eric_and_teresa

Visa Fraud- Using B-2 with intention to immigrate

249 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Just wanted to know your thoughts on couples using a tourist visa to get married in the U.S. and being able to apply for AOS, EVEN when they did have ALL the prior intention to use the tourist visa to immigrate to the U.S. permanently.

It just upsets me sooo much everytime I hear of someone else taking this "shortcut" and getting away with it! :angry: I just had a discussion with some guy in another forum on this subject and he was so cool about it, he said they'd rather take the risk of being accused of visa fraud, because "the K-1 route is too long and does not adjust to their plans", and he disagrees with the immigration laws! What the heck???!!!! :bonk:

Don't you all feel like everytime they let someone get away with this, it's like a slap on the faces of those of us who chose to do the righ the thing?

Would they ever change the regulations so it's not possible to apply for AOS if you got married on a B2? Or even if it remains possible why don't they put these couples to a stronger scrutinity? I've heard many people doing this, and not having ANY sort of problem during the interview! Some of us who chose the legal way, had a harder time on our interviews than they had!

It is just soooo upsetting! And so unfair! I come to VJ every day, and see so many couples dealing with all the pressures and stress of interviews at the Consulates, and hear their stories about the CO's putting people on reviews, or calling them for a second interview or even getting denied for stupid or not valid reasons, and on the other hand I see all these law breakers, using the B-2 route to immigrate and getting away with it, and it just irks me!!! :angry::angry::angry:

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline
:oops: I just realized I posted on the wrong forum, can someone move this to Immigration Discussion and News? Please? :) Thanks!

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

moved :thumbs:

and yes, it burns me up to that they are taking advantage of the system instead of following the preferred route.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I think it's BS as well. I personally thing, they should be sent back home and forced to then apply for the K-3 or CR1.

It's very unfair all the way around.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

i think that it makes those of us that try to do it the right way look like fools for waiting the ridicules amount of time that the service centers and then embassy's make u wait .......they come here with full intent to marry on b1 visa we make it known we intend to marry or are married what ever the case maybe and we are penalized......they say there is not any loop holes in in immigration i beg do differ...................

Couldn't agree more. Wish they would close that loophole once and for all.

I concur...what makes them so bloody special? If I knew how easy it was, I might have been tempted to do it. A friend of mine did it last summer, and he got his new wife's green card in less than 3 months...

I have a feeling that Darren's green card will take much longer...

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Since you wanted to know our thoughts...

1. Current immigration law is not good. That's why it is broken sooo many times. That is why it needs to change.

2. Those that use the loophole are either brave souls or simpleminded people not realizing what consequences may follow.

If anything, I applaud them for taking advantage of the system. Way to go. They don't break the law, so all is cool. :thumbs:

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

1. Current immigration law is not good. That's why it is broken sooo many times. That is why it needs to change.

2. Those that use the loophole are either brave souls or simpleminded people not realizing what consequences may follow.

If anything, I applaud them for taking advantage of the system. Way to go. They don't break the law, so all is cool. :thumbs:

:thumbs:

That's just it. They are not breaking the law. Some people actually do meet someone here whilst on a student visa, work visa or VWP and decide to marry spur of the moment, adjust status and no laws have been broken. If intention beforehand is discovered; the consequences are harsh, however.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Filed: Other Timeline

*crosses arms*

Let me give you a scenario and see if you think this would be 'immigration fraud' -- or 'taking advantage of the system' as you put it.

A couple has filed for K1. He visits her in the US (while the petition is in process but before it is approved) and after a lovely visit, it is time for him to go home. He cancels his flight home on the scheduled day because there has been an act of terrorism in his country that morning and the situation in the Capital (where he would be landing) is uncertain. He attempts to fly home three days letter but is foiled again by flight cancellations due to horrendous weather up and down the eastern US coast. On his third attempt to leave, the first flight out he is to take is delayed because the weather has not subsided still. It looks as if all flights may cancel again.

He says to her, standing in the airport as they wait to see if the flights are again cancelled - "I have tried to leave your country three times. If I cannot get out today, to hell with it - we are getting married and I am staying".

Is that fraud? Are they abusing the system?

Edited by rebeccajo

There are many, many cases where there is no fraud, and yes, it is currently legal. But there's also good reasons why it should discontinued, at least from VWP or B tourist visas because it does allow for abuse. Although I personally have no problems with adjusting from other visa categories, when someone has already been living here longterm.

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline
The way I see it (and I might be wrong) - no, it's not. He entered the state with the intention to leave it. He even tried to leave it. His intention changed while he was already inside and it's okay if he gets married and applies for AOS.

So, the way I understand American laws... this is perfectly fine.

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline

*crosses arms*

Let me give you a scenario and see if you think this would be 'immigration fraud' -- or 'taking advantage of the system' as you put it.

A couple has filed for K1. He visits her in the US (while the petition is in process but before it is approved) and after a lovely visit, it is time for him to go home. He cancels his flight home on the scheduled day because there has been an act of terrorism in his country that morning and the situation in the Capital (where he would be landing) is uncertain. He attempts to fly home three days letter but is foiled again by flight cancellations due to horrendous weather up and down the eastern US coast. On his third attempt to leave, the first flight out he is to take is delayed because the weather has not subsided still. It looks as if all flights may cancel again.

He says to her, standing in the airport as they wait to see if the flights are again cancelled - "I have tried to leave your country three times. If I cannot get out today, to hell with it - we are getting married and I am staying".

its not fraud or abusing the system but it is making excuses not to leave. just cuz he was stranded for a few days doesnt mean he will be stuck here forever. its not a life and death situation to wait and go back and wait for the k-1 to finish processing. no one likes to be seperated from their loved one but no one likes it either when someone cuts in line either.

Filed: Other Timeline
There are many, many cases where there is no fraud, and yes, it is currently legal. But there's also good reasons why it should discontinued, at least from VWP or B tourist visas because it does allow for abuse. Although I personally have no problems with adjusting from other visa categories, when someone has already been living here longterm.

I don't know how it could be discontinued. Honestly.

Can you think of a fair way?

*crosses arms*

its not fraud or abusing the system but it is making excuses not to leave. just cuz he was stranded for a few days doesnt mean he will be stuck here forever. its not a life and death situation to wait and go back and wait for the k-1 to finish processing. no one likes to be seperated from their loved one but no one likes it either when someone cuts in line either.

So you wouldn't consider it fraud or abusing the system, but you would consider it 'cutting in line'?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.