BMJ

Why USA and not UK?

68 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance (Taiwo) will be coming here, but I would love so much to be able to live in London. I was there for a month just a short while ago, and felt completely in my element there. I was so impressed. Of course the cost of living is so outrageously high, which is the main drawback, but I just enjoyed the "feel" of England. I enjoyed the trains, doubledecker bus rides, running to the stations, walking around sight seeing the royal and historic places. But all in all, I would move to London in a heartbeat.

Consulate : London, United Kingdom

Spent month in Africa 06/2007

Spent month in UK 02/2008

I-129F Sent : 03-05

I-129F NOA1 : 03-07

I-129 NOA1 Hard Copy: 03-15

Touched: 03-11

Touched: 03-13

Touched: 03-14

Touched: 07-22.

I-129F NOA2 :07-22

Touched: 07-23

I-129 NOA2 Hard Copy:07-28

NVC Received : 07-28

NVC Left : 07-30

Consulate Received : 08-06

Packet 3 Received : 08-15

Packet 3 Sent : 09-04 and 10-2

Packet 4 Received : 10-6

Interview Date : 10-16

Comment: Issued blue slip at interview to get Police Certs AGAIN :-(

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just noticing this post. We've been making up silly things to tell the embassy folks in answer to this question.

1. We own a cat and he lives in the US

2. The refrigerators are so tiny in the UK

3. There are no electrical outlets in the UK bathroom which throws off her hair-do routine.

4. She's a millionaire in the US and would only be half of one in the UK.

5. Americans hear the British accent and swoon. Being popular rocks!

Actually he is anxious to live in America. He likes the friendly people and the good customer service he observes. I have a house with no mortgage and he doesn't, so it will be easier to get settled and get on with our lives together. We will visit England several times each year.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Just noticing this post. We've been making up silly things to tell the embassy folks in answer to this question.

1. We own a cat and he lives in the US

2. The refrigerators are so tiny in the UK

3. There are no electrical outlets in the UK bathroom which throws off her hair-do routine.

Actually he is anxious to live in America. He likes the friendly people and the good customer service he observes. I have a house with no mortgage and he doesn't, so it will be easier to get settled and get on with our lives together. We will visit England several times each year.

:lol: god the refrigerators are sooo tiny, I don't know what I would do without the big one we have in our apartment right now and the electrical outlets in the bathroom, so true! lol

:lol: so true. I've never been so popular!

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

We're moving to the US so that we can be close to my husband's daughters - at least until they finish school. I hope that we might come back to the UK in 8-10 years for a bit.

I'm a loser. Even though I now have access to power points a-plenty in the bathroom here in the US, I still dry my hair in another room. Don't even get me started about not being able to switch stuff off at the mains! Bruce is so nervous that I'm going to blow up the house if I leave my hair iron plugged in but not on. Yes, it is switched off, but not on, and still he sees it as a hazard. This also goes for cell phone chargers, but curiously not for his laptop. He knows very well that the current is much weaker, but still, he persists.

I'm a loser married to a neuro!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

The no electrical outlets in the bathroom in the UK is really annoying!

I was going to comment on exactly the same thing! Every time I'm there I have to stand outside the bathroom door at my sister's house with my hair dryer and curling iron and no mirror. Stupid bathrooms. :lol:

:lol: thats what I had to do back in England!

I'm a loser. Even though I now have access to power points a-plenty in the bathroom here in the US, I still dry my hair in another room. Don't even get me started about not being able to switch stuff off at the mains! Bruce is so nervous that I'm going to blow up the house if I leave my hair iron plugged in but not on. Yes, it is switched off, but not on, and still he sees it as a hazard. This also goes for cell phone chargers, but curiously not for his laptop. He knows very well that the current is much weaker, but still, he persists.

Even with it plugged in, and turned off, it's still using 40% power, so probably unplugging, may help on the electric bill even if it's only a little bit.

.png

.png

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: Timeline
but you just do it in your bedroom?

Well, yeah. There's that too. :lol: It's just that there's no mirror in my bedroom and the plug's behind the bed. It's just "easier" to stand outside the bathroom door. <_<

That's another thing! My sister follows behind me and turns off the plugs. I don't get it. There's nothing plugged in or on.... what's the worry? Will lightening bolts fly out at random? *GASP* :o I think I've just solved the mysterious deaths from spontaneous combustion problem! :idea:

iagree.gif

but you just do it in your bedroom?

Well, yeah. There's that too. :lol: It's just that there's no mirror in my bedroom and the plug's behind the bed. It's just "easier" to stand outside the bathroom door. <_<

That's another thing! My sister follows behind me and turns off the plugs. I don't get it. There's nothing plugged in or on.... what's the worry? Will lightening bolts fly out at random? *GASP* :o I think I've just solved the mysterious deaths from spontaneous combustion problem! :idea:

She probably has OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

.png

.png

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Sarah and I decided on the US because of the support issues. She would be unable to support both of us over there, whereas I make more than enough for supporting us both. Also, cost of living is amazingly lower - especially here in Ohio. I am looking at buying a brand new 3 bedroom condo for just over $100,000, whereas a small flat over there would cost far more.

We have stated we would like to spend a few years here getting sorted and on track, and then moving back to England. Not sure how that process will go, but that's for another time :) From what I've read though, it seems the process to get into the UK is easier than to the US.

K1 Visa Process:

I-129F Sent : 2008-05-23

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-05-28

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-10-01

NVC Received : 2008-10-03

NVC Left : 2008-10-21

Consulate Received : 2008-10-24

Packet 3 Received : 2008-11-06

Packet 3 Sent : 2008-11-10

Packet 4 Received : 2008-12-04

Interview Date : 2009-01-13 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!

Visa Received : 2009-01-19

US Entry : 2009-02-11

AOS:

Date Filed : 2009-04-14

NOA Date : 2009-04-20

Bio. Appt. : 2009-04-30

AOS Transfer: 2009-05-06

Approval / Denial Date : 2009-08-07 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Greencard Received: 2009-08-21

ROC:

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2011-07-22

NOA Date : 2011-07-25

Bio. Appt. : 2011-08-25

Approved : 2011-10-21 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Green Card Received : 2011-10-26

event.png

Shes sick and tired of the 100mph life style in America. Here where I live is so quiet and everyone is laid back.

Or you could move to Oregon ... lol.

i-710 Process

02/23/2011 - Mailed off i-751 to California

02/25/2011 - NOA1

Although I am closer to my family in the UK, we made the decision to live in the US mainly due to my husband's work. I was also so tired of watching the UK go "to the dogs" with all the immigration problems, taxes, and left wing spineless government that would have me support all the freeloaders and leeches. Also, the crime rate in London is getting worse and criminals do what they want knowing they will get a smack on the back of the hand for their crime. I go back twice a year to visit family and friends, and family come out twice a year to visit (they love it and we intend to have them relocate here in time). The money issue was also tempting. My cash doubled overnight so that was a bonus. My job here pays 30% more than the same job in the UK which surprised me as I thought my salary may suffer here. My standard of living is higher, I eat out 4 times a week, I am able to drive around without worrying that the gas bill is going to cripple me, I can defend myself and my home in the event of attack, I have fantastic healthcare where a doctor can see me the same day, my employer gives me 6 weeks paid vacation, the weather is lovely, and of course I have hubby.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Although I am closer to my family in the UK, we made the decision to live in the US mainly due to my husband's work. I was also so tired of watching the UK go "to the dogs" with all the immigration problems, taxes, and left wing spineless government that would have me support all the freeloaders and leeches.

Haha so you decided to move to the US which has... immigration problems, unemployment problems, is going into a recession and is in the middle of a political debate where it looks like we're screwed whatever happens.... :whistle:

Seriously though, I was kind of sick of all that stuff in the UK too, but remember that the US is certainly not without its problems.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.