SterlingGirl

Noticing an awful lot of people who fly into POE with fiance

13 posts in this topic

Just curious, but I've noticed there are a lot of stories about American fiance/e's flying to their partner's country and flying back in with them to the POE - is this necessary or required? I only ask because of money issues; do they require the American spouse to be there? Our plan was to have him fly in through JFK (to get his EAD) and then fly out here.

December 22nd, 2008: Legally wed!

March 16th, 2009: AOS package posted via FedEx

March 18th, 2009: AOS package delivered, signed for by J. Chyba

March 24th, 2009: NOA1

March 25th, 2009: Check cashed

March 27th, 2009: NOA1 in hand

April 3rd, 2009: Case transferred to CSC (YES!)

April 9th, 2009: Biometrics

May 6th, 2009: EAD and AP approval notices sent

May 12th, 2009: AOS Touch

May 13th, 2009: AOS Touch, EAD received

June 18th, 2009: CRIS approval email, card production ordered - yes!

June 18th, 2009: Welcome notice mailed

June 22nd, 2009: Welcome notice received

July 2, 2009: Green card received!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It is not required or necessary.

I didn't go to the interview so I could fly with my fiance into the US. My reasoning was because he had never been on a plane before and I wanted to experience that with him. Also, I was so tired of going through security after having to kiss my fiance goodbye, I wanted to go through wtih him!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Just curious, but I've noticed there are a lot of stories about American fiance/e's flying to their partner's country and flying back in with them to the POE - is this necessary or required? I only ask because of money issues; do they require the American spouse to be there? Our plan was to have him fly in through JFK (to get his EAD) and then fly out here.

Not necessary/required in any way. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

It is not required that the petitioner be there at POE with the beneficiary.

Like Jomo's Girl, I did not go to the interview so that we could come back together. No more airport goodbyes for us :no:

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I went to the interview to make sure everything would go ok and be there if the CO wanted to talk to me. He never asked to interview me and then we flew back together. It's a personal choice, really.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: Timeline

Not necessary.. Daniel came to be with me during the interview as enough had gone wrong with our case already and we did not want to take any chances.

We also did not want to say anymore goodbyes (it was the most painful part of the whole procedure to us) It was just so nice to be able to come home together :luv:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I suspect that many of those who fly over and accompany their fiances back have inexperienced travelers as fiances and are there to help make the process smoother, especially if there are language barriers involved. It isn't necessary although it can certainly be nice:-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I suspect that many of those who fly over and accompany their fiances back have inexperienced travelers as fiances and are there to help make the process smoother, especially if there are language barriers involved. It isn't necessary although it can certainly be nice:-).

My thoughts exactly and is why I did it...

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

My thoughts exactly and is why I did it...

Similar thoughts here. I really wanted to be with them (wife and daughter) at interview time and travel together but it just wasn't practical for us. Instead, I met them at the POE to avoid them overnighting in LA before transferring. We had a nice two day drive home from LAX in a rented mini-van with room for their luggage. I wouldn't have been much help at the transfer in Hong Kong but I sure wish I could have been with them the whole trip.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

We can't afford for me to fly to Germany and come back with P. We've spent enough money on airlines :)

But we decided to have him fly into British Columbia and for me to pick him up there and drive together into the US. For us it was because the flight to BC was cheaper and direct from Germany, the POE at the US/BC border gives the EAD stamp, and we wanted to come through immigration together.

It's nice, but if money is a factor it shouldn't worry you.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you have the extra money and more importantly - the time - do it. We just saved the money and then gave it all to our favorite charity - Las Vegas! :lol: and a little bit to Mazatlan (Mexico).

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I really would love to fly down there for the interview, but I'd also like to come home with him on the plane. Everything I read highly recommends that I go to the interview in Perú... I'm scared if I don't they'll deny the visa. What does everybody think? I'm kind of going broke from this whole process & don't have a lot of money right now to spend on plane tickets.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello,

Being there at the interview doesn't make a difference in the minds of the consular officer for approval. Most importantly when I read your timeline is that you took your time, traveled down there twice then became engaged. Just make sure your K1 has all the supporting documentation you need to show sincerety and you should be fine.

My Masha spoke no English, had never travelled on a plane before and had a 3 year old son with her in tow. Despite me having flown over there twice she let me know she would patiently wait up to a year if necessary until I could travel to Russia and accompany her back. Money wasn't the primary issue as was simply time off from work which I had used up in 2004. When I look back on the whole situation however I don't regret making the 4 day trip. I only spent 3 days in Russia before we left but alone I'm not sure how she would have navigated the ENTIRE journey (taxi to airport, checkin, flight to Paris, connection to Houston, customs, etc.) In fact we spent 2 hours in customs in Houston and it helped that I could go get her something to drink etc.

So if one could accompany thier loved ones back I say go for it. If money is an issue then compromise and meet halfway or don't fret and do your best. Each situation is different.

Regards,

Robert and Masha

Edited by Robert and Masha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.