - Applied AOS via UPS
. 09/02/2008 - Case shown online as "received and pending"
. 09/03/2008 - Check Cashed!
. 09/08 /2008 - Received NOA'S for AOS and EAD (Notices Dated: 9/02/2008)
. 09/11/2008 - Received Notice for Biometrics Appointment (Notice Dated: 9/04/2008)
. 10/01/2008 - Biometrics Appointment
. 11/17/2008 - EAD Approval Sent; EAD Card Received
. 02/23/2009 - Received Letter for Interview
. 04/02/2009 - AOS Interview and Approved!
. 04/13/2009 - Greencard in Hand! (Thanks God!)

REMOVE CONDITIONS ON RESIDENCE:
. 12/29/2010 - Mailed I-751 to VT Service Center
. 12/31/2010 - Received and Signed for by D Renaud
. 01/06/2011 - Check Cashed!

. 01/08/2011 - Received NOA (Receipt dated 01/03/2011)
. 02/03/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice (Receipt dated 01/10/2011)
. 06/16/2001 - Received Approval Notice in the mail (Receipt dated 06/13/2011)
. 06/18/2011 - Greencard in Hand!

CITIZENSHIP TIMELINE:

. 04/08/2014 - Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

. 04/10/2014 - Received and Signed by Edwards

. 04/15/2014 - Check Cashed

. 04/21/2014 - Received NOA (Notice Dated 04/14/2014)

. 05/12/2014 - Biometrics Appointment (Notice Dated 04/21/2014)

. 08/06/2014 - Interview Appointment (Notice Dated 06/30/2014)

. 09/05/2014 - Oath Taking (Notice Dated 08/18/2014)

.png

Timeline
uhmm.. just thought this would help..

POE reviews

:blush:

Thank you so much for this wonderful tips.. i'll be reading more of it, so i'll have lots of ideas on what do to... Do you have some Ncmanara Terminal sketch or map? so i would know where to go to where....

Timeline
You'll be ok, except for your wait time. 10 hours is way too long..I had the same experience. I fly northwest when I go back home(manila). but coming back from manila to detroit then florida I had to stay at the hotel inside the airport just to get some sleep and not wait around the terminal for 10 hours!

Another problem you'll have is the new checked bag policy. especially with northwest, if your connecting flight is more than 8 hours of wait, they will charge you for the 2nd checked bag.

"International Travel - between North America and Africa / Asia / Europe / India / Middle East)

Coach Class: Each ticketed passenger is allowed two (2) pieces of checked luggage.

Exception for Coach Class International travel with a connection time of eight (8) hours or more that requires luggage to be re-checked for a flight within the US, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean: Each ticketed passenger is allowed one (1) piece of checked luggage (see below for details)*

Each piece: 50 pounds (23 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm).

Exceptions for trans-Pacific travel wholly between U.S./Canada and the Philippines, China and Hong Kong, checked pieces may weigh up to 70 pounds (32 kg) each.

Checked luggage within the free 2 bag allowance that weigh more than 50 pounds and up to 70 pounds will be assessed a $50.00 heavy bag fee.

Checked luggage within the free 2 bag allowance whose linear dimensions exceed 62 inches will be assessed 2 excess baggage charges. See rate table.

(Applicable to Trans-Pacific travel between North America and Asia) Checked luggage within the free 2 bag allowance whose weight exceeds 70 pounds will be assessed 3 excess baggage charges.

See rate table.

*Coach Class International travel with connection times of eight (8) hours or more in the US, Canada, Mexico and Caribbean: Each ticketed passenger is allowed one (1) piece of checked luggage.

Each piece: 50 pounds (23 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm). Or, for trans-Pacific travel exception noted above, each piece may weigh 70 pounds (32 kg) with linear dimensions not to exceed 62 inches (158 cm).

Northwest Airlines' Silver, Gold and Platinum WorldPerks® Elite customers, SkyTeam Elite customers and passengers booked in full fare classes (Y or B) may check two bags free of charge. Customers booked in First Class may check up to three bags free of charge. Luggage in excess of these special free allowances will be charged a fee of $100 per piece each-way"

or check it out here: http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/checked.html#freeluggage

You'll be fine at the immigration, just read and follow the signs around the terminal. Detroit Airport is huge but it's impossible to miss your connecting flight. They also have a tram (like a MRT type of train inside the terminal, if you don't feel like walking and it's a lot faster and easier to get to your gate. Good Luck and Have a safe trip!

This is really interesting reply to me... do you know where to find the sketch or map of Ncmanara Terminal? i think i'll be passing in thru that terminal. i just want to know into what and where direction will i be heading into...

I really appreaciate it so much...

Thank you.

Timeline

thanks in advance.

I just came here on the 2nd of June and I took NWA as well. I didn't had any problem with my POE in Detroit. The airport is real big but there are lots of walkalators everywhere :) There's a line there that's kinda fast for people who have connecting flights. Well, for me I have two hours lay over to Raleigh NC but the plane landed a little early and I made it for about and hour and a half for the interview and at the customs till I finally get in the Gate to Raleigh. They were very helpful there and the people at the airport will guide you. They asked me few questions that's were in the sealed envelope from the USE. I handcarried my Xray and put it in the plastic bag I got from St. Lukes. It's okay to hand carry it that way than putting it inside a tube though. But then the Immigration Officer didn't ask me for it. He asked me what's the name of my petitioner, about my sister too that's in Missouri and how she get here, where I'm staying here in the US. He read and checked everything that's in the sealed envelope and asked me the Custom's Declaration and I-194 (Departure Record). You can ask that to the flight attendants and filled it out before the plane lands at Detroit :) He looked on my fiance's picture and he asked "Is that your fiance"? I said "Yes Sir" :) He made it clear to me that I should get married for 90 days or I'll go back to the Philippines :) And that's it. They won't ask too much because there are many people waiting for interview too.

I hope that helps you :) Have a nice flight.

Your tips are very much helpful to you, Do you use terminal sketch or map to see where your heading into? do you know where to get one? thank you, i really appreciate it if your going to give me some of it..

i'm just really worry about flying alone and into very different world.

Here's the map: McNamara Terminal Map (Detroit DTW)

If you have a connecting flight I'm sure you'll find your next gate fast.Domestic flights for Northwest Airlines are located inside the McNamara terminal so you don't have to go outside. Just read the signs all around you and you'll be fine. And don't be afraid to ask someone for directions. You'll be surprise to see a lot of Filipinos in the terminal either waiting for their flight or arriving.

After landing..you'll get in line for your POE Immigration, ask you some questions, process your forms and passport after that, you'll go to baggage claim. Get your stuff, follow the signs that says TO GATES...BLAH BLAH BLAH..Connecting Flights... You'll have to check-in your baggage again you'll see passengers lined up waiting for the check bag area, give them your stuff, they will open your luggage but you don't have to wait for them you just go ahead and find your next gate..maybe another security check after that you're free to roam around the terminal.

Note: this is only from what I remember the last time I was in Detroit Airport coming back from Manila. Almost a year ago..but I don't know if these process have changed or maybe some new security measures have been added. But I've been through the same process four times in the past 2 years at the same terminal and I enjoyed every single one of them..except for Security Checks where you have to take off your shoe's, belt, any object that's on you..almost like naked, but with clothes on. :devil:

good luck and have a safe trip. u have nothing to worry about :thumbs:

See rate table.

This is really interesting reply to me... do you know where to find the sketch or map of Ncmanara Terminal? i think i'll be passing in thru that terminal. i just want to know into what and where direction will i be heading into...

I really appreaciate it so much...

Thank you.

My Wife's Timeline

Naturalization (N-400)

Service Center: USCIS Dallas Lockbox

EVENT/DATE

Filing Date:

NOA Date:

Biometrics Appt Date:

Interview Date:

Approved:

Oath Ceremony Date:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ricky&Chat (K1) AOS & EAD

Service Center : California Service Center
EVENT/ DATE

Date of Flight to US: AUGUST 13, 2008 ARRIVED!(A NEW JOURNEY BEGINS...)
Date of Marriage: AUGUST 20. 2008
SSN Card Received: SEPTEMBER 25, 2008
AOS & EAD Application: OCTOBER 28, 2008
Case Transfer CSC: NOVEMBER 19, 2008
Biometrics Appointment: DECEMBER 3, 2008
Case Pending at CSC: JANUARY 2, 2009
EAD Approved: JANUARY 9, 2009
EAD Card Received: JANUARY 12, 2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.