PalestineMyHeart

U.S. has Mandela on terror list

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Palestine
Timeline
U.S. has Mandela on terrorist list

WASHINGTON — Nobel Peace Prize winner and international symbol of freedom Nelson Mandela is flagged on U.S. terrorist watch lists and needs special permission to visit the USA. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice calls the situation "embarrassing," and some members of Congress vow to fix it.

The requirement applies to former South African leader Mandela and other members of South Africa's governing African National Congress (ANC), the once-banned anti-Apartheid organization. In the 1970s and '80s, the ANC was officially designated a terrorist group by the country's ruling white minority. Other countries, including the United States, followed suit.

Because of this, Rice told a Senate committee recently, her department has to issue waivers for ANC members to travel to the USA.

"This is a country with which we now have excellent relations, South Africa, but it's frankly a rather embarrassing matter that I still have to waive in my own counterpart, the foreign minister of South Africa, not to mention the great leader Nelson Mandela," Rice said.

Rep. Howard Berman, D-Calif., chairman of the House International Relations Committee, is pushing a bill that would remove current and former ANC leaders from the watch lists. Supporters hope to get it passed before Mandela's 90th birthday July 18.

"What an indignity," Berman said. "The ANC set an important example: It successfully made the change from armed struggle to peace. We should celebrate the transformation."

In 1990, Mandela was freed after 27 years in prison for crimes committed during the struggle against Apartheid, a repressive regime that subjugated black South Africans. In 1994, he was elected South Africa's first black president.

Sen. Judd Gregg, R-N.H., called ANC members' inclusion on watch lists a "bureaucratic snafu" and pledged to fix the problem.

Members of other groups deemed a terrorist threat, such as Hamas, also are on the watch lists.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff says "common sense" suggests Mandela should be removed. He says the issue "raises a troubling and difficult debate about what groups are considered terrorists and which are not."

When ANC members apply for visas to the USA, they are flagged for questioning and need a waiver to be allowed in the country. In 2002, former ANC chairman Tokyo Sexwale was denied a visa. In 2007, Barbara Masekela, South Africa's ambassador to the United States from 2002 to 2006, was denied a visa to visit her ailing cousin and didn't get a waiver until after the cousin had died, Berman's legislation says.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2008-04...watchlist_N.htm

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

Too bad what happened to a once thriving VJ but hardly a surprise

al Nakba 1948-2015
66 years of forced exile and dispossession

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Timeline
"This is a country with which we now have excellent relations, South Africa, but it's frankly a rather embarrassing matter that I still have to waive in my own counterpart, the foreign minister of South Africa, not to mention the great leader Nelson Mandela," Rice said.

I'm just glad she recognizes that.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

he always did seem rather shifty to me... :blink:

Edited by Sister Fracas

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Timeline
So get the waiver and quit complaining ... :bonk:

It's not as if there aren't "special connections" that can make this happen quickly ...

Is that directed at Condoleezza, or Berman, or Gregg, or Chertoff ?

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Copyright © 2015 by PalestineMyHeart. Original essays, comments by and personal photographs taken by PalestineMyHeart are the exclusive intellectual property of PalestineMyHeart and may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere in any manner without express written permission from PalestineMyHeart.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh no's...the hyperfocused buzz! This could be the makings of an awesome side project !

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Timeline

It's not as if there aren't "special connections" that can make this happen quickly ...

Mandela

I don't see anything in the article about Mandela complaining.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Mandela

then why the article about Mandela ?

Oh wait .. this is just a random example ... :whistle:

Timeline

Mandela

I am not sure what you are trying to say -- do you feel that the story is not newsworthy for some reason, and that USA Today should not have published it ?

It seems to be current news. According to the article, Rice recently told a Senate committee about having to issue waivers, and this subsequently prompted the current effort underway to remove the ANC from the terror list -- as the article mentions, before July when Mandela turns 90.

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Mandela

I am not sure what you are trying to say -- do you feel that the story is not newsworthy for some reason, and that USA Today should not have published it ?

It seems to be current news. According to the article, Rice recently told a Senate committee about having to issue waivers, and this subsequently prompted the current effort underway to remove the ANC from the terror list -- as the article mentions, before July when Mandela turns 90.

And who is mentioned as the "squeaky wheel" ... :bonk:

so he turns 90 in July ... Happy Birthday to Mandela !!!

i like mandela..never a supporter of winnie

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Mandela

Funny, I thought the article was a about a document, the watch list, which apparently is a bit inaccurate... :mellow:

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Mandela

And who is mentioned as the "squeaky wheel" ... :bonk:

so he turns 90 in July ... Happy Birthday to Mandela !!!

I don't see any mention of a "squeaky wheel."

The only remarks that resemble "complaining" about the situation are those from Rice, Berman, Gregg and Chertoff -- and they all seem to be in agreement that current and former members of the ANC should be removed from the terror list.

Perhaps you are reading another article ?

6y04dk.jpg
شارع النجمة في بيت لحم

al Nakba 1948-2015